--

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by new_mummy, Jun 4, 2011.

1. new_mummy

new_mummy Well-Known Member

2. mummaofthree

mummaofthree just me + three.... <3

awwww def sounds like wind... i used to put colief in harrys feeds.... x

3. lauren10

lauren10 1 DD, 1 angel & pregnant!

how old is he? my lo did this for a while...I thought maybe the sucking action was making her gums sore. We never figured it out, but it passed

4. LJaydow

LJaydow Jack, Elizabeth

My LO was like this and he has reflux. Might be worth seeing if he fits any other symptoms of it.

Symptoms
    • Frequent spitting up or gulping with a painful look on the face, as if heartburn
    • Projectile vomit, sometimes out the nose
    • Sour breath
    • Persistent hiccups or cough
    • Excessive fussiness, crying or colic
    • Sudden bursts of painful crying
    • Poor day and/or nighttime sleep habits
    • Constantly wants to nurse or refuses to nurse
    • Poor feeding habits - arches back, pulls up legs, stiffens or screams while feeding or refuses to eat while still hungry
    • Prefers upright or inclined positions
    • Always wants to be held

5. Mel+Bump

Mel+Bump Well-Known Member

It sounds like colic or reflux.

My LO had it until she was around 4 months and for the first month or 2 it was a nightmare. Have you tried colief or infacol? If your LO is above 1 month old then try some gripe water before or after a feed (I recommend after a feed) and it really helps get the wind up.

It sounds strange, but hold your LO under his armpits and sway him backwards and forwards and side to side gently. This really helped my LO get some wind up (not all of it, but some).

6. aliss

aliss Well-Known Member

How old is your baby?

I would bet my paycheque on reflux... your baby needs to be seen by a pediatrician asap.

7. new_mummy

8. LJaydow

LJaydow Jack, Elizabeth

Given the symptoms he has id bet my bottom dollar that it is. Its likely the dr will prescribe infant gaviscon to thicken his milk - you can buy it from the pharmacy. a few people here recomend carobel, a natural product, that does the same minus the possible constipation that comes from gaviscon

My LO is on gaviscon, plus omeprazole which lessens the stomach acid produced and domperidone which helps stop the regurgitation of the stomachs contents. See your gp and ask for a referral to a paediatrician :)

x

9. sapphire1

sapphire1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it definitely sounds like reflux. Get LO checked out asap, as it's really painful for them. Holly had the same symptoms that you bolded in LJaydow's post, she never really wanted to be held upright. She was on ranitidine (an acid inhibitor), and it really helped. Hope LO gets sorted soon x x

10. aliss

aliss Well-Known Member

I would see a pediatrician (as opposed to GP) but doctors can prescribe a variety of medications to help keep the acid down. In the meantime, try and give smaller, but more frequent feeds (ie. 1-2 hours) and keep baby upright after feeds.

11. tb2962

tb2962 Well-Known Member

My baby was like this for a while up until about 3 months. It wasn't every feed, just in the evenings. We used colic drops and Dr Browns bottles, but at about 3 months she just stopped - grew out of it. I hope you can find something that helps, it can be very distressing :flower:

12. KellyC75

KellyC75 Mum of 4 <3

My daughter has 'silent reflux' (reflux~without the projectile vommiting)

If I were you, id talk to your HV &/or Doctor :flower:

Good luck, its hard work :hugs:

13. someoldgirl

someoldgirl Well-Known Member

I agree that I think it sounds like reflux. We had this from around 1 week old. Assumed it was a problem with the bottles/colic. We tried every bottle and colic remedy going and NOTHING worked. Eventually after a few weeks of thinking it was something we just had to put up with we thought it may have been reflux (at about 5 weeks) took him to a&e (to bypass the GP and get seem by a paed) and they diagnosed reflux. He is now 10 weeks and on medication and most of the symptoms cleared up. We still have the odd time when it flares up and he still have sicky days but he drinks a lot better.

Get him seen to. It's not something you just have to cope with and if it is reflux, the right medication can really help. x

14. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

This is what my little one was like, the girls on here helped to find out it was actually reflux. She now has double dose of gaviscon in each feed. She's much better and I don't dread feeding times anymore. I would book an appointment with your GP x

15. new_mummy

16. emmamc28

emmamc28 mum to charlotte and ben

have you tried changing the floe of the teat? all 3 of mine were on medium flow at about 2 weeks cuz they just wernt getting the milk quick enuf.

conner gets like this too sometimes not sure why but the teat change definately helped me and them. its maybe worth a try

https://global.thebump.com/tickers/ttf7fc7.aspx

17. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

The teat change also helped us. I don't know why they have ages on. Gracie is now on level 3 teat and she's nowhere near 6month+ x