A Day in the Life of a Cloth Bum Mum!

Plumfairy

Mum-mum-mum-mum
Reaction score
Ok, so as the title says... I'd like all you fluffy bum mums to tell me EXACTLY how much work all this involves... ie. what your routines are with washing drying etc... do you all use tumble dryers or just good old washing line? Do you find it cheaper? Why do you use real nappies? Environmental reasons or just because they look super cute?

I'd always intended using cloth nappies when I was pregnant, but as we lived in a flat with no garden when Layla was born, it seemed like a nightmare and I envisioned wet nappies constantly hanging off radiators and got put off slightly.

Now we're in a nice house and things are a bit less cramped Im thinking about it again... Totally clueless though!! :shrug: I havent a clue about the different types, but if I were to start, I think I'd like something that will grow with her. Anyway, if anybodys managed to read this far I'd be interested to hear from you :D Im definately up for being a part-time cloth bum mum for now! Im certainly not going to rush out and buy hundreds of them just yet, but think I'd like to give it a little go. :thumbup:

Hmmmm well mine is kinda easy, i use them during the day and sposies at night (at the mo)
When she has a wet one i just shove them in the bin, if its poo then rince them in the shower and put them in the bin. I think she goes through about 5 in a day :shrug:
At about 5 or 6 i put them in the washing machine on a 60 wash and them i put them on the AGA and they are dry by morning.

:lol: I dont know if thats what you wanted?? I only have about 10 or so incase i dont wash them one day (sometimes i forget)

I only have 10 at the min and I use them full time so I wash and tumble dry them every day which is really bad! When I get some more Im going to hang them up to dry.

She wears a bum genius overnight with two inserts. I have pockets and snap all in ones. When I change a nappy I put it into a nappy pail which is lined with a mesh bag. I seperate the parts of the nappy before putting it in. I also wash washable wipes so they go in the nappy pail too. I find it easier to use washable wipes with cloth otherwise your bogged down with wipes and nappy bags. I have also found that since switching to washable wipes her bum isnt red at all. I currently use them with just water but I have just ordered some wipe solution that I will put in a tub with some water and the wipes. If theres a pooey nappy I rinse most of the poo off or I wipe it off with some toilet roll. I dont like to use flushable liners as they are really papery.

When she goes to bed I just take the mesh bag out of the nappy pail and shove the hole thing in the washing machine. Then in the morning I take it out and spend about 10 mins putting the nappies together ready for the day.

When we are out and about I did have a wet bag to put nappies in but it wasnt a proper one and it melted when I put it in the wash! :rofl: So I have just ordered a new wet bag. I also have a wipe solution to spray the washable wipes when out. Its really easy to use.

Once you get the hang of it its really easy and doesnt take much effort at all.

Yea i'd agree, when you're in the rountine of it you dont even think about it anymore.

Yay Maya - you're thinking of joining us! :thumbup:

I only have 8 so far :blush: but I'm not finding it hard work. Obviously with only 8 nappies, I'm not using them full time. I try and use them in the day and disposables at night but it doesn't always work, depending on washing etc.

For an all round good nappy I would recommend the 'Bum Genius V3' for the reason you just said you'd like the nappy to grow with Layla. It is a pocket nappy and comes with two inserts (small newborn one and a larger one...I use both at the same time). They dry really fast (air dry) and are super absorbant. They come in something like 8 colours and you can buy them from Mothercare (sometimes!). I would order online though! The Bum Genius V3 is a 'Birth to Potty' nappy so will grow with Layla!

There are LOADS of different types of nappy but for a start I would highly recommend them as they're BTP (not sized), dry really fast and are really absorbant. I'm going to use BG's for night time when I run out of Pampers!!

If you want more help you know where I am, although I'm still really new to this too!

HTH's Sweetie!!! :D

x

Thanks girls. We have neither a tumble dryer or an AGA, so my only concern is the drying!! Are there certain ones that dry better than others? Also, what would you say would be a good one to get for a first timer like myself as a little tester nappy? Layla also has very mushy poos, so how would I work around those... Do I have to scoop the poo off? Also, do you soak them in a certain liquid or anything? Questions questions....!! I guess my best bet is just to buy one and see how we go...!

I would go for Bum Genius to start with they dry very quickly. I would avoid Itti Bittis if you want a quick dry they take ages!

You dont need to soak them in anything. Meadows poos are like slop but I just scrap it off with loo roll or rinse it! :sick:

As I just said hun, definately try the Bum Genius as a starting point for the reasons I already said!

https://www.babipur.co.uk/shop/p1756/Bum_Genius_V3_Test_Kit/product_info.html

If you're online...I'll chat to you on MSN? :D

OOoh yay Laurie you seem to be getting the hang of it! :D Im a little confuzzled still...!! Eeek!! Im thinking I need to just go for it and buy some now as Ive been pondering it for weeks now!! Hey... Its nearly the 13th.... And our babas will be 6 months old!!!!! Can you believe??!!! Right... Im off to look at bumgenius!! I like the name! :D

Ooh has anybody got a Big Softie? Ive just seen them and they look nice and alot cheaper than some of the others.

x

yyyyyyyyeeeeeeeee maya come join us.
I use my fluffies 24/7 now and all i do is chuck them in a bucket of water with nappysan to soak then first wash in the washer of the day i chuck the nappies in a 60 degree wash and chuck them either out on the line if it is nice or in the dryer for 30 mins then on my clothes airer in my bedroom, i first used tots bots and mothercare nappies and now have a massive collection lol and more on order hehe. xx

I haven't heard of Big Softie...off for a look now!

x

So just stick all the dirty ones in a bucket until they get washed yes? Also, do you just use ordinary washing powder same as you wash babas clothes with?

https://www.twinkleontheweb.co.uk/acatalog/Big_Softie.html

Theres the link

x

So just stick all the dirty ones in a bucket until they get washed yes? Also, do you just use ordinary washing powder same as you wash babas clothes with?

yeah I wash at 60 to get the poo stains out. I use non-bio the same as her clothes, and you only need a 1/3 of the normal amount of liquid and no softener as it affect absorbancy.

HEEYYY Donna yes Im thinking of joining! :D Its something I was totally set on doing at the beginning of pregnancy but then it just got left, so now 6 months into motherhood i think Im ready to give it a go! :D

yeah I wash at 60 to get the poo stains out. I use non-bio the same as her clothes, and you only need a 1/3 of the normal amount of liquid and no softener as it affect absorbancy.

OOh fab! Nice and simple then! This whole thing seems slightly less daunting as I initially imagined...! yaay! :happydance:

I wash at 40 degrees using Bambinex nappy washing stuff (can't remember the name?) as I bought it on offer in Boots a few weeks back but when that runs out I'll use the usual non-bio.

I don't wash the nappies with other clothes, just nappies. And don't use fabric softner!

x

Yaay it is a fab thread! I think they should make a sticky called all you need to know about cloth nappies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->