5w4d scan (bfp fter IVF).. nerves!! slow HR or no?

skookie

Reaction score
hey everyone.. i was hoping to find some people who had super early ultrasounds for whatever reason (we did fertility treatments and for that you get scanned as early as humanly possible). about two and a half weeks ago, i got my first BFP ever after 3 years of trying to conceive. so needless to say i'm living in constant fear that i can't possibly be pregnant and something is going to go wrong. :( it sucks to not just be excited but to just keep worrying about the next thing and the next thing.

anyway, here is my main question. today we had our first ultrasound at 5w4d (although the US readout says the baby was measuring 5w5d - i don't know if that is relevant). We got to see the little heart beat very clearly! The doc said he only sees the HB this early in about 1/3 of patients so we got lucky. He didn't seem concerned at all, but the heart seemed slow to me. I would say around 80 BPM if I had to guess. i know the heart starts beating around the same rate as the mom's heart and quickly speeds up from there, but i keep wondering things like "what are the chances we caught it right when it started beating? maybe it's just slow." I know a slow heart beat is a really bad sign so i'm obsessing. and it's stupid because the doctor didn't seem like there was anything wrong whatsoever with the HR.

i know this is insanely early, and most people don't get scans this early but i didn't know where else to ask because I don't think I can post on the infertility message boards anymore. anyone have experience with this or knowledge about it?

Sorry don't have experience of an early scan but I think the Dr would have mentioned if there was anything out of the ordinary. Also it must be v hard to accurately guess the bpm.

I know its hard not to worry but it sounds like things are fine, and lovely you got to hear the heartbeat x

Hi.

I don't have personal experience but I had to respond for a few reasons.

one, i hope to put your mind at ease, at least a tiny bit. I think you're perfectly fine!

A) Many reliable sources mark 80-85 as the normal for 5 weeks. sample link: https://uniqueultrasound.com/the-fetal-heart

AND
B) I bet it was faster than you think. :winkwink: I think it's probably hard to compare to your own heartbeat.

I also had to respond because we're in a similar boat. I didn't have IVF, but I've also been trying to conceive for years (about 3) and this is my FIRST BPF too. I got it on Monday and I'm 4w3d today. So I understand the constant nerves.

My dad often says "when you're a parent, you just never stop worrying" (and he doesn't know I'm pregnant yet, it's just something he says in general. So I'm trying to take this worrying as my first experience as a parent, and I should probably just get use to it!

But I'm also not going to try to make it go away, because I know it won't.

When is your next ultrasound? I'm sure the heart rate will have picked up!

That is a perfectly normal heartrending for your gestation. .. :) the heart literally likely just started beating , I'm surprised you even saw a beating heart so that is wonderful hun!!! I'm a constant worrier too so I understand !!!! It's easier to read other people's fears and think "oh, that's nothing!" And then be worried about things that are just as needless to worry about lol!!! Good luck hun!! I'm right behind you in days!!

Sorry don't have experience of an early scan but I think the Dr would have mentioned if there was anything out of the ordinary. Also it must be v hard to accurately guess the bpm.

I know its hard not to worry but it sounds like things are fine, and lovely you got to hear the heartbeat x

Thank you :)

Hi.

I don't have personal experience but I had to respond for a few reasons.

one, i hope to put your mind at ease, at least a tiny bit. I think you're perfectly fine!

A) Many reliable sources mark 80-85 as the normal for 5 weeks. sample link: https://uniqueultrasound.com/the-fetal-heart

AND
B) I bet it was faster than you think. :winkwink: I think it's probably hard to compare to your own heartbeat.

I also had to respond because we're in a similar boat. I didn't have IVF, but I've also been trying to conceive for years (about 3) and this is my FIRST BPF too. I got it on Monday and I'm 4w3d today. So I understand the constant nerves.

My dad often says "when you're a parent, you just never stop worrying" (and he doesn't know I'm pregnant yet, it's just something he says in general. So I'm trying to take this worrying as my first experience as a parent, and I should probably just get use to it!

But I'm also not going to try to make it go away, because I know it won't.

When is your next ultrasound? I'm sure the heart rate will have picked up!

Huge congrats to you! After three years I think we really do start to wonder if this being-a-mom thing is meant to work out for us and it's hard accepting that it might be. I had a friend mention that infertility is the first of many years of our lives worrying and fretting over our children (or future children). For some reason I pictured some of it lifting after getting that much-coveted bfp but so far it has continued pretty steadily. There is always something to worry about so I guess the point is enjoying the ride even despite the fear (like a roller coaster).)

One week until next ultrasound!

That is a perfectly normal heartrending for your gestation. .. :) the heart literally likely just started beating , I'm surprised you even saw a beating heart so that is wonderful hun!!! I'm a constant worrier too so I understand !!!! It's easier to read other people's fears and think "oh, that's nothing!" And then be worried about things that are just as needless to worry about lol!!! Good luck hun!! I'm right behind you in days!!

Thank you! That is so sweet and really helped put my mind at ease (at least a bit).;) congrats on your pregnancy too!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->