5w5d first scan-sac & yolk no visible embryo...normal??

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by Msocwife, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Msocwife

Msocwife Pregnant with #1

Well like the title says I had my first scan yesterday to see how far along I am bc my cycles were messed up. They did the internal one and the sac with the "yolk" inside it was visible in the uterus, but there wasn't a visible embryo. She said I appeared to be on schedule from my lmp, between 5 and 6 weeks along and that we wouldn't be able to see the embryo yet but should be able to at the 8 week apt I have scheduled for the 23rd. So she made me feel like it was ok and going normally so far, but not seeing the ebryo yet was kind of scary! I'm trying to be calm and not think of the worst but I'm a worrier so its hard! Has ayone else had this happen but went on to have a normal pregnancy and see the baby a few weeks later with no problem??

2. Embo78

Embo78 Mum of five

Totally normal hun. I went at 6+3 and only saw sac and yolk sac. Went again yesterday and all was well. Baby was 10 mm with a strong heartbeat.
    It's just too early to see yet :)

3. JaydensMommy1

JaydensMommy1 Well-Known Member

I agree I was almost 6 weeks and nothing then a week later a heartbeat and all!! Congrats!

4. robinator

robinator Guest

Yep, sounds like you're right on track. Scary, I know, but normal!

5. workingmama

workingmama Member

Perfectly normal! It is good to see yolk sac this early. Too early for the embryo or heartbeat. Embryo is usually 6 1/2 to 7 weeks on average. You should have a great apt next time with much too see. Enjoy - you are right on target!

6. farmerswifey

farmerswifey Well-Known Member

Its perfectly normal but I understand your frustration at not being able to see embryo yet. I had a similar experience and at 5 weeks there was only a sac.
    Then a mere 5 days later I saw a heartbeat!! Its amazing what develops in such a short space of time.
    Try not to worry as you just need to give it time.

Lots of love xxx

7. Snowball

Snowball Resident badass

Totally normal, I had the same around that stage. Now I have a bruiser who currently has the hiccups :D

8. Msocwife

Msocwife Pregnant with #1

thanks for the encouragement ladies, it is definitely helping calm me down a bit :) I thought i'd post the photo of the scan just because! Maybe you can let me know if it looks "usual" for between 5-6 weeks, i think it looks like an eye! https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/718/firstscan.jpg/