A lb a week for 7 wks starting today :-)

The ab routine is a separate DVD from the annoying Jillian. Its quite hard and I can't do it all yet. I'm doing it with DH who is quite fit and struggles at times so that makes me feel better!

Irish eyes wow a marathon :thumbup: I'm trying to do more running but finding my aerobic fitness is rubbish and keep getting shin splints..have you done one before?? and why paris

Hi Dylis, this is my first marathon but I have been running for two years and have done a few races like 5ks, 10k, 8 milers and even did two legs of the Belfast marathon which was about 9.5 miles. I run for a club so there is about 20 of us all going and I just thought if I am going to do my first marathon then why not in Paris? :haha: I haven't been to Paris so thought this would be my opportunity. :haha:

Your shin splints could be to do with the trainers you are wearing. When I started running I was wearing normal trainers and suffered badly with shin splints then went to get my gait monitoring and got proper running shoes. The only time I get shin splints now is when I need to replace my runners.

Hey Irish Eyes,
I typed a reply about your diet the other day (a reply to your reply) but its not shown up!
In a nutshell, I said...
I don't think 1200 calories is enough for anyone, nevermind a runner! It really bugs me that MFP uses it as a calorie goal, because its lower than a lot of peoplr's basal metabolic rate.
In hindsight, I really don't think its a good idea to try and lose weight while training for a marathon. Your nutrition is so important for fueling your training and aiding your recovery. I really don't think you should restrict your intake (especially carbs).
Maybe you could ask your coach for advice?
I got a really good book marathon nutrition (however, I ignored most of what it said!!) I'll find out what its called for you.
How's your training so far? What kind of distance are you up to?
I hope I don't come across as preachy or a know it all; Id just hate for you to make the mistakes that I Did.
xx

Woo hoo!! 4lbs down which is where I was almost a month ago, time to start again x

@ILoveShoes, of course I don't find your preachy. I think it is really good to hear from other peoples experiences. I also thought MFP calories were really low although some days I could eat them plus whatever I gain through my runs and feel full all day. I have to say I haven't been religiously filling in MFP and ignored it yesterday as I was being bad. :haha:

That would be great if you could give me the name of that book as I was going to start looking into a book for runners diet. This may just save me the hassle.

As I am following Hal Higdons Novice 2 programme I am up to 12 miles and this week my long run is only 9 miles. I go up to 14 miles next week though.

Any other marathon advice would be great too. I find that I am losing energy around 8-9 mile mark so I know I need to refuel then. I read on the High5 site (the energy gel people) that they recommend that you should take 2 gels 10-15 mins before starting the marathon. I was going to test this out this weekend to see if it keeps my energy levels high for longer. I am not even thinking of taking the ones with caffeine. Although the day I did 12 miles, I had a bowl of porridge an hour before I started. During the run I had water and a sports drink and took one High5 gel around the 7-8 mile mark. Made no difference and I struggled from start to finish. I am really hoping I was just having a bad day as the week before I did my 11 miles in the lashing rain, running through not puddles but rivers (that's what they were like on the footpaths), soaked to the skin and all I had was a few jelly babies throughout the run. I did start to tire out around the 8-9 mile mark again but I was able to carry on to the end and it was somewhat enjoyable. The 12 mile run was awful and it has sort of frightened me a bit.

Sorry, that was such a long post.

Im at work at the min - but I'll do you a proper reply tonight! :)
Just wanted you to know I'd seen your post xx

Hey everyone :hugs:
Im so pleased to see this thread is still going strong. I was about to get back into MFP in the new year when I found out I was preg!!! Still very very early days! Trying to eat healthily but not cal counting - just trying to get a balanced diet.
Good luck ladies xxxxxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->