4 month old - start to wean or try formula?

:dohh: REALLY? "Not all babies are as strong as mine. She's very advanced"??? Alex was rolling from front to back at 5 weeks and just shy of 4 months back to front. He sits with little support and is 22lbs. Seems advanced to me, but he's doing just fine on breastmilk. He doesn't STTN, but is getting there in his own time.

OP, sorry for the thread hijack. I think you should hold off solids. Summer Rain is absolutely spot on in her advice.

After what feels like the longest two weeks ever, LO had a really good feed this morning, and just the one boob. He fed again 3.5 hours later, I think he would have gone longer but I "needed" to feed him as my boob felt like it was going to explode!

I think my supply has finally increased, not had that feeling for ages now.

I am going to keep on breast feeding until after the new year.

I will need to start weaning in Jan as that will give me 12ish weeks before I go back to work so want to be down to two breast feeds a day by the time I go back, morning and bed time only as he will be going to my mums whilst I'm at work.

He will be 6 months in Jan so should be ready for it by then.

It works for us and she takes porridge from a spoon like a pro. She snatches food from my hands too (I don't let her eat it). She had mimicked chewing when I eat for a long time. She can sit unaided pretty much. She still drains my milk after her porridge but just doesn't wake any more. During the day she is feeding 3-4 hourly. She is happy and contented. Every baby is different but I know mine was ready.

As for what the government says - it is now researching and trialling introducing solids at 17 weeks again to prevent food allergies. I was asked to take part but didn't want to commit to weaning at a specific age. I wanted to start when the time is right for us.

My son was the same and was a finger food pro by only 6 months. But then they both developed very early. I know some babies struggle with holding their heads at four months, let alone sitting unaided.

https://www.eatstudy.co.uk/ is this the study you mean? I was asked to do it too but I didn't fancy travelling down to London for it.

The study I saw was for breastfed babies only. Studies don't tend to yield results for ages. They wanted to conduct allergy testing at one year old as well as other intervals. So the results will be in a minimum of a year's time. It was for ebf babies to start weaning at 3 months with allergens in their diet.

Whilst I know my baby is ready, I dont advocate weaning early, only the freedom to say 'my baby is ready so I will'. Of course not all are ready. Not many babies are as strong as mine. She is very advanced.

But babys little digestive system might not be ready yet :shrug:

:dohh: REALLY? "Not all babies are as strong as mine. She's very advanced"??? Alex was rolling from front to back at 5 weeks and just shy of 4 months back to front. He sits with little support and is 22lbs. Seems advanced to me, but he's doing just fine on breastmilk. He doesn't STTN, but is getting there in his own time.

OP, sorry for the thread hijack. I think you should hold off solids. Summer Rain is absolutely spot on in her advice.

Not all doesnt mean not any! This isn't a competition. It is just my opinion that all babies are different and every mum is free to judge her own. Get off your high horses.

What do you thunk early weaning is going to do exactly? Granted some get constipated. Rumor has it you can get food allergies if you introduce allergens too early. But I am giving gluten free rice once a day and she is fine - my milk is fine so what is the big deal in a differing opinion? I am no idiot, I am a lawyer. I have one child already who didn't suffer from early weaning when that was guidance.

Are mothers not allowed to use their own judgement any more just because of a guidance which uses averages says 6 months?

https://www.livestrong.com/article/252816-infant-digestive-system-development/

Although your baby may exhibit interest in solid foods, his digestive system won't be ready for the transition until he's about six months old. His body will not produce sufficient levels of enzymes to digest starches until around the age of six months, and enzymes that digest carbohydrates don't reach sufficient levels until approximately age seven months. Lipase and bile salts, which aid in fat digestion, don't reach full levels until the age of six to nine months. Moreover, between the ages of four and six months, infants have an "open gut," which allows whole proteins to pass directly from the small intestine into the bloodstream. The function of this opening is to allow antibodies from breast milk to enter the bloodstream, but large molecules from solid foods also can pass through and may cause allergies, or carry pathogens with them

Read more: https://www.livestrong.com/article/252816-infant-digestive-system-development/#ixzz1eGWDmfht

What do you thunk early weaning is going to do exactly? Granted some get constipated. Rumor has it you can get food allergies if you introduce allergens too early. But I am giving gluten free rice once a day and she is fine - my milk is fine so what is the big deal in a differing opinion? I am no idiot, I am a lawyer. I have one child already who didn't suffer from early weaning when that was guidance.

Are mothers not allowed to use their own judgement any more just because of a guidance which uses averages says 6 months?

I'm pretty surprised that you wouldn't research the reasons the guidelines are as they are if you don't intend to follow them! That is the exact problem with Mothers following their own instinct where weaning's concerned. Most mothers aren't scientists, aren't experts in child nutrition, aren't experts on weaning. In fact, plenty don't even research what the experts about child weaning do say about early weaning, of which your quoted post is an example.

Scientific evidence (not rumour) shows that early weaning, even if that's 'only' baby rice can cause digestive problems in later life. You might not know if early weaning has damaged your children until they are in their 30's.

Just to add. It's up to you when you wean your baby, but as you're not as expert in this field it's irresponsible to advise others might/should/could wean their babies early.

I have done the research actually! I don't agree with it. There are conflicting studies. Just because it's a study doesn't mean it is set in stone! There is a difference between stating my opinion as a mother in my situation with my child than providing advice.

I have done the research actually! I don't agree with it. There are conflicting studies. Just because it's a study doesn't mean it is set in stone! There is a difference between stating my opinion as a mother in my situation with my child than providing advice.

You're right, there's a difference, but what you said was:

'My advice is, yes there is a massive growth spurt at three months but some babies have always been ready by four months.'

Midori, I didn't know Alex was three days older than your LO :haha:

https://www.pediatricsdigest.mobi/content/121/1/e44.full
https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/125/1/50.full

I agree with Emmae12uk as I have also looked at the scientific research and found that there are in fact conflicting studies. Above are links to scientific research published in the AAP's Pediatric Medical Journal whose conclusions are that delaying introduction of solids do NOT reduce the risk of asthma and allergies. In fact, some studies found that delaying introduction of certain solids can in fact increase the risk of having allergies to those foods.

In the WHO's position statement on breastfeeding they state that when compared to starting solids at 6 months in compared to 3 to 4 months, "no reduced risks of other infections or of allergic diseases have been demonstrated. No adverse effects on growth have been documented with exclusive breastfeeding for six months. But a reduced level of iron has been observed in some developing country settings."
https://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/statements/2011/breastfeeding_20110115/en/

"In developed countries there are no reported disadvantages to beginning weaning onto solid foods between 4 and 6 months compared with waiting until 6 months (EFSA 2009). A recent study of hospitalisation rates due to gastroenteritis or respiratory tract infection in the UK showed that these rates were higher in infants fed on infant formula compared to infants being breastfed but were unrelated to the age at which term infants, regardless of their milk feed, are weaned onto solid food (Quigley et al 2009)

"The European Society for Paediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition and the North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition reviewed the literature on complementary feeding for healthy term infants in 2008 and recommend that:
Exclusive breastfeeding for around 6 months is a desirable goal, Weaning onto solid foods should begin by 6 months but not before 4 months, Breastfeeding continues throughout weaning particularly the early stages, Introducing gluten* between 4 and 7 months while breastfeeding may reduce the risk of coeliac disease, type 1 diabetes and wheat allergy, High allergen foods such as egg and fish do not need to be delayed until after 6
months as there is no evidence that this will reduce the likelihood of allergies"
www.bda.uk.com/publications/.../PositionStatementWeaning.pdf for references

Emma Hun don't bother arguing some people will always be right don't you know that haha I have 6 children and it was the norm to start weaning at 12 weeks back then I waited with Delaney as the guidelines changed to 6 month I tried my best and exclusivley breastfed her as best I could but she was never satisfied I started weaning her at 17 weeks and she's fine you know your child don't let anyone tell you any different there will always be someone who thinks they know better and before you all start I'm not talking about the ones who's offering good advice I'm talking about the ones who try and ram their opinions down other people's throats .
Even the health professionals I deal with don't try and force there opinions on me as they know I have experience so I will be damned if I let anyone else tell me what to do AGAIN not at the people who are genuinely offering advice I have had alot of excellent advice on here about breast feeding as this is my only baby I have breastfed so had no experience and I willingly listened to everyone who had any advice to give now I'm off my soap box as I can see this getting heated

Both summer rain and myself have given very valid information about not weaning before 4 months without under a doctor's care. It's important not to wean too early. Yes, all parents should do what's best for their child, but also understand the risks of weaning early.

Both summer rain and myself have given very valid information about not weaning before 4 months without under a doctor's care. It's important not to wean too early. Yes, all parents should do what's best for their child, but also understand the risks of weaning early.

I agree 100%. I didn't mean to come off as confrontational with my earlier post :flower:.

Yes you did give valid info which you believe but years ago when the guidlibes were 12 weeks weaning now they have been moved to six month people don't know what to believe I for one weaned at 12 weeks with my others (when the guidlines were for 12 weeks ) and when they changed with my new addition I tried and went to 17-18 weeks she's fine as were my children when weaned at 12 weeks I would NEVER wean before 12 weeks and know someone now who was weaning at 7 weeks yes 7 weeks which I totally DISAGREE with.
Everyone has opinions which we can agree with or not all I know is my babies are all fine and doing well I would never tell another person how to look after their child that's a mothers instinct to know there own mind I really don't want to aruge with you or anyone AS I agree it is best to wait as long as possible but sometimes it doesn't always pan
out

I agree 100%. I didn't mean to come off as confrontational with my earlier post :flower:.

Think it was aimed at me hunnie X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->