5 month old

sparkle05

Reaction score
Hello ladies :hugs::hugs:

Could you please share with me how many bottles and oz your 5 month old takes in 24 hours :hugs:

I am having to do a feeding diary for Isla at the moment as she's still not taking her feeds too well. I would just like something to compare with the diary.

Thanks ladies :hugs::hugs:

Hi hun, At 4 months Omar was drinking the max, he was drinking 4 bottles 5-6 oz each & his max was 24 oz in 24 hrs. At 5months he went off milk & some day he used to take less than 12 oz. His average was 15-18 oz & he didnt go for more. It didnt affect his weight gain but we had to hold on offering solids until he was 6.5 months when he started to maintain 18 oz xx

I have to hold off with the solids too until Isla drinks more milk. Today hasn't been to bad but we have to fight her for ever oz she takes. It's becoming quite tiring :dohh:

Thanks for the reply :hugs:

I'm having a similiar problem at the moment, my lo just isn't interested in his bottles at the moment. Have been really quite worried about it, what can I do to get him to eat more. He's only having 4 or 5ozs every 4 hours. He's 4 months old.

Isobelle is almost 4months old and this past few days been taking anything from 7oz 5x a day or 7oz 4x a day.

She is on the larger side lol, 16lbs 12oz at weigh-in last week, so she can afford to lose abit IMO so i'm not too worried.

just keep ur eye on ur LO and if ur worried see a doc. could you try offering less oz but more frequent? say 3/4oz every 2-2.5hrs?

xx

Hi rainbowgirl, I have no idea what to do :dohh: I have been going through it for quite a while now. Isla takes a couple of sucks and then breaks off the teat screams and then sucks again. Sometime she point blank refuses to have any milk at all :growlmad:

I have had the doctor check her over a couple of times, he can't find anything wrong, no thrush, sore throat e.c.t. Isla did have a ear infection a while ago but nothing now :thumbup:

I have been through the really worried stage, now i'm on the laid back stage, if she has it she has it if she doesn't i try not to worry. The health visitor said if she was hungary she would eat :dohh: Isla can go 6 hours without a feed. When she wakes in the morning she wont have any milk for around an hour and then she will only take 4/5oz on a good day and thats after screaming the house down because i have dared to put the bottle near her mouth. It could of been 13 hrs or so since her last feed.

If you are really worried keep a feed diary and pop along to your next baby clinic and show your health visitor. I am happy to let you know what my health visitor advises on tuesday if you like ?

Hello newmummy, we have tried to give her smaller feeds but she just wont have it. I have been backwards and forwards to the doctors and health visitor and IMO they have been rubbish :growlmad:
Isla is still managing to gain some weight and as she started off a little on the chub side lol there not that worried.

I have managed to get 21oz down her today. It has been a struggle but we have done it :thumbup:

two words - acid/silent reflux (ok three words lol), arching back, trying to take some milk then pulling away and crying, then going back for more. Symptoms such as hiccuping and wet burps (constantly sounding like they're swallowing or clearing their throat), feeding little and often too.

Ava was like this til she had ranitidine (zantac) and she was instantly so much better, she now takes 6oz 4x daily x

Might not be this if course but its worth looking in to if your doctor hasnt already xx

oh and silent refluxers always have good weight gain x

Thanx hun, I'm going to baby clinic on Tues so will quiz my HV then too! Its re stressful isn't it especially yesterday when the weather was so hot was worried he would get dehydrated. He's just had 4oz will try to get him to have another oz then put him down to sleep and will try another feed at midnight. Tomorrow I'm gonna try to drop the dream feed so will feed him at 7, 10 ,2, 6 and 10 and see how he goes, hope this doesnt continue for long!:nope:

I agree with Nessicle - next time you go docs/hv maybe suggest you have read/heard about silent reflux and see what they say?

I did hear someone once suggested this to their doc but they said there is "no such thing" but then other peoples LO have been treated for it, so :shrug:

Maybe your LO just isnt a greedy guts lol and she is just having the amount thats right for her :)

xx

Thanx hun, I'm going to baby clinic on Tues so will quiz my HV then too! Its re stressful isn't it especially yesterday when the weather was so hot was worried he would get dehydrated. He's just had 4oz will try to get him to have another oz then put him down to sleep and will try another feed at midnight. Tomorrow I'm gonna try to drop the dream feed so will feed him at 7, 10 ,2, 6 and 10 and see how he goes, hope this doesnt continue for long!:nope:

its very stressful and they pick up on our stress which makes it worse but we're only human :flower:

I'd mention silent reflux to the health visitor and see if theres something she can recommend - first port of call is usually infant gaviscon x

I agree with Nessicle - next time you go docs/hv maybe suggest you have read/heard about silent reflux and see what they say?

I did hear someone once suggested this to their doc but they said there is "no such thing" but then other peoples LO have been treated for it, so :shrug:

Maybe your LO just isnt a greedy guts lol and she is just having the amount thats right for her :)

xx

unfortunately a lot of old school doctors dont believe it exists in babies but I have a book called Colic Solved by Dr Bryan Vartabaudim he's a paediatrician and he didnt believe it til his daughter screamed all day every day in the first few months of her life. Colic doesnt even exist yet they;re so quick to give this diagnosis even though it doesnt exist, hypocrites!!

Dont let them fob you off with colic either xx

Isla is on gaviscon for silent reflux she has been on it since she was around 5 weeks. It doesn't seem to do muchfor her :dohh: may be i could ask the health visitor about trying something else. Not that she will listen. I don't think they like to hand out anything else around here, my last baby had terrible reflux and they refused to give her anything other than gaviscon :growlmad:

:hugs:

Have you tried swapping formula? Isobelle was once on SMA Staydown and she was soooooo content on it, until I got told to come off it grrr...

xx

Oh and apparently Zantac is another remedy you could perhaps ask doc for..??

xx

zantac is ranitidine - thats what Ava had - she was only on it a week cos it constipated her a bit but it did the trick, havent had any silent reflux issues since!! Took me months to get it too its ridiculous!xx

carobel is also very good, its by Cow & Gate and is a better feed thickener than Gaviscon, its all natural and doesnt constipate babies. You can add as little or as much as needed. Most pharmacies dont stock it but they will order it in if you ask its £5 a box but lasts ages xx

Thank you so much ladies for all your great advice :hugs::hugs:

I don't know if it was a fluke but i have tried her on size 3 teats this morning and she has drunk it all with no fuss and cried for more. Although she didn't take more :dohh:
I will let you know if it continues today lol.

Thanks again :hugs::hugs::hugs:

Hope you get her to feed a little more today :)

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"