5 week scan, 2 sacs!!

tylerlewis

Reaction score
hey, so went for my early scan as i have been bleeding a little, but now has stopped.. I saw 2 sacs, one that looked empty and the other just a fetal pole with no heartbeat yet! Ive got to go back in 10 days for rescan.. The docter scanning didnt say alot apart from pregnancy is not ectopic.. so my question is am i carrying twins?? Ive never seen 2 black sacs on my previous pregnancy scans so im very confused right now? If one sac is empty does that mean its not survived? Sorry for so many questions but im not able to speak to docter until my rescan in 10 days x

The second could possibly be your bladder? I know when I had my scan to see if I was miscarrying they could see the baby and my bladder.

Im sure if you were carrying twins they would have said something?

Yeh i thought bladder, but my OH said that docter circuled both the sacs?? He could see the screen, i couldnt :-( Been googling like crazy but getting different things!! Both the sacs looked same size, but one was def empty.. according to OH. Thanks for your reply :) Guess its just the waiting game now x

The waiting game SUCKS!!! I hope that you get an answer soon!!

You're welcome!! Are you hoping it's two?

To be honest i dont mind either way? Would be a shock tho as i already have 4!! OH would love twins, im happy aslong as their healthy x

It could go either way, I think. I had a scan at 5w6d exactly and saw nothing but an empty gestational sac. No yolk, no fetal pole, and no heartbeat. I'd say those things probably became visible a couple days after that. I'm now 32 weeks pregnant with a healthy little girl.

If you saw something in one, but not the other, it could just be that the second sac hasn't developed enough to have anything visible yet. Fraternal twins can fertilize and implant at different times, so it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for the empty sac to just be a couple of days behind. Between 5-6 weeks there is SO much variation, as well. Some people see everything before hitting 6 weeks, others see nothing but the sac until they're a little over the 6-week mark. Fingers crossed for you either way. <3

Not much more I can offer. When I had twins in my last.pregnancy I was farther along when we found out so saw two heartbeats. You're so early it could be two but he didn't want to say anything?? Oh man I know waiting is so hard. Keep us posted!!

It could go either way, I think. I had a scan at 5w6d exactly and saw nothing but an empty gestational sac. No yolk, no fetal pole, and no heartbeat. I'd say those things probably became visible a couple days after that. I'm now 32 weeks pregnant with a healthy little girl.

If you saw something in one, but not the other, it could just be that the second sac hasn't developed enough to have anything visible yet. Fraternal twins can fertilize and implant at different times, so it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for the empty sac to just be a couple of days behind. Between 5-6 weeks there is SO much variation, as well. Some people see everything before hitting 6 weeks, others see nothing but the sac until they're a little over the 6-week mark. Fingers crossed for you either way. <3
Thanks for your reply hun, Ill know for sure by next scan, been googling like crazy ( which i should really stop doing) Still really early days yet, just hope it doesnt drag! x

Not much more I can offer. When I had twins in my last.pregnancy I was farther along when we found out so saw two heartbeats. You're so early it could be two but he didn't want to say anything?? Oh man I know waiting is so hard. Keep us posted!!
Yes the wait is horrible :nope: I knew i felt different to all my other pregancys, the dizziness and bleeding for starters.. I feel horrendous!! Bleeding has started again this morning but more pinkish then bright red and the cramps are awful. Yeh docter was very quiet to be honest, all i got was well pregnancy is not ectopic so all in the right place.. So not alot of information really, im kicking myself now for asking questions :dohh: So just the waiting game now x

Oh man that's rough!!! So sorry to hear that! It doesn't help when you don't feel reassured by the doc!!!

Yeh to be honest the docter wasnt very helpful.. Just sat there in silence and apart from saying about non ectopic!! Not helpful at all, my OH saw the screen more then me, i just got a quick glance as i left the room :-( Hoping next scan i get more info and actually get to see whats going on?? x

Wow.... That's irritating!!! I'm sorry to hear that!

Hey Hun, did the scanning person say two sacs? If youve had a bleed from next to the sac, it will show up as black like a sac, near the actual sac. I've had 3 pregnancies with haematomas and sometimes it almost looked like twins sacs depending on the view of the bleed. They never say much do they, frustrating!. Could also be a simple corpus luteum cyst on your ovary (totally normal)

Sounds all good so far tho, probably a few days too early for the HB to show up xx

Hey Hun, did the scanning person say two sacs? If youve had a bleed from next to the sac, it will show up as black like a sac, near the actual sac. I've had 3 pregnancies with haematomas and sometimes it almost looked like twins sacs depending on the view of the bleed. They never say much do they, frustrating!. Could also be a simple corpus luteum cyst on your ovary (totally normal)

Sounds all good so far tho, probably a few days too early for the HB to show up xx

Hey hun, nope didnt say anthing apart from the ectopic thing.. Its hard to explain but the second sac was below to the left from the first sac if that makes any sense? Looked quite far from eachother? Only time will tell, im just sooo impatient!! The pink spotting has stopped now and the MS has kicked in with a vengance..

Probably a cyst then! ...Or another baby :haha: x

Roll on rescan, limbo no fun at all :hugs:

Have you googled vanishing twin? A second empty sac with bleeding could be a twin pregnancy resolving itself. My bleeding wasn't even heavy as most of the second baby is reabsorbed into the lining. A surprising number of pregnancies are vanishing twin but they resolve before 7 weeks which is why nobody is the wiser. Our first hunt at twin was tripling hcg. My doubling time was around 27 hours. I went in st 6 weeks for bleeding and the second sac was smaller and empty. I'm sure by my 8 week prenatal it would have been gone entirely.

OR it could be twins just too early to see the second

OR it could be your bladder like others said

Were you scanned by a gyn or tech? Sometimes techs/ nurses can't legally or for policy reasons speculate about what they see because they aren't certified in obstetrics medicine. So they can't diagnose you with twin or sch or what not

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->