5-month-old refusing bottle - just wants solids

Discussion in 'Weaning & Nutrition' started by MrsR32, Jun 1, 2011.

1. MrsR32

MrsR32 Mum to twin boys

I've been weaning my twins for a month now because Matthew has reflux so the paediatrician recommended weaning at 17weeks. They've both taken to it really well - so well that Matthew is now refusing to take his bottle! He took a bottle fine at 5am today but I've just tried to top him up - he was showing definate hungry signs - he's taking it into his mouth but refusing to suck, acting as though the teat is a spoon. I made up some porridge and he's just polished that off and is now asking for more. Why is he refusing to take milk and how do I get it into him??

2. Shabutie

Shabutie Mum to Amara & #2 on way

I dont have much help for weaning as I havent started yet (starting today) but could it be the teat size? Amara refused to suck on her bottles on a few occassions so we moved up to the next teat and she drank fine. I think the smaller teat was too much hard work so gave up. She has been on size 3 teats since 2 months.

Hopefully someone else can help, but thought i'd throw that in there

:flower: