a good microscope to look at sperm?

youngmommy26

Mom of 1 TTC#2
Reaction score
was wondering if anyone has tried looking at sperm under a microscope? What Microscope did you use? Do you have to buy that Micra one? How strong does the microscope need to be to clearly see them? I heard 400x also heard 650x or 1,000x Was just curious!

I perform semen analysis at my job. We use 40X for our motility estimates and sperm counts. We use 50X or 100X for our sperm morphologies. I read a little about the Micra kits. I read that they can give you estimates on count, motility and morphology....but it can't give you more detailed information that might be important. For example, he can have a good sperm count, normal morphology and good motility but low survival rate (testing for motility 2 hours after ejaculating). Or, the pH of the sperm could be too acidic. Also, the ranges of the kit are a little off....it says that a normal sperm mortility should be at least 50% with 25% rapid progression...at our lab we only focus on the rapid progression one directional sperm as these are the ones that will make it through the cervix and up to the uterus; we consider a normal sperm motility range to be 40-100%...and it lists a normal sperm count as at least 20 mil... our lab range is 10-150 mil.

I'm not trying to discourage you from buying the kit. I just don't want you to get upset/panick if your results are slightly off...I guess if you suspect that DH sperm has some issues, it could be a starting point....and they are really neat to look at!

I perform semen analysis at my job. We use 40X for our motility estimates and sperm counts. We use 50X or 100X for our sperm morphologies. I read a little about the Micra kits. I read that they can give you estimates on count, motility and morphology....but it can't give you more detailed information that might be important. For example, he can have a good sperm count, normal morphology and good motility but low survival rate (testing for motility 2 hours after ejaculating). Or, the pH of the sperm could be too acidic. Also, the ranges of the kit are a little off....it says that a normal sperm mortility should be at least 50% with 25% rapid progression...at our lab we only focus on the rapid progression one directional sperm as these are the ones that will make it through the cervix and up to the uterus; we consider a normal sperm motility range to be 40-100%...and it lists a normal sperm count as at least 20 mil... our lab range is 10-150 mil.

I'm not trying to discourage you from buying the kit. I just don't want you to get upset/panick if your results are slightly off...I guess if you suspect that DH sperm has some issues, it could be a starting point....and they are really neat to look at!

well I found a pretty cheap microscope on Amazon, for about 40 bucks I have the choice to use40x 300x 600x or 1200x figured that would be good then I can see up close

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->