6+5/7 weeks pregnant, empty sac, hcg 13,000....please read

Tizy

Reaction score
....please help I'm so confused.

I went for a reassurance scan on Wednesday where I thought I was either 6+5 or exactly 7 weeks pregnant (based on conception date as I was charting my temps) I had been feeling very down with no pregnancy symptoms at all and had a strange suspicion that something was wrong but no bleeding or strange pains.

The sonographer did a abdominal and vaginal ultrasound and the gestational sac seemed empty, saying that, he didn't to me take much time to look. He said the sac was measuring 6 weeks and it was common not to see anything at 6 weeks. I myself knowing I must be nearer 7 weeks immediately thought the worst. We were ussered into another room and I was very tearful 10 minutes later a midwife arrived and said we're sorry that your baby hasn't progressed and that I'd had a missed miscarriage. They said they needed to do my bloodwork to rule out an ectopic pregnancy.

I got my blood results later that day which were 13,000hcg, the consultant said my bloods were good and I was defo pregnant, that the sonographer hadn't attached very good scan pics so it is hard to diagnose. She mentioned the ectopic worry and possibility of blighted ovum. She said they really needed to see more bloods to make any conclusions...i'm going this afternoon for more bloods.

I'm so confused, is there anyone there who can offer their experiences? Good or bad. i'm preparing myself for the worst but can't help want to believe in that glimmer of hope. My concern is that becuase I know my ovulation date etc ....I am measuring behind.

This limbo is just awful. Xxxx

Im so sorry, I have no advice but just wanted to give you a massive hug and I really hope everything is ok xx

I have no experience with an empty sack or anything, but my last pregnancy I had an early scan due to multiple miscarriages and there she was, measuring 6 +1 with heartbeat and all.

I hope it all works out, maybe since it's a bad scan you can get another one to make sure!

Good luck!

So sorry to hear about this. The early stages of pregnancy can be difficult to estimate in terms of how far along you are. My last pregnancy was out by about 2 weeks at the beginning as I had no idea when my LO was conceived or when my last period was as I had just come off the pill.

What I don't understand is they saw the gestational sac, yet are worried about an ectopic pregnancy? Surely the location of the sac would reveal where it is, thus confirming?

It must be awful waiting for the results. Hang in there.

x

No advice but going thru the same thing. had my scan done by lmp im 6w 5d baby is measuring 6w 1 d and sac mesauring 7w. no hb or fetal pole was detected yet my HCG is 19,000. Im bleeding tho in the mornings so i understand what ur saying about just feeling like somethings off. I go in next week for more bloods and another US.

sorry your going through this, although you know your ovulation date implantation might not be within the time frame you estimate I had my first scan at what was suppose to be 6+3 however didnt see anything on scan just an empty sac I was dated 4-5 wks and told to come back 2 weeks later. I had to go back in 5 days due to bleeding and cramps and baby was there measuring on target at 7+1 so the earlier measurements from scan was off my guess due to late implantation my boy is here and healthy! xx try to be positive xx

I was told that sometimes with an ectopic pregnancy you can still get a "psuedo sac" in the uterus even though baby is developing elsewhere.

However, how can they diagnose you like that based on one scan?? Did they not invite you back for another? 6 weeks is still so early - are you certain of your ovulation date? :hugs:

Until 8 weeks 2 days my baby was measuring behind but suddenly caught up. Apparently it's very common for babies to lag for a bit and suddenly catch up! :flower:

Thanks for all the replies. I'll tag my ovulation chart...I think I either ovulated CD17 or 19 and then got a positive pregnancy test either 10 or 12 dpo depending on when I ovulated... So I must have implanted at either 8 or 10 dpo latest I think.

Wigfield is right about the psudo sac, thats what i was told by the consultant.

they've said back today for more bloods and depending on results I might have to have more bloods on sunday and rescan on monday.

I just don't know if I'm giving myself false hope.

heres my ovulation chart:

https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/Tizy

Luckyou, sorry you're going through the same thing, when do you go back for a scan? xxx

Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Hopefully you'll have a better idea on Monday and see the start of a fetal pole. Sorry you have to wait the weekend. :hugs:

Thanks for all the replies. I'll tag my ovulation chart...I think I either ovulated CD17 or 19 and then got a positive pregnancy test either 10 or 12 dpo depending on when I ovulated... So I must have implanted at either 8 or 10 dpo latest I think.

Wigfield is right about the psudo sac, thats what i was told by the consultant.

they've said back today for more bloods and depending on results I might have to have more bloods on sunday and rescan on monday.

I just don't know if I'm giving myself false hope.

heres my ovulation chart:

https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/Tizy

Luckyou, sorry you're going through the same thing, when do you go back for a scan? xxx

your post sounds just like me. i ovulated CD 15 or 17 (almost positive 17) got my bfp about 10-12 dpo. The dr called me this morning I have a second ultrasound set up for Wed at 8:15 by then my bloodwork will be back as I'm getting a second round drawn on Monday. I just checked my medical chart online and my exact HCG was 19,474. That was the same day as my scan. They didnt say anything about the psudo sac to me. Though they did check and saw nothing wrong in my tubes just a really small baby in my upper uterus.

Is there any chance THEY have your dates wrong? They gave me an estimated due date of July 26 2013 however that would mean they figure i have a 28 day cycle and ovulated on Nov 2. But i have a 32 day cycle and ovulated on Nov 6. Going by their dates I should have been 6 weeks 5 days (baby measured 6 weeks 1 day) going by MY dates I would have been 6 weeks 1 day...:shrug:

I regrefully do have experience with this with my last pregnancy I got a positive on a FRER 12 DPO . went at 5 weeks 3 days and only saw sac, doctor thought that was fine beta that day was 6,400 went back at 6 week 4 day and still empty sac, no yolk no baby. Diagnosed BO and had a D&C that day. I am now 8 weeks pregnant and saw baby with a Heart beat at 6 Weeks 1 day. GL to you, and even if this is bo there is still hope

I went at 6+1 and onlyu saw a gestational sac, went back at 7+3 and saw the sac, yolk sac, fetal pole and HB. It may just be too early. Fingers crossed that it is just a matter of timing!

Things arent good, my blood hcg only went up to 15,000.....so looks like its a miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy. They're very worried about ectopic and im terrified. Have to go back Sunday for further bloods, pelvic exam and stay in to have scan monday then maybe a laparoscopy xx

I was told I had a sack measuring 5 weeks only (at 7 weeks) with my daughter. I KNEW there was only one time that I could have conceived and sperm don't live 2 weeks. I was freaking out and went to PP for another scan 3 days later. She was there measuring just fine. The tech said she has no idea what they did wrong, but they should have been able to see her. (She found her with abdominal only.) The scans can be wrong.

My HCG levels have gone up to nearly 23,000 which is a great sign. It's 44% in 48hrs and around 75% in 96hrs. I had an internal and external pelvic exam with no pain so they've sent me home, I've got a scan at 10.55 tomorrow. The senior doctor said it looks more positive than negative! He said 'let's just hope the baby has been slow to latch on' I can't describe the roller coaster of emotions and I'm not out the woods yet but things look better i think. Xxx

With my eldest I had a scan at 6 weeks and saw only a sac and was told gad to wait 2 weeks for re scan. That day I started bleeding so had blood work and my levels where around 6000. They decided fir be to wait the 2 weeks for rescan. 10 days later I managed to get them to take more blood as was still bleeding ,based on the doubling rate my levels should of been around 30000. They where only 12000. I was told I will likely miscarry but will still have scan. 3 days later I was scaned and there was my daughter. By 12 weeks I had made up the 2 weeks I had lost and gained a week. Since then almost 3 years has passed being on this and I have read so many storys of people like me and you. Empty sac, dates nit adding up, bleeding in my case,ectopic risk, miscarriage likely. And the majority of them are just a few days behind what they thought (even when you no your dates) ir babies have a slow start. Ovulation and implantation is different to us all as are our babies sizes as is the scanning equipment used and the experience and skill of the person doing scan.good luck for the morning x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->