5lbs 20-something weeker - Just not possible, right?

Croc-O-Dile

Reaction score
Obviously, everything's possible. But that's not what I mean.

So I was out with some friends tonight and we were talking about how much our LOs weighed and one girl had a preemie (35 weeks) and she was like 6lbs 2oz at birth. Well then this guy butts in and says "That's nothing, I was born at 21 weeks and was only 5lbs" :wacko:

I was shocked he said he was a 21-weeker so I said "21 weeks? Are you sure? Cause I've known babies born at 22 and 23 weeks, but never 21 and survived"

And then his story changed. He said "Oh, sorry. I meant 28 weeks."
Okay, benefit of the doubt, he could have easily made a mistake on the week.
But FIVE POUNDS?! You've got to be kidding me, right? He had to be lying, right?

I'm asking you ladies because obviously you know more about preemie birth weights than I do.

Normally I wouldn't pay this kind of thing a second thought, but for some reason it's really bothering me because I don't want to assume he's lying if he isn't, kwim?

Alex was pretty over average for her weight, took neonatal by surprise.
She was 2lb 11. At 27+4

I was a 29 weeker and my mum thinks i went home a few weeks later at just over 4lb.

I think your mates talking gash tbh

One of my mates tried this one and last year claimed she was 27 weeker but 2 weeks ago her mum told me her birth story- she may have been prem but not by that much.

Its so frustrating when someone wants a bite of the cake. Its not 'cool' give um a belt round the head for me ;)

Edit: I just read you+me had a 29 weeker at 5oz however - I think there's a reason for that, I'm sure she could help ;)
https://www.babyandbump.com/premature-babies/519308-tell-me-your-older-prem-2.html#post8872354

My baby was 5lb 1oz at birth but that was at almost 34 weeks. Everyone told me he was a really good weight even for that gestation so I think it is unlikely for a 28 weeker to be 5lb.

Sorry, I just read the link posted by sb22 - maybe your friend was telling the truth.

I think the likelyhood is that he is talking rubbish because he couldn't get the gestation right. I don't get any of our gestations wrong :haha: but my mum cant remember my weights.
It's so sad, she has no pics because we had a flooding in our house when I was about 10 and our pics were wrecked :(

Sophie was a 27 weeker and was 1lb 13oz - she was 5lbs 6 when she came home 6 days before her due date. xx

It could be true, but I'd doubt it. At 3lbs 7 oz at 29 weeks, Abby was considered to be very big. 91st centile. He would have been well off the chart.

Plus, anyone who is, or has experience of premature babies, would never remark 'that's nothing'. :dohh:

Sounds like he needs a slap.

My sister's 32 weeker was 5lb3oz and the doctors were amazed. Her 34 weeker was 4lb 6oz and that was much more normal.

My sister's 32 weeker was 5lb3oz and the doctors were amazed. Her 34 weeker was 4lb 6oz and that was much more normal.

32 weeker was 99th centile though, big but still on the charts.

I doubt it. My LO was only 2 pounds 11 ounces at 28 weeks + 6 days, and he was considered a bit big.

Well I am odd person out here...but it could be possible..for numerous reasons....GD would be one, anemia at birth due to infection or issues with mom, and or reactions to medication mom was on.

I am going to say...he is likely full of it because he said he was born at 21 weeks..

Oh I agree nic I just couldn't find the words, but that's what I think too, it's possible, but unlikely in this case!

Hmmm i dunno Niamh was 8lb15 at 35+4 so she might have been 5lb at 29 weeks but id be inclined to think he was lieing just because he couldent get his story right.

I think he was fibbing! but my little one was 36+2 and he weighed 8 pound 6! which scared the life out of me!!! They say half a pound week!! x

Well I am odd person out here...but it could be possible..for numerous reasons....GD would be one, anemia at birth due to infection or issues with mom, and or reactions to medication mom was on.

I am going to say...he is likely full of it because he said he was born at 21 weeks..

That's what I was thinking too, but I didn't want to keep on him with questions. Especially if he was lying :haha:

Yeah, the whole "that's nothing" comment really irked me. It's just disrespectful IMO. Every baby's different and every story's different.

The more I think about it, the more I think he may just be terribly misinformed about his birth because he mentioned having wet lungs. But that's something that I thought didn't happen until like early-mid 30 weeks?
And then I think well, my dad was a preemie, but he can't tell you which gestation week he was born at because the month system was more popular then. So he knows he was born at 7 months gestation and was like almost 4lbs. (if he'd gone to term they think he would have been about 10lbs :shock:) I'm sure his mom knows, but she just always told him 7 months, kwim?

ETA: I just asked my mom and apparently my dad was closer to 6lbs at birth. And was between 30-32 weeks gest. :shock:

Chloe and Jaycee were 3lb10oz and 3lb5oz and the neonatal nurses were amazed at how big they were.
In my opinion its complete bulls**t, if he aint lying get him to get a picture (who dont have pics of their children)

Harry was born at 35 wks and was 8lb 13....so i guess anything is possible lol

I was 38wks and only 5lb 9oz, it seems very big for a 28 weeker, did he say what kinds of premie issues he had?

Bit late to answer, but only just seen it!!!

How old is this friend now?...I would doubt he was born at 21 weeks, years ago the help they could offer a preemie was not as advanced as it is now, and they class viable as 24 weeks, which is the point they will step in to help and assist a baby...so the 21 weeks part is bullshit.

As for being that weight at 29 weeks....Hmmmm, I dunno, very doubtful...my 29 weeker weighed just 2lbs 5ozs as SB said at the beginning of this thread...yes I had PET which caused IUGR so her weight was low...I have never heard or known of a 29 weeker weighing 5lbs.

Maybe it does happen? :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->