5wks 4dys No heartbeat No Fetal Pole

Arielle

TTC GRad! IM PREGGO!
Reaction score
I am very worried and sad...

I went to the ER after having bleeding and cramps.
They ruled out Eptopic after seeing my sac in my uterus.
They found a blood clot but it is totally unrelated to my pregnancy.

I was 5 weeks 1 day and my hcg was 10,000
they did not see a heartbeat or fetal pole.

I went back in at 5 weeks 4 days and still no heartbeat or fetal pole.
But my hcg went up to 17,000.

Personally,
I think its too soon for a heartbeat.. I'm just under 6 weeks!
But my doctor says at 10,000-17,000 there should be a fetal pole and signs of a heartbeat...

Any advice or similiar experiences?

Hmmmm not sure hun, i had a scan at 5 weeks and all they seen was gestational sac & yolk sac, and at 6 +1 i seen heartbeat and bubba, i have never had my hcg done so not sure on that xxx

i had a scan and they said i was somwhere between 5-6weeks she didnt say exact but there was just a sac for me too, it was until i went back 2 weeks later that she saw a heart beat and baby etc, has she asked you to go back for another scan?? xx

Well they said they saw a gestational sac and yolk sac..
But no fetal pole.. or heartbeat.

I dont even know what a fetal pole is

i had a scan and they said i was somwhere between 5-6weeks she didnt say exact but there was just a sac for me too, it was until i went back 2 weeks later that she saw a heart beat and baby etc, has she asked you to go back for another scan?? xx

Yes my next scan is in a week.. i should be about 7 weeks

The fetal pole is the baby but it literally looks like a pole until the rest of the body starts to form. I think you are just to early to see anything. I bet in a few days they will be able to see the fetal pole and closer to 6wks (probably a few days over 6wks more likely) you should see the heartbeat. Good luck!!

well yolk sac is a good sign, im not 100% but ive looked it up for you -

The fetal pole is a thickening on the margin of the yolk sac of a fetus during pregnancy. It is usually identified at 6.5 weeks with abdominal ultrasound imaging, and 6 weeks with vaginal ultrasound imaging. However it is quite normal for the fetal pole to not be visible until about 8 weeks. The fetal pole may be seen at 2-4 mm crown-rump length (CRL), and heart motion is often detected when it is seen. In the embryo, the heartbeat is seen as a regular flutter, which should be first evident at 5 mm CRL. If the embryo is less than 5 mm CRL, it is possible for it to be healthy without showing a heartbeat, though a follow up study in 5-7 days will almost always demonstrate the heartbeat.

hope this helps xx

Thank you so much..
I think it might be too early also..
but i'm not a doctor..

I can only wait until next week!

Hi there. I went for a scan at 5w4d with bleeding and crampin and they said they couldn't find the yolk sac. went for a 2nd opinion and everything was found. I also was able to see the heart beat at 5w5d very clearly. hang in there, thinking of you!

Hope all is ok hun its so worrying and you have to wait another whole week you poor thing xx

yes i think your right too early on that thing i posted it said 6weeks 6days or even 8weeks!!, so i'd say next scan u'l c it. Thats the only problem with these early scans they make yo panic, i know i was soo scared and worried after my first one when they found nothing. Stay postive as worrying is not good for baby. Make sure you keep us updated. xx

According to my OB/GYN book you can see the gestational sac at 5 weeks, the baby at 6-7 weeks, and cardiac activity at 8-10 weeks. The level of HCG has nothing to do with whether you can see the heartbeat or not, it's based on gestational age. Anyway, that's what my med school book says.

Thanks everyone..

My doctor is pressuring me about aborting the pregnancy..
But to me its still very early..
I just want to wait to make sure 100%

From what I've read, as long as there is a yolk sac you are going along fine at that point. (without baby there is no yolk sac) Normal hormone levels fluctuate so much from one woman to another that there isn't really a "normal" level.

Just don't let them give you any blighted ovum nonsense before atleast 10wks. An OB in Alabama insisted I have a D&C at 8wks the first time I got pregnant because he couldn't detect a heartbeat. Found out later that I have a tilted uterus and the doctor made that decision WAY too early. Apparently with a tilted uterus it's harder to see that stuff early on. I probably would have had a normal healthy pregnancy had I not trusted him.

Thanks everyone..

Please don't let them talk you into that until atleast 10wks. (see my previous post)

I think that is pretty normal at this stage. I had my ultrasound at 4+6 but my gestational sac measured 5+2 so they are going with that date. At 5+2 they saw only a gestational sac, no fetal pole or anything, not even a yolk sac but they were not concerned the ultrasound tech said i should come back in a week but I havent heard back from the dr and it has been a week tomorrow. I actually put a phone call in to them this morning to ask if we need to do another scan or not and am waiting on the phone call back.

Thanks everyone..

NONONONONONO!! It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to soon for that!! You might want to look into getting a new Dr in my opinion!

Thanks everyone..

Please don't let them talk you into that until atleast 10wks. (see my previous post)

I'm definetly taking your advice..
I would rather just wait until i miscarry if that is the case..

With my first baby I had an ultrasound at 6 weeks and it took the Dr. forever to see the baby, and I don't think she found a heartbeat. But she wasn't concerned at all, and I had a healthy pregnancy. I think its too early for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->