4 months baby clenched fist

Unlucky41

Reaction score
Hi ladies definitely need some support here. Baby is 4 months and still Clenches his fists. Not swiping at toys. Yesterday had a follow up with paediatrician and today we going for ct scan to see if he has any brain damage. I am scared out of my wits. I can't imagine what life it will be with a brain damaged child.

Are there other reasons for why a baby won't unclench his fists? Looking at my daughters photos she had he hands oopen early. Getting really worried. Does anyone experience this and what was the outcome?

Thanks

Goodness ... are there any other concerns about tone or is it just the fists? Does he open them ever? Are his thumbs tucked in or on the outside? Seems quite a scary response from the paed if there isn't really anything else. Saying that, it's best to be sure. I do hope he is fine.

For what it's worth, though she did bat at toys on time, reach for them, hold them etc., my first daughter had her fists mostly clenched at rest (not horrifically tight and with the thumbs on the outside) until she was about 5-6 months old, and after that, she still often fisted just the right hand (which was noticeably weaker) - she clenched it, tightly, with the thumb tucked in especially when she was doing something with the other hand (shape sorter etc.) - and when she started walking, for several months she would hold it like that while walking around. I was terrified and thought she had mild CP but she grew out of it and is totally right-handed at 3, and perfectly healthy. :)

I second Meep's questions. That really does affect how I would interpret what might be happening.

I don't have much advice I'm afraid. Permanently clenched fists at 4 months and not batting at toys doesn't sound typical but I don't know of what other scenarios might cause it, other than brain injury (I'm not saying there aren't other things that would cause it, just that I'm not sure what they would be).

What I will say is that my son had a stroke at 7 weeks old and has a brain injury resulting in left hemiplegia (cp). He is 2.5 now and a cheeky, charming little boy who has spent the best part of the last week tearing with glee around the new forest on holiday. If they should give you bad news at the ct scan I'm here to talk if you need to. We've been down the ct/mri route and been down to the depths of despair and back up the other side.

Ah frizbee, I remember desperately messaging you in a panic. I'm so glad things seem to be going well for Alistair, what an amazing little boy. And congratulations on your new soon-to-be-baby! How exciting. :D I've got a newbie too.

I hope the OP will update. I don't think it ALWAYS has to be a brain injury but am no expert. Hopefully it will be something a physio or OT can help with.

Ah frizbee, I remember desperately messaging you in a panic. I'm so glad things seem to be going well for Alistair, what an amazing little boy. And congratulations on your new soon-to-be-baby! How exciting. :D I've got a newbie too.

I hope the OP will update. I don't think it ALWAYS has to be a brain injury but am no expert. Hopefully it will be something a physio or OT can help with.

I remember, and I'm so happy I could help you at the time and everything worked out wonderfully for your little girl. :flower: Congratulations on lovely bundle number 2, and yes! We're in proper countdown mode for number 3. Alistair is fabulous. Speech is his main issue but he's making great progress like he does in everything, bless him. You wouldn't believe the stuff he gets up to. Just a typical little 2.5 year old boy.

OP, Meep is right. I'm sure it's not brain injury all of time that causes these things, and I very much hope it works out like that for you!

He does open them very briefly every now and then but when he is upset or stressed that is his default position. Not batting his toys is another issue.

We did have an ultrasound of his brain and everything looks normal hence for now ruling out cp.

Getting a physio to help and follow up appointment at 6 months. Hopefully he is doing it later eh.

Thanks ladies for the support. Superbriz can't imagine what you had to go through definitely a super mum in my eyes for supporting your son to reach his potential.

Did your doctor every say why babies would have a stroke so early in life? What is the cause? As mother's we worry all the time. Hopefully we find out the reason about my son's weird behaviour. He is turned today making me very proud but with clenched fists. How is that comfy eh

Ah I'm glad the ultrasound looked good. Hopefully he won't need further scans.

I'm not sure what would cause it (maybe positioning in the womb or a mild corporal - not cranial - injury while he was being born?), but maybe he just has some tightness in those muscles that can be worked out with exercises and stretches.

My daughter for sure had a tight right arm. I still don't know why. But along with the weird clenching of the hand she did, she also held it bent against her body a lot of the time, and while she could raise it above her head, it didn't quite extend fully straight like her left.

In the end I paid for a physio to come to my house and assess her, which was really helpful (as she told me in no way did my baby have any type of CP), so the physio will be a really good move for you I think.

My daughter has had full and perfect range of movement in her right arm from what I can see for well over 18 months now. I don't notice any difference any more. Except that she is right-handed lol.

I hope you are able to get to the bottom of it!

He does open them very briefly every now and then but when he is upset or stressed that is his default position. Not batting his toys is another issue.

We did have an ultrasound of his brain and everything looks normal hence for now ruling out cp.

Getting a physio to help and follow up appointment at 6 months. Hopefully he is doing it later eh.

Thanks ladies for the support. Superbriz can't imagine what you had to go through definitely a super mum in my eyes for supporting your son to reach his potential.

Did your doctor every say why babies would have a stroke so early in life? What is the cause? As mother's we worry all the time. Hopefully we find out the reason about my son's weird behaviour. He is turned today making me very proud but with clenched fists. How is that comfy eh

I'm glad the ct scan looked good, that's promising :) you can massage the palm of his hand in gentle, circular motions to help him open it up. I would try and do that twice a day or as often as you can. Try some colourful wrist rattles to bring his attention to his hands and place small rattles and toys into his fists (if you can without forcing) and help him shake them around. I would physically take his arm and bat them at toys too. Show him what his arms can do and he will begin to recognise that he can do it himself. :) If you can see a physio sooner rather than later that would be best, even if it's private. Sometimes referrals can be long and you'll want advice and peace of mind for all of you asap.

My son's stroke was as a result of severe bronchiolitis and pneumonia which led to him being intubated and admitted to a picu for a while. Other times babies can have a stroke as a result of a particularly difficult birth. Some can have strokes in the womb at different stages of pregnancy for various reasons.

Clenched fists is a sign of tiredness, but that would be intermittent before naps rather than all the time. I hope you can get some answers and hopefully rule out any problems.

Clenched fists is a sign of tiredness, but that would be intermittent before naps rather than all the time. I hope you can get some answers and hopefully rule out any problems.

Hunger too....

I guess anything that makes them feel not relaxed.

Meep so glad that your daughter is fine now. It is so hard when the doctors can't give you answers eh.

Superbriz thanks for the tips very helpful. The physio coming 15 Aug so not too far away. She is private and doing a home visit.

I have realised after massaging his hands last few days he doesn't clenched them as hard anymore except when stressed like tire etc. Just need him to to swipe and grab a toy now. He has reflux so haven't made him do much tummy time either which doesn't help.

We need to do a urine and blood test this week. Hopefully everything is fine. Will give you ladies updated.

Yes it was weird. I have bad anxiety AND I'm a proofreader, so I over-analyse everything and have an annoying attention to detail that is beyond that of most. I probably worried about it way more than I should have, but there was definitely something there, and the fact that she was still ahead or on time with all her milestones meant nothing to me! She also choked a lot while breastfeeding and on water - she's only just mastered cup drinking without drowning now aged 3. I was so worried her swallowing was off! I don't worry now, but it's a relatively new development for me.

The physio will REALLY help, I'm sure. They are amazing.

The massage sounds so promising. If he has reflux he may also have some pain of course which could be another cause of the tension. Reflux babies are often a little delayed too - harmlessly, but because they spend a lot of time feeling uncomfortable and having to be in certain positions to manage their symptoms, they might fall behind a little. He'll maybe be sitting soon and feeling a lot happier.

Looking forward to updates. I'm hopeful for you that it will be ok ...

Really sweet of you to keep us updated. :flower: that's good news that his fists aren't so clenched. Sending lots of positive vibes!

Thanks ladies! I think we ate definitely going through wonder week is some sort. He is fighting sleep and blowing raspberries.

Meep I understand what you mean about over analysing. My son is arching back so I look into this and it could be developing issue but must commonly over tiredness. But before the brain scan can back I was like Oh no he may have something wrong.

Superbriz I hope this post helps someone down the track. Threads usually don't have conclusions eh.

Thanks ladies hopefully he catches up soon his big sister can't wait for him to play catch with her hehe

Meep I understand what you mean about over analysing. My son is arching back so I look into this and it could be developing issue but must commonly over tiredness. But before the brain scan can back I was like Oh no he may have something wrong.

I had exactly the same worry with arching and no doubt looked at all the same webpages as you! But like I keep saying, she grew up to be totally 100% fine. :D

Paediatrician wants him to have a blood test. We went to the local blood test and boy it was a nightmare. There was 3 ladies in the room. One asked me has he fast? Hmm for how long 8 hours. I was like you joking 4 months baby fasting? Then they decided no need for a baby. Then they prod and squeeze baby for a vein. Two ladies felt it so it must be there. They poked my son he was screaming for a while already and worse when they poked. No blood then the lady moved the needle around and still no blood except from where they pierced his skin. I was crying my son was screaming. They decided to give up thank God and I gave him a feed.

Did you ladies have blood test for your babies? Left a message for our paediatrician whether is it really necessary. If so where can I go that they will do it quickly and accurately !

Oh bless him! One of mine needed a blood test young for jaundice and it was horrid, my head started to spin and I thought I was going to pass out in there whilst I was holding him! The physio sounds like an excellent route, I look forward to reading about his swift progress xx

Neither of mine has ever had a blood test, but I can imagine it is a horrible experience! I hope it isn't necessary to try again. Not sure it would really be likely to give you any answers anyway ... :/

My son had to have blood tests while he was poorly. They used a special ultrasound machine to find the vein, but we were in a very good children's hospital at the time. The phlebotomy department at the same hospital couldn't find a vein.

Another one to reassure you here. When my daughter was 5 months she still had clenched fists and wasn't batting on the play gym etc. I remember spending half the day on Google looking for 5 month old babies to see if they had clenched fists ...and hardly any did. My daughter also was arching her back a lot so I was convinced she had cerabal palsy. I was worried sick and drove my family insane for months. She was still clenching at 7 months. Anyway, she is now 4 and half and definitely doesn't have cerabal palsy or anything else wrong for that matter. She's a healthy, busy little girl so try not to worry. Easier said than done I know x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->