A couple of questions..water birth and fomula

GeorgeyGal

Reaction score
Firstly, I plan to breastfeed but if by any reason I cant shall I plan ahead and bring some formula and some sterlised bottles and a bottle warmer to the hospital with me or does the hospital provide this?

Second question is, I was wondering why sometimes when the lady is crowning in the pool is she told to get out and push on the bed? Is this because she is taking too long to push bubs out and they need to monitor the bubs hb?

Thanks in advance! x

my midwife said there is no reason to get out of the pool unless they think the baby is in distress or if they need to see the position more clearly...
I look forward to seeing the answers re the bottle question cos I am curious too!

my midwife said there is no reason to get out of the pool unless they think the baby is in distress or if they need to see the position more clearly...
I look forward to seeing the answers re the bottle question cos I am curious too!

Ah I see, I was watching one born every min on monday and wondered why they made her get out.

Theres never any mention of packing some bottles and formula, sterliser or warmer in hospital bag so thats why im confused as thought this would be very important to have..as i just hear that not all hospitals supply formula, but would they sterlise a bottle and warm it?

No idea about the water birth question but I'd check with your midwife re formula as hospitals all seem to have their own policies on what they will and won't provide. You could take sterilised bottles and ready made formula if they don't provide it for you and heat it up in a jug of hot water rather than taking a warmer.

From what I have read and heard if you are planning on BF and for some reason you can't then they will supply the milk/equiptment but if you plan to FF you need to take supplies with you.

Its dependent on the hospital though so you'll need to double check with your midwife x

I was told at my antenatal classes that they will supply what they need at our hospital - probably will vary though.

I just dont know whether to buy some formula just incase as I am hoping for a home birth

From what I have read and heard if you are planning on BF and for some reason you can't then they will supply the milk/equiptment but if you plan to FF you need to take supplies with you.

Its dependent on the hospital though so you'll need to double check with your midwife x

Yep this is correct no hospital is going to let a baby go hungry if for some reason you can't feed so they will provide.

However if it's people's choice to ff from the beginning then they are expected to provide their own, which is fair enough.

You have enough things to pack without having to worry about all the feeding paraphenalia too!

everytime I have given birth at 3 different hospitals in 3 different areas the hospital has always provided milk in tiny bottles for new born babies, so if for any reason you cant breastfeed straight away they will give you that oprion though most will help you perservere with breast feeding as yr milk doesnt come in for the first couple of days it colostrom until then which is a translucent liquid but it gives babies exactly what they need xx

The reason the woman on one born had to get out the pool was because the baby wasn't moving and they thought they were going to have to cut her, but as it happened I think her moving got the baby in a better position. The main reason for getting out the pool will be the baby not progressing and they will have to assist to get it out I think.

I wondered about the bottle thing too...

Our hospital provides disposable sterilised bottles and teats (they are wrapped in air tight bags), you just have to take in the small cartons of formula (im taking 2 in case cant BF) and they will make it up for you.

x

Apparently the hospital has to provide the formula, due to health and safety reasons! Its best to ask your hospital, as all hospitals are different :flower:
Just popping over from 2nd Tri to be nosey :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->