4 weeks old advice on a few things

amy.j

cautiously expecting :)
Reaction score
Hi mummys and dads!

My Lo is 4 weeks old today she has just under 4oz of formula sometimes only 1or2 oz tho between 2&4 hours during the day and goes a bit longer during the early hours of the morning isthis normal or is she over eating?

Our day generally goes nappy ,food then sleep on me if i try put her down she wakes and then won't stop crying this also happens at night I have tried everything. she just won't sleep anywhere but held what can I do or what have I done wrong oh smokez so really don't want Lo in bed with me.

I guess what i am asking is for advice on regular feeding instead of different amounts and advice with the sleeping I fee/ like such a failure atm

how many oz is she having in 24hrs? at 4 weeks Chloe was having at least 28oz in 24hrs, also don't worry they can't over eat, she would just brig it back up if it was too much.
at that age they like lots of cuddles, Chloe was the same and yet now at 11wks she won't sleep on us at all so make the most of this closeness as it won't always be like that. have you tried swaddling her when you put her down at night?

Hi,
Not sure if it is normal but my little boy is 4 weeks tomorrow & almost exactly the same. He drinks around 3oz every 2-3 hours in the day, he wont go longer or take more but goes anything from 3-6 hours between feeds at night when we finally get him asleep (thats a battle in itself lol)
He wont sleep anywhere but in our arms unless in a really deep sleep then its either the sofa or squeezed into his moses basket as he screams if he is put in the crib,thats even with being swaddled, we have tried everything except letting him cry as feel he is to young for anything like that & its not something we want to do so are just hoping he outgrows it soon & starts to sleep better. It wouldnt be to bad if he slept in the day but for example he was up at 5.30 this morning went 7-9 asleep & has been awake since & its now 4.35pm

That all sounds perfectly normal to me, no need to feel a failure, sounds like you're doing everything right! x

how many oz is she having in 24hrs? at 4 weeks Chloe was having at least 28oz in 24hrs, also don't worry they can't over eat, she would just brig it back up if it was too much.
at that age they like lots of cuddles, Chloe was the same and yet now at 11wks she won't sleep on us at all so make the most of this closeness as it won't always be like that. have you tried swaddling her when you put her down at night?

I guess she is eating alright when u put it like that its just the snacking ones which I feel. Is due to her getting to# of wind whilst asleep so she wakes up for a top up !!

I swaddled her at 3am and she actually slept for a couple of hours in. Her crib she never goes in her Moses so had to buy a crib yesterday will have to see what tonight brings i love the. Cuddles but I don't get a good sleep when she's on my chest x

my LO is 4 weeks 1 day and is the same. feeds 2-3 hourly during the day, will go longer when we eventually get him to bed, last few weeks no problem, last few nights will only sleep on us until he is in a deep sleep after his 10.30 feed! then we can get him swaddled into his MB. any ideas when they grow out of this?

I guess she is eating alright when u put it like that its just the snacking ones which I feel. Is due to her getting to# of wind whilst asleep so she wakes up for a top up !!

I swaddled her at 3am and she actually slept for a couple of hours in. Her crib she never goes in her Moses so had to buy a crib yesterday will have to see what tonight brings i love the. Cuddles but I don't get a good sleep when she's on my chest x

Chloe slept loads better when she went into her cotbed, I don't think she liked the fact she couldn't see anything when she was in her moses basket.
Maybe try and get her into a slight routine with her bottles, not strict or anything but a certain amount every x amount of hours. It might help to get her body into a slight routine. We did this with Chloe from around 5-6wks (I think) and it really helped things, it also helped her to sleep a bit better at night.
If you ever want to chat or anything then feel free to pm me, but definitely do not feel like a faliure!:hugs:

Hi,
Not sure if it is normal but my little boy is 4 weeks tomorrow & almost exactly the same. He drinks around 3oz every 2-3 hours in the day, he wont go longer or take more but goes anything from 3-6 hours between feeds at night when we finally get him asleep (thats a battle in itself lol)
He wont sleep anywhere but in our arms unless in a really deep sleep then its either the sofa or squeezed into his moses basket as he screams if he is put in the crib,thats even with being swaddled, we have tried everything except letting him cry as feel he is to young for anything like that & its not something we want to do so are just hoping he outgrows it soon & starts to sleep better. It wouldnt be to bad if he slept in the day but for example he was up at 5.30 this morning went 7-9 asleep & has been awake since & its now 4.35pm

its wierd how ava sleeps and your lo is awake just shows how different babies are seems we are both doing ok tho so dont worry

its wierd how ava sleeps and your lo is awake just shows how different babies are seems we are both doing ok tho so dont worry

Thanks :flower: I should know the answers really seeing as i have 2 other sons but they are 13 & 8 years old now so feels like im starting all over again with the baby stuff x

Been there, done that!

Hi mummys and dads!

My Lo is 4 weeks old today she has just under 4oz of formula sometimes only 1or2 oz tho between 2&4 hours during the day and goes a bit longer during the early hours of the morning isthis normal or is she over eating?

This is normal. 1-2oz at a time or 4oz is all normal. It's a bit too soon to expect regular feed amounts (a breastfed baby does not take the same amount each time either, but when we FF, sometimes we worry too much because we can see the numbers). She will regulate her feeds when ready, if she is overfeeding then she will vomit it up.

Our day generally goes nappy ,food then sleep on me if i try put her down she wakes and then won't stop crying this also happens at night I have tried everything. she just won't sleep anywhere but held what can I do or what have I done wrong oh smokez so really don't want Lo in bed with me.

You do not have to cosleep if you do not want. Waking when put down is quite normal, but it sounds like you also may be putting her down too soon. Infant sleep cycles are around 45 minutes (if I remember correctly), you may want to wait until 15-20 minutes in before you put her down. If she is not swaddled (I would recommend swaddling though), lift her limbs-arm/leg, and if it flops back down without twitching, she should be in a deep enough sleep to put down without waking. If her eyes are twitching slightly, do NOT put her down, it means she is not asleep enough yet.

I guess what i am asking is for advice on regular feeding instead of different amounts and advice with the sleeping I fee/ like such a failure atm

You aren't a failure - she is doing what normal newborns do, unfortunately sometimes we are given unrealistic expectations by people and expect too much from them. Everything she is doing, is what our older babies did too. You are doing everything right - unfortunately only time will help overall. Good luck!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->