8wks - sleeping shorter and shorter times each night

colsy

Mummy to 2 li'l pudd'ns
Reaction score
We have gone from night sleeps of 5hrs followed by 3hrs to three sleeps of about 2 and a half hours each. Obviously this feels a bit like a backwards step to us parents! I am surprised this has happened, as I thought babies tended to sleep for longer periods as they got older. I don't think it's a growth spurt, as Monty's feeding pretty much as per usual during the day. The only real difference from before is that he isn't cluster feeding just before bed now like he used to do. Any ideas on why the long sleep has got shorter? More importantly, any great ideas on how to improve the sleeping time. We are breastfeeding exclusively, although we're happy to give a bottle of expressed breast milk at certain times of day if that could help. Thanks girls xx

Maybe it's time to up his feeding amount. Ava started doing the same thing and once I brought her up an ounce she is sleeping A LOT more during the day and night. And if that isn't the case then try feeding a bit of cereal before bed. It helps a baby sleep heavier because it fills them up nicely. ;)

Dont give cereal! Hes too young for any kind of solids and certainly isnt an "easy fix" to get him to sleep longer!

How many weeks is he? I wouldnt rule out a growth spurt as it can make them feed more often during the night again.

You said he's stopped cluster feeding in the evenings, so he's maybe not taking on enough in the evening to get him through the night? Is there any way you can encourage him to feed a bit more in the evening? Sorry, I only BF for about a week, and I know my LO just wouldn't feed if she wasn't hungry, so not sure if that's a possibility or not.

As for the cereal, I'm with AG on this one. He's way too young for anything like that :hugs:

If it helps, my LO had a few unsettled nights about 8 weeks, when she went from sleeping 12-7 to waking up at 5.30am. She seems to have pretty much got past that though, without us changing anything. He might settle down himself.

I hope it gets better, one way or another :hugs:

!!!! Yeah no solids at all till at least 17 weeks old. Really bad for their tummys, digestive system is no where near developed. My LO was unsettled sleep wise till she got to about 3 months. If u confident having enough feeds in day, warm, dry etc just bear with it hun, u spoke to HV for advice? U considered formula feed before bed? i did this when breastfeeding as breast milk isnt as filling resulting in them waking earlier. Gud luk xx

Sorry no help. :( My DD still cluster feeds every hour from 5-8 until she hits the sack. I am also exclusively breastfeeding.

Have you tried keeping him up a little longer? I don't use this method myself, but others have mentioned it...

I know plenty of people who have started their babies on cereal at 1 month because the baby kept waking to eat through out the night. It was under the impression it wasn't harmful as long as you make sure you don't make it thick. But after googling it you ladies are right.

I also found this: "Please keep in mind that a growth spurt will occur between 3-4 months of age. Your baby may begin to wake more frequently at night for a feeding and/or may begin to eat non-stop (cluster feed) as she once did as a newborn. This growth spurt often accounts for the increased hunger in your baby and it should not be taken as a sign that your baby needs solid foods added to her diet. Try offering your baby more frequent nursing sessions and/or bottle feedings instead of solids; you will find that within a week or two, your baby is oftentimes over the growth spurt and back to feeding "as usual".

My apologies for recommending something I knew nothing about. Thanks for correcting me girls! :hugs:

Jack will be 8 weeks on friday and I am exclusively breastfeeding. I find that if we give him a bottle of expressed milk (so daddy can feed him) for his last feed before we go to bed (so around 9.30/10.00) he will take about 5- 6 oz - which I am sure is more he will drink from the breast as he tends to fall asleep quicker - and its less work from the bottle. If we do this he will normally last till around 3-4 am without another feed. Although he does normally wake up once or twice for his dummy to be put back in.

If we don' do this he normally wake up for a feed about 1-2 am so I sure it makes a difference. Maybe you could give that a go.

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->