9 month old OBSESSED by peoples jewellery

Discussion in 'Toddler & Pre-School' started by carebearstare, Oct 5, 2010.

1. carebearstare

carebearstare 1st pregnancy

My 9 & 1/2 month old daughter is obsessed with peoples jewellery. At first I thought it was sweet, now it is almost turning into a problem. When we go to music groups she can spot someone wearing a necklace, crawl through the middle of the circle and up to the person, climb up them and start grabbing their necklace. I let her have a look, but if I prise her off incase she breaks it, she just wants to go straight back and creates a fuss if she can't. It is obviously annoying to the lady wearing the necklace, and it really disrupts the group. It happened today at a baby group where mums just sit round and the babies play, in fact it happens everytime. I can't distract her with anything else, she becomes obsessed.

I dont know how to manage it. Anyone have any ideas? Does anyone think the obsessiveness is something to worry about.

Xx

2. sparkle_1979

sparkle_1979 Mum to Ruby born Oct 2009

my lo is the same, though she prob would not crawl up a complete stranger, if anyone picks her up though she goes straight for a watch, necklace or earrings....I wouldn't worry x

3. Neferet

Neferet Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about it. Ike went through a phase of pulling at everyone's jewellery. I think most babies do it lol!

4. lylasmummy

lylasmummy Well-Known Member

As the others have said, I think most babies do it at some point, Lyla used to do exact same thing, she still does it a bit now, I wouldnt worry hun x

5. Cariad_bach

Cariad_bach mum to 2 boys and 2 girls

:hugs: give it time, she'll soon find somthing else to obsess with xxx

6. nikkip75

nikkip75 Well-Known Member

she will be like my friends little girl, shes 2 and can not be seen with out her pretties!! shes always got a pretty set of beads and sparkly bracelets on! its very cute lol

i remember when my 4 year old was little and she used to love peoples jewelry but she wouldnt go up to them like your LO, she would just admire from a distance. But on a bus one day this old lady was wearing a big gaudy brooch and Daisy pointed at it and said very loudly, Arrrrr pirate treasure ( in pirate accent!) i was so embarresed!

7. Shri

Shri Well-Known Member

8. MotherBeth

MotherBeth Well-Known Member

9. cleckner04

cleckner04 Well-Known Member

I'd just laugh it off at the playgroup and make a joke about how the women need to watch their jewelry with your daughter around. Maybe it will give them a hint so if they don't like it, they can just not wear it to playdates. :flower:

I'm sure it's a phase she'll grow out of eventually. My daughter loves jewelry too. So I bought a few plastic necklaces and bracelets for her and have been starting a dress up box and she loves putting them on and walking around with them clinking together really loudly. :haha: Gotta love girls!