a few questions about profesional pictures.

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by Gemie, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Gemie

Gemie Mum to 3

My oh is setting up his own photography business and we would very much appreciate your imput :)
    Firstly what would you expect to pay for a 1-2 hour sesion?

what would you expect to pay for indevidual prints and a cd containing the images?

Would you prefer? prints to buy or just a cd with the pics on for uou to print yourself?

How many good quality images would you expect to get for your money?

What about location? Would You prefer to go to a studio or have photographer come to you?

Thanks in advance for your time x

2. ttcmikeandme

ttcmikeandme Paul Henry is Here!

I don't have a huge experience but for my newborn pictures I paid $200 and that was about a 1.5 hour session and a CD of 65 pictures with copyrights. There were also different scenes, and we met at a mutual location. This was from a professional photographer with 2 masters in visual art.

3. lilliesmummie

lilliesmummie Well-Known Member

I'd love a bargain lol, so £40 for the shoot & £10-15 for the CD, I would rather have the CD than individual prints. & I'd expect all of them to be high quality , suppose a few ok ones would be fine.. Isit possible for rubbish photos of LO? Lol and I think the choice of home or away would be brill! :D xxx

Also, this isn't aimed at your husband .. But I think a child photographer should have a CRB check ready to show you before bring allowed to take photos of children, or maybe I'm just over cautious?

4. missZOEEx

missZOEEx Isaac'sMummy<3

I didn't pay anything for my professional photo's as the photographer was offering free newborn and children shoots because she was trying to extend her portfolio, but we got a disk of the photo's which I thought was a good idea and it probably worked out cheaper for her too! We also had the choice of going to her studio or choosing another location - our home or a park or wherever. It was really great. :)

5. Jaylynne

Jaylynne Well-Known Member

Honestly, it depends on the portfolio of the photographer. If the photographer is really good, I'd pay about $150 for a sitting fee that allows for prop changes and clothing changes and a CD with rights to print my own pictures unless his print prices were decent. What sort of photography is your husband doing? Newborn? Modeling? Family portraits? Each genre can have different pricing. Family portraits are rather quick unless going to the park etc. Newborn photography can be tricky as theres pee risks and baby can be uncooperative and you need to keep the studio super warm if taking the adorable naked pics (I'm sure you know this).
    For baby, I'd prefer studio unless it was a warm day. It's just easier in a controlled environment to keep baby safe and sleeping. Otherwise I'd love a photographer to be flexible.
    If hubby is just starting out, he should have more reasonable prices (or just covering costs) until he has a good referral base and portfolio. He will need a website too. Probably in the range of $50-$75/sitting fee.
    He will make more money if he prints his own pictures, just don't price prints too high.
    I would expect high resolution so I could blow up my favorite pics and at least 5-10 really good shots.

6. Ashley8806

Ashley8806 Well-Known Member

we just had our daughters newborn pics done - she was here for about an hour, we got a cd of 110 edited pictures for $40. Thats with as many outfit changes we wanted also - we did 5 different things

7. Princess pea

Princess pea Mum of 2 beautiful girls

We found a fab photographer near us who came to our house for a newborn shoot. She had recently started up too, and was a mum herself, so understood how difficult it was to be on a budget and not being able to afford the photos you wanted ( she didn't want us to have to choose), so she gave us the whole disc of edited photos included in her £100 fee.

She understood that you can't just expect a baby to turn it on when you want, so spent 2 hrs with us, taking shots inside and outside ( we live in a park).

With regards to location, I would leAve it up to the individuals., personally I didn't want to trek anywhere with my newborn.

Our photos were amazing and creative, her website is www.purplebeephotography.co.uk

8. Gemie

Gemie Mum to 3

Thank you so much for the input girls, much appreciated :flower:

9. Gemie

Gemie Mum to 3

Bumping for more inputs! :flower: