40c wash with detergent vs 60c wash with ecogg

Discussion in 'Natural Parenting' started by SpringerS, Oct 12, 2013.

1. SpringerS

SpringerS Well-Known Member

I'm wondering which would have a lower environmental impact. I normally wash my nappies at 40˚c with a small amount of detergent, then follow that up with a number of rinses. I also do a strip wash at 60˚c every couple of months. I was thinking of getting an Ecoegg instead of detergent which would eliminate the need for extra rinses and maybe also the strip wash but I believe that would mean doing a 60˚c wash each time instead. Would that be better or worse in terms of energy consumption?

Also I've read that very few washing machines actually hit 60˚c during a supposed 60˚c cycle so would my nappies definitely be sanitised if I eliminate the detergent entirely? I know I could buy a sanitiser but I feel that would defeat the purpose of getting the Ecoegg as I want to simplify, not add to my washing routine.

2. Rachel_C

Rachel_C Well-Known Member

Washing with detergent at 40 degrees doesn't sanitise nappies either even if you use bio, so if you're happy to wash at 40 with detergent I see no reason to switch to 60 with an eco egg. If anything, washing at 60 probably increases the chances of stains being set into fabric.

If you want to officially sanitise, you will need to wash at 60 or include sanitiser with detergent or natural washing methods. I think the general advice is that if you're only using the nappies on your own baby, you don't need to properly sanitise at each wash.

With the options you suggested though, I'd go with 60 degrees and an eco egg. The rinsing takes a lot of water which you'd remove the need for, plus eco eggs don't release all that nasty stuff from detergent into the water supply, assuming you're using a standard detergent rather than eco stuff. Yes you'd be heating more water but electricity can be generated fairly cleanly (not that it all is, but you can choose an eco friendly supplier I guess?), whereas the nasties from regular detergent aren't 'clean'. If you're using eco detergent, I'd still go with the eco egg or soap nuts to eliminate the extra rinses if the environment is your concern.

3. SpringerS

Thanks. Ecoegg in my Amazon basket. I guess I can do a mix of 40˚c and 60˚c washes as necessary.

4. Mrs_Bump

Mrs_Bump Daniel's mum

I use ecoegg and wash on 40 with just a pre wash and the tea tree from my cheeky wipes. No smells or anything so far, just smell a bit of tea tree. To be honest I find it easier as I don't have to worry about detergent build up.

5. SpringerS

Expecting my Ecoegg to arrive Monday/Tuesday, so I have one last load of nappies to do on Sunday night, then hopefully we can go detergent free from then on. (Apart from washes of especially stinky adult clothing perhaps?)

6. Rachel_C

Rachel_C Well-Known Member

If an ecoegg can cope with a dirty nappy, it should be fine with stinky clothes :) You could always add a little eco bleach? One thing I have found actually is that some clothes washed with detergent can smell worse than clothes washed without it (I would use soapnuts but I think it'd be similar). My OH has a synthetic top that kind of feels a bit like microfibre but not 'sticky' and after a while it smells musty and I can't wash the smell out with detergent. I realised it was polyester and strip washed it and it's been fine as long as I don't use detergent! I think the same is true of some other fabrics... when they get a bit sweaty, it seems to smell worse. Maybe the sweat reacts with detergent residues, I don't know!

Let us know how you get on with it anyway, it's been on my list of things to try but never quite got around to it.