5 week old won’t stop eating.

Discussion in 'Formula Feeding' started by amberbellx, Jan 24, 2019.

1. amberbellx

amberbellx New Member

Hey so I recently moved to the US with my daughter from England and she doesn’t seem satisfied with the formula I’ve been giving her. I’ve been to stores like Walmart and Target to see if they have any hungry baby formula but I can’t seem to find any. Does anyone know where or if I can buy this formula? It’s too expensive to ship the milk from home or use U.K. amazon as it’s around $150 for 6 cans. Brand and make isn’t an issue I just need to make sure that my baby stays full as she’s taking full 5 ounce bottles every 3-4 hours and is fussing in between for extra milk. I’m afraid of overfeeding her as she’s so young. Any advice would be great. Thank you

#1 amberbellx, Jan 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  2. amberbellx

amberbellx New Member

She also has difficulty staying asleep once she’s settled. She has short naps throughout the day but is a nightmare when it comes to sleeping at night. I thought it was gas as she never parts with her gas after feeding time. But even once she’s burped she still won’t settle. It’s at the point where my husband and I must share around 4 hours sleep between us.

3. noon_child

noon_child Well-Known Member

According to NHS web site "Although it's often described as suitable for "hungrier babies", there's no evidence that babies settle better or sleep longer when fed this type of formula."

I would be reluctant to use it on such a young baby as it has more casein and less whey , making it much less like breastmilk and therefore much more likely to cause constipation - which is another cause of discomfort and sleeplessness. I do know people who have successfully used Hungry baby milk for their babies who have been gaining significant amounts of weight, too much possibly and at risk of obesity, drinking large bottles (9oz+) and still wanting more, but it has been used as a last resort.

If your baby is showing hunger signs at around 2.5hrs I would just offer her a feed then as she is growing and developing very quickly at that age and will be frequently hungry. You could try slightly smaller bottles more frequently if you are afraid of overfeeding her.

I don't think formula available in USA can be that different to UK can it? It would be unethical to not provide the same nutrition surely?? Perhaps baby has grown bigger, or is going through a growth spurt, and this has just co-incided with the move.

I think at that age babies still don't have their days and nights the right way round, so sleep may not be to do with hunger or gas.

minties likes this.