6 Weeks - It's finally sunk in

Norwegian7

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm completely new to this forum (except for creeping on your threads for the past couple of days :p ), so I thought I would post something here. I had my first, slightly positive test, 10 days ago, and went to the doctor for a blood test right away. I have had two miscarriages at 5 weeks before, so they told me to call them as soon as I found out. My first test showed that my HCG level was only 11, at almost 5 weeks, and they told me to prepare for another miscarriage; so I had a pretty miserable weekend ahead of me. I then took two more blood tests this week, and although my HCG levels are still low, they are growing at the appropriate rate, and the doctor told me he didn't need to see me again until my appointment at 10 weeks :)

So this is the first time I've let myself think "this might actually be it!" I have never been this far along before, and it feels weird to start planning for a baby instead of just hoping for the best!

Congrats!

I'm at 8 weeks with my first and, despite 3 positive tests and blood work, it still hasn't sunk it. Hopefully it will after my first ultrasound in a couple days.

Thank you! I am so tempted to have another blood test done next week, but since my levels just seem to be lower than average, I don't think it would do much to reassure me. So I'm focusing on how excited I am to share the news with my family in a few weeks instead! :)

On a sidenote: Do they do an ultrasound on the 8-10 week visit, or is that something you need to schedule separately?

Congratulations. It feels so surreal until you actually see your little baby on a scan. I'm 12 weeks and now that my symptoms are gone some days I wonder is there still a baby in there? lol

Thank you! I am so tempted to have another blood test done next week, but since my levels just seem to be lower than average, I don't think it would do much to reassure me. So I'm focusing on how excited I am to share the news with my family in a few weeks instead! :)

On a sidenote: Do they do an ultrasound on the 8-10 week visit, or is that something you need to schedule separately?

My Dr doesn't do blood work and ultrasounds at her office; I just got requisitions for them separately and made appts for myself. By the time I had my first prenatal appt, I was already passed 7 weeks, so it just works out that I'll be 8 weeks along for my ultrasound.

I've heard of some women going to ultrasounds at like week 5 or 6 and not seeing/hearing a heartbeat cuz things weren't far enough along. So I'm a little happy to have my first scan a little further in so I'll hopefully get to experience the heartbeat.

First congrats! Can you tell me what your followup levels were? I'm supoosed to be 6 weeks and right on 6w0d my hcg was super low, 107. Not sure what to think until next BT on tuesday.

My first appointment is Wednesday and I'll be 6 weeks exactly. My office does ultrasounds in the office, so I'll have that first then see the doctor.

deedee: My HCG level was 11 at 4+5, then 121 at 5+2, and 272 at 5+4. They seemed to think it was fine since it was more than doubling in 48 hours. Fingers crossed for you!

Sounds like you might have caught it super early which is why you have low numbers but the doubling is good. I don't get my first appointment until February 1st at 10-11 weeks!!

Sounds like you might have caught it super early which is why you have low numbers but the doubling is good. I don't get my first appointment until February 1st at 10-11 weeks!!

I was actually almost 5 weeks when I tested. My period was three days late. But we'll see what the doctor says when I see her in January. Either way I have stopped worrying about it. It seems like it's much more important that the levels are doubling, so I'm happy :)

I'll also be 10 weeks at my first visit! I'm on vacation for Christmas, so I couldn't get in sooner. Good luck to us both!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->