6 month baby won't take any solids

jjbump

Reaction score
Hi all,

My 6 month old LO won't take any solids. We were advised to start her on solids now that she's reached 6 months, but everything we give her makes her gag or grimace. We've tried:

- baby rice
- carrot puree
- sweet potato puree
- banana
- apple puree
- Cow & Gate lamb/carrot baby food

She also HATES Calpol and any teething gel we've given.

We're slightly worried about her progress as our health visitor seemed to make it sound like she needs to urgently get onto solids and 'expects to see her eating solids within a few months' from now.

Any ideas? Perhaps she's just not ready? Should we give her more lumpy food and let her lead the way (as opposed to us feeding her with a spoon)?

Thanks.

If it makes you feel any better my near 12 month old dosnt even take solids. I was told in their own time. Which I hope is soon.

She's probably just not ready. Plenty of babies aren't interested in food until 8-9 months, my son didn't eat at all until 10 months. She will be fine. You could also consider doing BLW and just offering her food off your plate.

Agree with the above. Don't force it :) She'll be ready in her own time :)

ETA: What I meant was if you force it, she might develop an adversion to food all together, if you get what I mean? :flower:

Yes, my LO didnt really start eating til way over 9 months....id even say more closer to a yr.
If theyre not ready, they wont take it....dont feel bad or worried aboout it :hugs:

Don't force it but keep encouraging food and trying everyday. The later you leave it the harder it will be to get her to accept food and you could end up with many food issues and aversions down the line.

If you aren't having any luck by 9months ask for a referral to a paediatric dietitian x

I think in your case I'd definitely go down the BLW route. Let her sit withyou at meals with some of what you're eating on her high chair tray (make sure you don't add salt) either in pieces big enough for her to pick up or small enough she can't choke on them.

Gagging isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's not choking and is a sign she's moving the food around her mouth. She just might not be ready.

I thought my LO was ages off weaning yet, but she's really started showing all the signs very recently. We're holding off a bit longer yet though. Equally, my friends baby, who was over 2st at 6 months, wasn't ready until 7 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->