A little advice please about weaning

laurapinkloz

Pregnant
Reaction score
Hi All

Just wondered if any of you could help.

My little boy is almost 10months. I started weaning him at 4 months and things went really well to start with an he had a good appitite. But lately he hasn't want to eat much and has been really fussy, he will always eat a pudding or yogurt though!

He is struggling with finger food and has never really taken to it or want to have finger food. He mushes it all up and throughs it on the floor. He will atempt organix sticks or quavers but I don't really want him to get stuck on those. He won't touch anything like sticks of cucumber or par boiled carrot. what am I doing wrong?!

I saw the health visitor who said I should be making him have lumps and finger food but if I give him sandwiches or sticks of fruit of veg he throws it on the floor or chokes it he does atempt it. I compared the consitancy of my homemade meals with jar ones for his age and they seem to be the right consitancy but he is really lagging on the finger food.

He has no teeth at all. What advise do any of you lovely lot have?

Thanks in advance?

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. To me, it just seems like he is having difficulties learning to use finger food, which is why he's mushing it up. He's throwing it because he's frustrated. Have you tried to help him pick up the finger food and put it in his mouth? Picking up small objects and putting them in their mouth is a tough thing to master.

That's the only advice I can give because my LO isn't at the age for finger foods yet.

Thank you :)

I do help him with the finger food and quite often he will eat it I feed it to him but wont feed himself. He does take stuff and sometimes put it in his mouth and suck on it but his face when doing this makes me think he isn't keen. He had toast this morning and threw most of it on the floor .

How long do you think I should give him to get the hang of it before I should start to worry?

Hi

My LO is 8 months but we have/had some of the same issues. He went through a period where he went off his first course at lunch but would always have room for a yoghurt or pudding! Might sound harsh, but we just stopped offering it at lunchtime ( he always has a dessert at teatime) unless he finished or nearly finished all his first course, of course not letting him go hungry though. Within 2 days he started eating all his main course again!

Re finger foods, he is also a bit cautious - he's good at the organix stuff, but gets frustrated at other things which are a bit more tricky - even when he eats lumpier stuff in his normal meals. We've had some success recently with mango slices, which I think appeal to his sweet tooth - perhaps that might be worth a go? I've read that you can roll fruit slices in wheatgerm to make them easier to pick up, but not tried it yet. We offer him veg but he licks it, looks disgusted and throws it on the floor.

I think as long as you keep offering and letting them have a go, they'll get interested/get the hang of it eventually. Perhaps sit him with you/other people more around his mealtime so he sees other people using their fingers etc, might inspire him to copy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->