6 Months Milk

Discussion in 'Weaning & Nutrition' started by sapphire20, Dec 15, 2009.

1. sapphire20

sapphire20 Olivia & Alex <3

Olivia is over 7 months now...weaning...and is still using stage 1 milk...anyone else not switch to 6 months + milk? Or should I be using 6 Months + milk by now? x

2. pixie87

pixie87 Well-Known Member

hi hun, i think it's better to switch soon as after 6 months they need more iron that is in follow on formula, Harry didnt notice the difference between the two it was really easy to switch. :):)

3. Mum2b_Claire

Mum2b_Claire Mummy to Ruby & Scarlett!

There is no need to switch. According to my HV, the need for follow on milk was invented by the formula companies. We haven't switched, I don't want to mess about with her milk. Plus if you give her foods with iron in she won't need extra iron - which, incidentally, is extremely difficult to absorb from formula.

4. kaylynn040485

kaylynn040485 Mummy to two girls

I switched over just because to begin with we had a struggle with weaning so felt that even if she wasnt eating anything at least i still knew she was getting all the nutrients from the formula but olivia seems to be doing well with weaning so u could probably not bother hun Kx

5. ellismum

ellismum Ellis' mum!!

Exactley what my HV said. We only have follow on milk because C&G have vouchers in their and we collected enough to keep him in milk till he's 21:haha: but that's only to save money, luckily it's done him no harm and was a seamless switch. As long as they are eating a varied diet with plenty of Iron rich foods then there is no need to switch.

6. MrsBop

MrsBop Mummy of 2

We switched thinking we could save a bit of money but she got really badly constipated so we switched back lol!

7. penguin77

penguin77 Pround mummy of 2 :-)

I've switched and Jac has been fine. And they can only put offers on the 6+ months formula so ive bought SMA follow-on when it was £6 a tin so saved a small fortune..

xxx

8. Babydance

Babydance Well-Known Member

Snap! but ive just kept her on stage 1 C&G xx

9. cheeselover

cheeselover Guest

I noticed a huge difference in the consistency (thicker, creamier) and Stevie seems fuller for longer? She can now do a 12 hour stretch at night after her last bottle. She didn't notice the switch to be honest.

10. cheeselover

cheeselover Guest

Is the milk supposed to have such a different consistency? I am overseas and buying unfamiliar brands. Worried now...

11. Mum2b_Claire

Cheeselover that sounds like Goodnight follow on milk...

12. saraendepity

saraendepity Daisy's Mummy and TTC!

My HV said the same too, no point - if you know they are gettin a good varied diet then there is no need......:thumbup:

13. cheeselover

cheeselover Guest

What is Goodnight follow on milk? I feel like a plonker but the tins aren't in English. It has '2' written on it and '6+M'. We have just come back from holiday where Stevie suffered terrible constipation for a day or two. We have just been adding extra water to her formula (40-50ml) and she has been fine ever since.

14. mommyof3co

mommyof3co Mommy of 4 amazing boys!

With Landon we were told there was no need to switch. Our formula is a big different over here, unless it's changed which I'm pretty sure it hasn't ours starts at 9mo and up for follow on stuff, and is meant more for toddler milk instead of whole milk, like you would use it past a year if you wanted or if they weren't growing well or something. But we were told using the "first stage" formula was just fine all the way to a year, which is what we did

15. Mum2b_Claire

It has cereal added to it and would certainly explain the constipation. It's designed to keep babies fuller for longer at night.

16. Connah'sMommy

Connah'sMommy Well-Known Member

My HV said there is no need to switch so i wont be changing it at all :D

17. Samemka

Samemka Mummy of 2 girlies

I switched Emma's milk the other day and - this is probably a complete coincidence but - for the past 2 nights she's slept 6pm-6am whereas she'd been waking at 3am for weeks. I really doubt this is anything to do with the formula though but thought I'd mention it to show it doesn't seem to have upset her tummy or anything :)

Only difference I notice is that this milk (Aptimal) is extremely frothy! The stage 1 milk was never frothy unless you used a carton of it but the follow on milk is! Doesn't seem to bother Emma though :)

18. NIfirsttimer

NIfirsttimer Proud mum, new wife & WTT

we arent going to change.. the only real advantage is the clubcard points in tesco, as you dont get any for stage one, and for me its just not a good enough reason to start messing with her milk when shes doing fine on first!

19. please08

please08 Dolly, Dinkie & The Bump

I've changed Lucy since Sunday, but she seems to be alot fuller and tis harder to feed her, When she'd usually slug her bottles and eat her food throughout the day she seems to be struggling now :( Not waking during the night or anything but just seems less interested :( Anyone have this?????