8 month Sleep regression please help

starlight2801

Reaction score
My daughter has always been a great sleeper but has started waking once or twice in the night for the past few weeks. This doesn't sound so bad until I add that she's awake for at least two hours if not more.

I understand the reasons why she may be waking; mental leaps, physical development (she has just started crawling) with a bit of teething thrown in but I don't know how I should be handling it.

She doesn't want milk and doesn't accept a feed and only sitting with her keeps her quiet. If I'm not in the room she constantly shouts but being in the room or cuddling her quitens her down but does not get her to sleep. It's like she's wide awake and wants to get up.

My husband is working away at the moment and I'm exhausted and don't know what to do. She's been awake 2 1/2 hours now and isn't showing any signs of wanting to sleep.

Please help

If she's been sleeping through the night before this, then that's a GREAT thing! You know she can do it!

What time is bed time and how many naps is she getting/how long? Maybe try keeping her up longer in the evenings if you can. (Easier said than done though). Or, it could be the opposite. I know that some infants wake more frequently if they aren't getting adequate sleep during the day. Try experimenting with that.

My son started doing the same things at around this age. He'd wake and just be UP...he'd cry until I'd go to him. Eventually, I said enough. Night time is for sleeping. Lots of people have their own opinions on cry it out, but if baby has been successful sleeping through the night before, then they can do it again.

Do you have a night light in her room? Does she have a lovey or favorite blanket? These have always helped my kids.

Bottom line is, if you keep going to her, she's going to expect it. Who wouldn't want their favorite person in the middle of the night? (YOU! :winkwink:). If I were you, I would break the habit now and stop going in. It will be tough (on both of you) for a couple of nights, but it does work. You are not damaging her! And she will still love you! Promise!

I would say the opposite of the above, just to confuse you lol! If she was sleepingthroigh before then Shea waking now for a reason. She obviously needs you if she calls for you. Have you tried bring her into bed with you for cuddles? It could he the start of separation anxiety and she just wants to know you're near. Or is she trying to learn something new? That can cause it.

https://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-sleep-patterns/8-9-10-month-old-baby-sleep-regression/

We've just got it too. He's trying to master crawling I think.

We have this too!! My perfect 7-7 sleeper has now been waking for few hours every night ready to play!!! Last few nights it's just been waking once for 2 hours but then last night she went to bed at 7 , woke up at 745, wide awake. Finally went to bed at 10pm, woke at 1230, went back to bed at 130, woke up every hour since until I gave up at 5 and got up!!

She will only be settled by me (she normally happily goes to anyone!!!) I think she is teething along with the mental development stage (think its 34-37weeks)

Can't wait for it to pass!!! Am hoping she'll go back to sttn once this is over!! If
Not then I might try alternative methods!!!!

Thanks for you replies, it's really reassuring to hear that we're not the only ones going through this. It literally is like she's decided enoughs enough with sleep and it's time to play. She quitens down if I go to her but still doesn't sleep. If I bring her to bed for snuggles she is happy but giggles and squeals and tries to get down to play. I have also tried not going to her Its not really CIO though as I will go to her if she cries but often she doesn't cry she just shouts like she does when she's up and playing. Still no success.
She goes to bed at around 7.30 usually and naps twice in the day for a total of between 2-3 hours. I have experimented with earlier and later bed times without any results as yet. It's like she's forgotten she can settle herself or playtimes so much fun now she's mobile she just wants to do it, not sure which

Yeah, we're going through this too. I did hear somewhere that the 4 mth sleep regression leads to a permanent change in sleep habits but the 8/9 mth regression is just a blip. We were up for one and a half hours last night before I just brought her into bed with us. Usually I just sit with her and dont chat/look at her but last night my feet were cold so I gave up - lol! She slept much better with us after taking another 20 mins or so to settle but we won't be doing it every night. I'm wearing socks to bed tonight :haha:

Fingers crossed it doesn't last long - we've had this on & off for about 3 weeks

Oh my god I'm so glad to read this my 36 week year old has been a nightmare the last few weeks - I'm literally sitting here in tears as we speak. She used to sleep 7-7 no problem now she's up for at least 1 2hr stretch everynight, she's rolling constantly in her cot and getting upset, she won't go down for naps, refuses bottles and is generally so sensitive atm. I actually feel like I can't cope with her. I hope this is aregression as iv started wondering if she doesn't like me or has a behavoural problem. I'm so sleep deprived! Hugs to anyone going through the same it's torture x

Maia is also refusing bottles and I wondered if this had anything to do with it. Hope it is a blip that doesn't last too long. I was sitting in tears when I made the OP and it's not nice. Hugs everyone xx

Hi :) we are exactly the same here, except my LO is on thyroxine which has just been put up so we don't know if that's it, or the sleep regression! She happily goes down for naps and her initial bedtime at 7 and self settles fab but these last few nights she has been up and AWAKE from about 10:30-1. Refuses milk (or only has 1oz), isn't windy etc and she just wants to play. She will scream if we leave the room and I'm really not ready for and CC/CIO at the moment so she just comes into our bed. With me being PG and OH working we need the sleep! I usually wake about 2am and put her back in her bed where she happily sleeps til morning. I'm hoping it doesn't last too long!

Cheers hun, I don't know how you cope with being preggers too. I'm having a horrendous day today. LO being really fussy which I could cope with if I wasn't so knackered :-(

Oh god the health visitor phoned me back and it seems they advocate CC which I have reservations about so really don't know what to do now :-(

I'm just gonna roll with it. It's hell, but I'd rather have an awful week or so than do any kind of CC CIO. I know that's my opinion and I'm not slamming anyone that does it, but I really could never do that.

Just because your HV suggests it you dont have to do it Hun :) just go with what you feel happy doing. That's why my LO comes into our bed as I can't listen to her cry and get upset!!

Thankyou, I'll just roll with it too and fingers crossed it will only be short term. If it turns out to be long term I'll have to weigh it up again. I too don't want to criticise how anyone else chooses to parent but I can't listen to my baby cry either.

I feel exactly the same as you! i can manage a wee cry, but as soon as the heart wrenching wails start i'm right there, even if the little sod giggles and says mumum as soon as she sees me! I think that means she just wants to see me (or OH!)

The previous posters are right about CC. You've gotta go with your gut and mommy instincts. It's so much easier said than done. If the cries become full on wails, then I go to my son immediately. If it's a light cry (tired sounding), then I try to stay away and let him fall back to sleep on his own. It's SO darn tough!

If your daughter will sleep in your bed with you, then that's awesome. My son is such a climber/crawler that he thinks it's play time! :wacko: He's a stubborn little guy - men, go figure!

Hope things improve for you soon! hugs!

Thanks LauraLu, my daughter also thinks its playtime and I don't think I can risk bringing her to my bed when I'm really tired and at risk of falling asleep myself. A few times recently I've had her on the bed when I've been folding washing and I've had to catch her to stop her crawling off head first.
I've been reading about the baby whisperer PUPD method. Anyone tried or thought about trying that?

It seems to work well for some. I have tried a variation of it (no crying) and it has helped, but I think that was more down to billy being ready to self settle. He can go to sleep easily now with a Few shhhs but won't stay asleep. Hellish night last night, DH taken him to docs this morning as we think he may have infection which won't be helping. DH taking night off work tonight so I can sleep downstairs as I'm not coping today. It's so hard :hugs:

We did PUPD again last night. I've used it on & off since lo was about 5 mths old. It was tricky last night because she's now standing in the cot but I just kept lying her down, saying 'sleepy time' & leaving the room.

She woke at 3.30 and was resettled by 4.10 so it worked for us. Definately beat being up one & a half hours the night before :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->