40yo, IVF #1, abnormal chromosomes. Experience?

Perla10022

Reaction score
HI Ladies!

I haven't been here for a while. Just finished my first IVF cycle, 5 eggs, 2 made it to 5 day blastocysts but both had chromosomal abnormalities and were discarded.

Has any one had this happen once, twice? Any experience is VERY welcome!!
Dr Google pulls up tons of medical studies but I like to hear actual stories.

Thought I was ok this morning when I got the call but with sunset I am feeling worse and more confused. Too late to bug my Dr with more questions!!

Thank you in advance!!

Sorry hun, I cant help you but I wanted to just send you some positive vibes. Good luck and I do hope you get your answers.

Not to be depressing but at age 40 you are more likely to have more abnormal eggs which will give you abnormal embryos. Or it could be the sperm. The best you can do is have the best protocol possible. There are things that aren't good for certain women. For example, too much LH is bad for women with advanced maternal age and can cwll . So drugs like menopur would not be good for you. I recommend SHER institutes. They are awesome for tough cases! They do have a clinic in NYC. Best of luck.

I am almost 40 and I just had my second IVF. They retrieved 7 eggs, 4 fertilized, 2 embryos made it to day 5, and out of the 2 only one was PGS normal. If you do not have diminished ovarian reserve you should be able to produce a normal embryo. True, it might take more than one try but it is definitely possible. My RE said that at this age about one in seven eggs is normal. I guess that also depends on the individual. Can you afford a second cycle? And yes, it is important you get the right protocol. Often the first cycle does not work well because your doc has no idea how you will respond. It is important to find a clinic which has experience with more difficult cases (like advanced maternal age). I did use Sher for my second IVF. Best of luck to you!

^^^^ in my opinion SHER institutes is one of the best, if not the best for advanced maternal age patients, and they don't jack women up on menopur. I am not advanced maternal age but fall in a category of women that tons of LH is detrimental to my eggs. I love SHER! I think you ( OP) should maybe get a free consultation with them ( if they are still free). They were right when it came to the best protocol for me.

broken -can you explain what you are talking about the menopur? I only ask because my dr has Rx'ed it to me for this upcoming cycle, but I was not on it in my previous cycle. Just so you know, I am 39 but my AMH and antral count is really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->