7 week sono ~ Baby and yolk sac or twins?

Not sure what others think they are seeing, but a tech isn't going to miss a twin at this stage. Seriously, a bunch of random people are not going to know more than a sonographer who is trained in this. Congratulations on your baby girl!

Actually twins do get missed. Not saying that it happens all the time. It's rare but it does happen. And I'm also not saying that "a bunch of random people" know more than the tech. But that it's possible that the tech missed it because she was more focused on trying to see the heart, face and gender. She had a hard time seeing those things because I have a frontal placenta and the baby was facing the placenta. And the face that people are seeing is between the baby and the placenta, which makes me wonder if there is one hidden in the placenta.

Congrats on the little girl!

Why not just call your doctor and voice your concern? I'm certain the doctor has a copy of the ultrasound and would be evaluating it as well.

I agree with most though that it would be pretty difficult for a trained sonographer to miss a twin at this stage.

Just read your thread... The last photo you posted I can see what you're saying, looks like a little eye and nose behind the baby...wouldn't that be crazy if they missed another one!

It does look like another baby.....i would express your concerns like someone else said. Let us know!

I cant make out the first pic at all!! Lol! But the second pic I can defo see what you mean, it does look like another face! Im sure its not and they would have seen another baby if there was one there but can certainly see what you mean and why you would be concerned

If your concerned ask them!

But even at 14 and 16 weeks it was very obvious on my scans that there's two and very difficult to get a picture of just one of them.

Follow your gut feeling and ask!

I very highly doubt that a trained sonographer will have missed a twin at 18 weeks along... But as others have said, if it really concerns you, ask for a second opinion.

I can also see another little face on your 2nd scan pic. Trust your gut feel and see your doctor for his opinion. Please keep us updated! x

Why don't you just ask the doctor/sonographer/midwife if you can have another scan/check up, posting here is just getting more speculation, no actual answers. Surely they would've heard two heartbeats.

What kind of twins are you having? Since I only have 1 sack and 1 placenta, if this is twins, they're monoamniotic twins so it would be easier for one to be hiding behind the other.

I plan to bring it up at my next appointment and see about getting another sonogram. Just posting on here to pass the time :)

Looks like just 1 beautiful baby to me. No way at 18 weeks someone would miss a second baby on ultrasound. Especially unlikely since you have had multiple ultrasound appointments.

Also your dr would be measuring your fundal height by now and it would be way off if you were having twins.

Agree with everyone saying an 18 week old twin would be hard to miss, esp with the sophisticated technology they use these days.

But, if you're still concerned, bring it up at your next doctor's visit. Fundal height and heartbeats on a doppler can be done in the office and should give you the answers you're seeking.

Above all, great ultrasound pic! Looks like you've got a healthy, sweet little girl in there. :)

Btw it completely depends where you are, even with twins fundal height isn't done for about another 8weeks in the uk!

My twins are MC/DA - monochorionic diamniotic, so identical, one placenta and two sacs. I'm sure they would have seen another arm/leg poking out at some point, my two lay one on top of the other, in bunk beds, and are always flipping around and kicking each other. Theirs HB's are super close together so even with a scan it's hard to separate them but they do sound different so I can distinguish with my doppler, one sounds like a train the other a drum and they are always right next to each other. So it's not always that easy to diagnose twins without a scan :thumbup:

I would say you just have the one in there 4d scans often bring up shapes that can be mistaken for a face it doesn't mean it is one. At 18 weeks I highly doubt the sonographer would miss a second baby even if a second baby is hiding behind the other you would expect to at least see extra arms or legs or a hint of another part of the body.

I wouldn't put too much thought into it tbh and I doubt they will scan you again because your friends think they see another baby. They will go on what the sonographer reports on the scan. Extra scans are only offered when there is a medical need for them x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->