• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

A Change of Plan (GBS)

Rebaby

Mum to 2 boys
Reaction score
Some of you will know i was admitted last weekend with pain and on examination was found to be bleeding so ended up staying in for a couple of days. Well during the examination i had a high vaginal swab taken to see if i had any infection which might have been causing the pain.

Yesterday i had a phone call from a midwife at the hospital to say that my results were back and all clear...except that i tested positive for group b strep :-(

I know there is a lot in the media and around about group b strep at the minute, including a thread on here. In fact it's funny, in a way, as while i was in the hospital OH bought me a pregnancy magazine and one of the articles was a FAQ about group b strep trying to raise awareness, so we had actually talked about it just a few days ago, and now it turns out i have it. I don't want this to turn into a big debate about group b strep and the potential vs actual risk to baby, as there is a lot of information out there and i think it is up to every woman to make up her own mind re: getting tested and what to do if the result is positive etc.

For us, as a couple we've decided to go with the advice from the hospital and i'll be having the IV antibiotics during labour. Even though for us this means an end to our homebirth plans, which is something we're still coming to terms with really, as we were both very excited about it as a concept. But ultimately i suppose we're relieved the swab didn't pick up anything else, and that we now know and are prepared.

We have a lot of thinking to do now though as all our plans were centred around the idea of a home birth so it's back to the drawing board! :wacko: My head is just spinning and that's only from reading the thread on what to pack in your hospital bag!

Just wanted to add that if anyone missed the thread on group b strep then you can find more info here:

https://www.gbss.org.uk/

Its nice to see that your out, healthy and seem to be handling the situation really well. I wish you the best of luck.

It must be hard to come to terms with not having the labour and birth that you planned at home. I am planning a home birth, but we have to be practical when these things crop-up. I'm really proud that you have been brave and made the right decision for you... and I hope that faced with the same situation, I would also be able to make the right choices.
I'm sure that dispite the change of plan, you seem like the type to get close to what you intended, even though you will have to be admitted.
All the best
xxxx

Thankyou both :hugs: I now have a list of what to pack in my hospital bag (something i hadn't previously considered) and OH has suggested i treat myself to a posh new bag for the hospital as we'll no longer be paying for a birthing pool to use at home so i am trying to focus on the positives!

aw I'm sorry to hear that hun but like the others say it's what's best for you an your baby now. I think it's crazy that these tests aren't offered routinely to all pregnant women.

:hugs: hon, I'm sure that your determination will still mean you have a wonderful birth the (new) way you want, and glad that its been picked up now :hugs:

sorry about the end to you home birth plans - i really am. :hugs:

Good luck with the hospital birth, i'm sure you'll make the most of the experience, you sound very level headed about the whole thing!!

Best of luck!!!

i have GBS. not fussed, i actually expected to have it as i am prone to infections. i will just do the antibiotics, and i at least will have an idea of how long i will be in the hospital! i can stick around and take all of the help i can get! cause it doesnt last forever.....:thumbup:

Im glad you found out ahead of time.My son was born and contracted gbs,he was in intensive care for 31 days and almost died. As long as you get a healthy baby nothing else matters in the end:)

Thanks for all the support ladies :hugs: Above all else i do feel relieved that it was picked up from the swab, and even though it has meant big changes to our plans we are adapting them, and still incredibly excited about meeting our LO no matter where he/she is making an appearance.

I have looked after babies who have picked up the GBS infection at work so even though i know the chances of it happening are slim, i am also aware of the sometimes terrifying consequences when it does happen, so we feel like we've made the best decision for us and our baby :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"