5 year old keeps falling over?

whatwillbex

Reaction score
Hi

Just wondering how many times your 5 year old falls over. Every day she’s been in 1 st aid at school or falling over at home. She’s always been like this. I’ve checked her shoes and they are ok. Just curious really. Her poor legs looks so bad. I’ve told her to slow down maybe it’s her body growing quicker than she can keep up I just don’t know. She has asked for a pogo stick for Christmas...no chance haha x

Is she OK in every other way? Might be connected to ears?

That’s interesting you say that she has slight hearing loss in her right ear. Didn’t think about her ears. She’s just in her own world half the time and just doesn’t see danger. She ran in front of a cyclist yesterday and walked into a table today and fell off her scooter this morning. Maybe she has a cold coming which is effecting her ears.
Thanks x

It could be a sensory processing problem. Could you get an occupational therapy screening done? Also, even if you don't want to get her a pogo stick, getting her something that requires she focus on where her body is in space and coordinate herself is a GOOD thing. How about a two wheel bike? Can she ride a bike yet? If not, it could be good for her to learn.

Two weeks ago she managed to ride her bike a little without stabilisers. She had been practicing all summer but it took a lot of persuasion from us to go on her bike. I’ve been trying to encourage her to go on her two wheel scooter but she struggles with it and will only scoot on her 3 wheel one. Sure she will when she’s ready.
I’ll keep on with the bike riding hopefully that will help aswell. Thanks x

My dd2 is 5 and she has always been the clumsiest kid ever, literally falls over thin air constantly. It has gotten to the point where she just accepts it and brushes it off. Turns out that her vision in one eye is so poor that the brain doesn't use it anymore. She has zero depth perception, which explains why she has always been so clumsy.
Have you had her eyes tested?

Bless her, that’s my worry I just assume all kids fall over a lot. So I’ve just brushed her down, wiped the tears and off she goes again. She had her eyes tested at school nobody told us there was a problem.

Sarahbear, I just looked up sensory processing disorder. She does tick quite a few boxes nobody at school have ever mentioned anything. The only thing they have said is she talks really loud. X

Another thing you could have looked into as well as eyes and if its linked to ears is hypermobility <3

I think there's a pretty good list of things to look at here:
  • Inner ear/balance problem
  • Vision problem
  • Sensory processing problem (i.e. proprioception and vestibular system problems)
  • Hyper-mobile joint issue
I would bring your concerns up to your pediatrician and see if there's any sort of screening for the various potential problems.

It's always good to have your worries checked out. Does sound like my almost 5 year old though. She's gone through 2 pairs of school shoes already and they havent even been there a month. We always joke she trips over thin air. She's so clumsy, drops stuff, bumps into stuff and falls over constantly. Tonight she was walking out her room, tripped over absolutely nothing and crashed into the radiator. Shes got glasses but prescription is fine, has had hearing test and all good. So she's just a clumsy kid x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->