9 month old tantrums!

babypowder

Reaction score
Eek! My 9 month (almost) old boy has started having tantrums when I remove something from him that he might be playing with, try to change his nappy or generally get him to do something he doesn't want to do.

I didn't think this stage kicked in so soon?! :shrug:

Any ideas? x

No advice but yuup its happening here too!! Shes 9months on 20th but anyone would think she was in the terrible 2's!!!
She does the whole throw herself on the floor & scream & kick kinda tantrums!! x

Its been happening for a while with my DD, specially if i take anything off of her she isnt supposed to have etc.
it does get easier theres not really much advise i can offer as my DS was completely different he didnt start having tantrums til after he turned 1.

sometimes to make it easier we exchange what shes not supposed to have with a toy.
with changing her nappy i give her a bottle if she doesnt want it then i offer her one of her books that makes noises and she'll happily lie there and have her bum changed.
but with getting dressed she is a nightmare she wont keep still and she screams and kicks.
hopefully its just a phase...
x
xx

Maria has been like it since 8 months. I dread nappy changes cos it always turns into a battle, same for getting dressed.

Oh good, once again it really does help to know you're not alone! We'll grin an bear it and try some distraction techniques as you suggested for now± x

Mine is exactly the same. I am just trying to meet the tantrums positively and try and encourage her to calm down.

Charlie has been doing this a few weeks now! Its quite cute and made me realise she is becoming her own little person. But i just try to distract! If i pick her up when she doesnt want to be she acts like she is trying to bite me! Only for a split second then she arches her back and screams instead! Hopefully it will pass!

Damn. My son is only 7 months old and has started this. He won't reach other milestones like babbling more or crawling early, no, but tantrums, oh yes, why not hit that milestone early.

I took a piece of bread out of his hand 2 weeks ago that I was worried might choke him and he screamed for half an hour after. I even tried to offer him the same piece or another piece, but nothing worked.

The almost hilarious thing is everyone says he's so good natured. lol!

My lo has major tantrums and now even the distraction technique has stopped working. :( Need advice too!

Nothing distracts Maria anymore, I just hold her while she turns me deaf with her screaming til she stops. Or if its during a nappy change I just carry on changing her, sometimes have to get OH to help.

I dread nappy changes with Louie now and getting dressed is a battle, I have to have a constant flow of different toys around the mat to distract him with. If for some reason he has gotten hold of something he shouldn't have, like the TV remote or my keys or wallet and I take it off him, he screams in major frustration. I don't think it is a tantrum as such because to have a tantrum they have to be aware of what they are doing. It more just that it's their only way of vocalising their frustration that they can't have what they want and don't understand why they can't have it. The only thing you can do is try to distract them with something else! It sure is stressful though xx

Same here & they're getting worse! She had meltdown in singing group last week because another baby had a bottle & she wanted it. She threw herself backwards on the floor - I got some dirty looks from other mums - but what can you do? I had to say no!!

Distraction isn't always working here either. Im thinking it's maybe related to starting to understand language, but not being able to tell me what she wants to do- so everythings a protest :shrug:

Nice to know it's not just lo though - unless we're all raising little so n so's (unlikely!!) it must die down again.... surely???!

Nice to know it's not just lo though - unless we're all raising little so n so's (unlikely!!) it must die down again.... surely???!

I think the odds are it's very normal and will die down again soon :) I agree that its more frustration than tantrum, it sounds and looks like a tantrum but it has coincided with my LO started to make word like sounds so maybe he is trying to tell me things and I just don't understand :shrug:

It's all just a phase.....:thumbup: x

Same here & they're getting worse! She had meltdown in singing group last week because another baby had a bottle & she wanted it. She threw herself backwards on the floor - I got some dirty looks from other mums - but what can you do? I had to say no!!

Distraction isn't always working here either. Im thinking it's maybe related to starting to understand language, but not being able to tell me what she wants to do- so everythings a protest :shrug:

lol it's always extra awful to me when other moms give dirty looks. I mean, they should understand right? I sometimes feel like I have the only baby who have meltdowns at baby groups.

I hope it dies down, but looks like we have a ways to go. I agree it has to do with frustration for them because they realize how helpless they are for what they want. But I feel like maybe I should start reading parenting books because LO is starting to act like a teenager, other than talking back, which I'm sure he would if he knows how. lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->