4 weeks old and his first cold - any help?

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by Amanda, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Amanda

Amanda Mum of 3

Poor Ben can hardly breath as he's so snotty.:cry: He's been like it since Saturday evening and he's really struggling now. He's struggling to sleep, feed, in fact do anything. He is so snuffly that it's making him cough when he's trying to breathe in.

I've got saline drops and have been using them, but not to much effect. I'm trying to keep his nose clear as much as possible, but it's almost impossible.

I know he's only 4 weeks and don't want to start the cycle of dosing him up with drugs, but I've got to help him with something. I'm off to Boots in a couple of hours, so is there anything that he can have?

Are those aspirators any good? https://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/st...20&callingViewName=&langId=-1&catalogId=11051

2. chel27

chel27 mum to 3

i would like to hear the response on this to as my LO is suffering with the same :-(

3. Amanda

Amanda Mum of 3

Awww, :hugs: hun.

Horrible when they're so poorly isn't it? I can't understand how Ben's managed to get it as no-one else in the family even has a sneeze!:dohh:

4. chel27

chel27 mum to 3

:hug: to your LO hun xx yeh its horrible especially when they cant breathe properly cos of being so snotty, she keeps sneezing and got horrible little cough to :cry: i also dont know how she got it as no body else has anything xx

im hoping to find something to help her when i go out today xx

5. marley2580

marley2580 Well-Known Member

We got a Calpol plug in thing which does seem to help Kaya a bit. Also sit in the bathroom and run the shower so it gets steamy, or you can get Olbas Oil for kids.

6. momandpeanut

momandpeanut Well-Known Member

:hug:

I dont think there is anything you can actually give but as marley said the plug ins helped logan when he had a cold !

The doc also said to try the nasal drops but i wasnt sure they did very much and propping the end of the moses basket up so they arent lying flat definatly helped !

:hug:

7. angie0235

angie0235 Well-Known Member

We used the plug in that Marley mentioned. It's a calpol one. I also took kathryn into the bathroom in her chair when i had a shower to let the steam get to her nose. Hope Ben and Am feel better soon x

8. mandy81

mandy81 Well-Known Member

Awww hope your little ones feel better soon. xx

9. Amanda

Amanda Mum of 3

We've been to Boots and all of the plug-ins, oils and vapour rubs are for 3 months plus, so can't be used yet.

We've bought an aspirator that we're going to try to hopefully help clear the mucus.

10. thelilbump

thelilbump ♥ mummy to a princess ♥

we've been using something called snuffle babe, a vapur rub. i'm not sure what age is on it tho but you could always put it on his bedding/clothes rather than skin, smae applies with albas oil x