6 days post partum afraid to have bowel movement

Discussion in 'Postnatal Support' started by kelseyyy, Aug 19, 2009.

1. kelseyyy

kelseyyy Well-Known Member

Hi. I had aidan 8/14/09 and have not had a bowel movement since as i am afraid. it feels like the stitches are gonna rip right out (i am tiny and aidan was almost 8 pounds, i had to be cut and have extra stitches) and the feeling honestly reminds me of having another baby. i called the hospital and all they told me were take stool softeners (i did, and even drank a little prunce juice and still nothing) they told me i did need to go, because if i didnt it would just make me feel worse and could put me "in bad shape" (like i'm not in bad enough shape as it is...:nope:) so now on top of everything that comes with postpartum (back ache, crotch ache, boobs hurting,etc) i am not constipated and it makes me have cramps and i can no longer sit down straight at all. i am miserable. did anyone else have this problem? what did you do to solve it? thank you:thumbup:

2. princess_vix

princess_vix Guest

Hey hun.
    I was also very worried even though i only had 3 internal stitches so they aren't as bad.

but best thing to do is relax it took me two weeks and really advise u don't wait that long.

Made me worse in the long run!

Hope it comes soon hun x

3. candeur

candeur Well-Known Member

:hugs: I know exactly how you feel, I was cut too and was in pretty bad shape after the birth, I didn't have a bowel movement for about a week after.
    I drunk fibre drinks twice a day to soften the stool, and then I got Boots Constipation Relief Suppositories. You just insert them (sorry if tmi) and leave it there. It really did help.
    Also holding a tissue against your stitches can just make you feel a bit more secure (I still do this now out of habit more than anything, it's like a comfort).
    Good luck hun and believe me when I say the anticipation is worse than the actual deed!

4. Sophie1205

Sophie1205 Mum to 1 and WTT

It is scary before you go for the first time, but honestly hun its really not that bad! I think I went about 5 days after having Leo. Just take it easy. And maybe hold (and press gently) some toilet paper or a sanitary towel on your bits where your stitches are, that helps to take the pressure off them a bit. Good luck, you will be fine I promise x

5. keelykat

keelykat Guest

Aww :( Big hugs. xx

I had the opposite, had fairly runny poos for several days after which i was greatefull of (i was also scared of stitches ripping etc).

I would eat a lot of fibre, and fruit and if possible do a little bit of walking around as i always find exercise helps gets me going again.

The tip on holding a clean pad/towel over your stitches is good, seems to take the pressure off a bit.

Hope you can go soon and feel loads better. xx

6. angelstardust

angelstardust mother of 3

Eat some bran flakes for breakfast and hold a pad against yourself when you go. Take a book in with you and just relax. It wont hurt, but if you get a compacted bowel, that will hurt.

7. Emsy26

Emsy26 Mum of 4 & Wife-To-Be xx

I didn't go for about a week n half after having Theo as I thought it would hurt, I didn't even have stitches just a graze. I wish I'd of gone sooner tho as it may have been easier. xx

8. NIfirsttimer

NIfirsttimer Proud mum, new wife & WTT

awh hun i sympathise.. i was terrified of going too, but it honestly wasnt as bad as i imagined, i wont lie, it hurt a bit but it only for a moment, and the relief at having finally gone was way more than the discoomfort at going was. i worried and stressed about it for days, then i decided enough was enough, and the next time i got the 'urge' i just ran to the loo and went for it lol. hold a folded pad against your stitches, it defo made me feel better as i too was worried that they would rip out, and just breathe and try to relax.. easier said than done i know. once you get the first time over, it will be so much easier from then on. you could try a nice warm bath, or a hot water bottle which might help get things moving again..hugs xx

9. Dukechick

Dukechick Wife & proud Mom of 2

I took toilet paper, and held it really tight under my stitches. I thought I was going to tear again! Not sure if it worked or not, but I was fine. I was almost in tears because my poo was so hard, but it's like I held it together with the toilet paper. I did take stool softeners, but I swear, they never work.

10. tasha41

tasha41 Mum & Dad + 1

Hi hun, I had a c-section and couldn't #2 properly for forever! I can definitely understand your frustration.. I took senna tablets, they really helped soften things to something um.. manageable lol

11. Kiddo

Kiddo Well-Known Member

I know exactly what you mean! I went a week after having Harvey before my first movement and I was dreading it. On top of that the discomfort was making me tired and cranky. I had been taking Fybogel and lactulose all week and ended up taking a laxative and prune juice too which was rank but seemed to do the trick. Pressing a pad on your stitches and leaning forward on the loo helps a bit too.

Hope you manage to go soon!

12. Donna35

Donna35 Guest

It took me a few days to go too - naughty me I told the hospital that I had done a #2 so they'd let me go home:blush: it wasn't as bad as I thought though