Some of you will know i was admitted last weekend with pain and on examination was found to be bleeding so ended up staying in for a couple of days. Well during the examination i had a high vaginal swab taken to see if i had any infection which might have been causing the pain. Yesterday i had a phone call from a midwife at the hospital to say that my results were back and all clear...except that i tested positive for group b strep I know there is a lot in the media and around about group b strep at the minute, including a thread on here. In fact it's funny, in a way, as while i was in the hospital OH bought me a pregnancy magazine and one of the articles was a FAQ about group b strep trying to raise awareness, so we had actually talked about it just a few days ago, and now it turns out i have it. I don't want this to turn into a big debate about group b strep and the potential vs actual risk to baby, as there is a lot of information out there and i think it is up to every woman to make up her own mind re: getting tested and what to do if the result is positive etc. For us, as a couple we've decided to go with the advice from the hospital and i'll be having the IV antibiotics during labour. Even though for us this means an end to our homebirth plans, which is something we're still coming to terms with really, as we were both very excited about it as a concept. But ultimately i suppose we're relieved the swab didn't pick up anything else, and that we now know and are prepared. We have a lot of thinking to do now though as all our plans were centred around the idea of a home birth so it's back to the drawing board! My head is just spinning and that's only from reading the thread on what to pack in your hospital bag!