• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

8 weeks 4 days, measuring small :/

discohospital

Reaction score
2+ weeks ago I had an u/s and the baby was measuring 0.33 cm which made me 6w+0d. I thought I was 6w+2d or 3d, but because I have irregular cycles and don't know my exact ovulation day (my best guess is cycle day 22-24) I thought that was probably it and they dated the baby's age based on that u/s.

Today I had another u/s at 8w+4d (new OB) and the baby was measuring 1.68cm making it 8w+1d. That can't be the correct age even with very late ovulation. Hubby wasn't around for any "baby making" after that, so I know it can't be that late.

The doctor said within 5 days they don't worry, but since the baby was smaller than I expected the first time around also, it does kind of add up to about that much behind. He also said it is hard to measure when they're so small because the machine is 2D and the baby is not. He said the HB looked good but didn't give me any numbers.

So basically now I'm just worried (of course). I do realize that if something isn't right there isn't much that can be done, but I guess I am just hoping for reassurance. Has anybody had experience with something similar?

In the early weeks my son always measured spot on, or a day or two ahead, so I try to tell myself measuring a day or two behind is really no different. But of course I can't help but worry something is wrong with the placenta or baby :/

Sorry you are worrying! Try to remember that at this tiny size even the slightest mistake in the measurements can make a difference. At my 1st early scan, the sonographer measured me a few days behind at first, but just when she was about to stop the baby moved ever so slightly and she got another measurement that was where i thought... but of the baby hadn't moved she would have went with the 1st measurement and thought nothing of it =)
The presence of a good heart beat is a great sign, and if there was a problem with the number i'm sure he would have said. When is your next scan? 8 weeks is a tad too early for an accurate due date, i bet baby measures bigger the next time.
Hope you are OK. 1st tri is such a worrying time, try not to stress (easier said than done, i know) :hugs:

Try not to worry. I measured a few days behind at a private 8 week scan. By my 12 week nhs scan I measured a couple if days in front of what I thought. Sonographer said anything before 11 weeks can be difficult to accurately measure. By my 20 week scan some of babies measurements were a week ahead of due date, but since the 12 week is most accurate for dating due date wasn't changed xx

As you don't know your ovulation date, that really is absolutely fine. It's not an exact science. Plus sperm lives for 7 days, so you could have had sex the week before you ovulated and still gotten pregnant. With my first (and I knew my exact ovulation date), I measured 4 days ahead. She had implanted early I think as I had pregnancy symptoms and an early positive test from very early on. Small variations in development like implantation can make several days difference, even if you know what days you had sex on. Also, they are very small at that stage and if it's an OB doing it (not a sonographer), it will be a vague estimate at best as they aren't as skilled as a proper sonographer who does scans all day every day. But 4-5 days difference, early or later, is absolutely fine, especially as baby has grown proportionately in that time and there is a heartbeat. Seeing no heartbeat and over a week's difference in dating would be a cause for concern.

I agree with MindUtopia-there are any number of reasons for the difference between baby's size and your dates. When baby implanted, when you ovulated, the age of the ultrasound machine, the skill of the person doing the scan, etc.

Also keep in mind that some babies just are small. With DS1 and DD1, I measured 5-7 days behind my dates and stayed that way the whole pregnancy. They are totally normal, healthy kids now but are on the shorter side for their age. Not surprising being as I'm one of the shorter ones in my family and DH is only 5'7" tall himself. We're both short people so it's not a surprise that our kids are too.

At my early scans my babies always measured small. I think because I was so sick from morning sickness that they weren't getting much nutrition. When the second trimester came around, the weight really started packing on, and by the third trimester they were measuring in the 90+ percentile. I wouldn't stress too much about it. Babies come in a lot of different sizes. As long as that little heart is flickering, that's all that matters xx

Measurements at scans are never really that accurate, try not to worry <3

Thank you for sharing your experience, it does help! My next scan is in 3 weeks, just a few days shy of 12 weeks. Hoping the little bean catches up or at least doesn't fall further behind.

That's a good point. Most of my family are all small, except my father who is 6ft4. I'm 5'6 and was super thin until I had my son (lol) so maybe this will be my small girl!

My son measured ahead and has always been big like his dad who is 6ft.

It could just be a smaller little person this time around.

I've been through this a couple of times, and they're all healthy kids now. :) I hope your little embryo is doing okay, too.

I thought I'd add this in case it brings any comfort to anyone asking the same questions:

I had my first tri ultrasound and at 13w5d he was measuring 13w6d, so it seems the other measurements were off or he just caught up :)

It's so hard not to worry :blush:

That's good to hear. Mine was about 5 days off at early scan. I have my 12 week one Monday so fingers crossed

That's good to hear. Mine was about 5 days off at early scan. I have my 12 week one Monday so fingers crossed

If I went by when by my last cycle he would be behind 2 weeks, but we just can't always be sure when fertilization really happened, it's just hard to say! It was a great comfort for me to read these ladies talk about having the same thing and having healthy babies, some were just smaller throughout, others caught up, but overall everyone had good outcomes :) All the best to you!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"