A little advice?

Tasha

4kids+2angels+16mc
Reaction score
I was just wondering how long you would like to know a parent/child before you allow your child to go to their house without you (playdate I guess).

My oldest is 5, and started a new school one week ago. There is a little boy who has really helped him to feel settled, and they are becoming good friends. His Mum has suggested that we swap numbers so in the holidays we can meet or my little boy go play there. I dont mind the idea of us going out some where together, them coming to us or us going to them, but am apprehensive about him going unattended to someone else's home. I think it is cos like I said he started last week, so I dont know them well.

Hmmm i cant remember how old my eldest was. My son is 5 and hasnt gone to others houses.
Perhaps it would be good to meet up a few times first , that way you can get to know them better.
Sorry its not much, hope others have some better advice x

i would meet up a few times first tbh, that way you will know if you feel comfortable enough to go ahead and let him go alone

Leah is only alowed into the houses of 2 friends whos parents i know really well - Jack is not allowed as i dont know his friedns parents

I would do the same-go somewhere together but wouldn't let him go to their house just yet, a week is just a little too early to know a family well enough to feel secure about how they would treat your child and what the family members are like.
My son is 4 and he goes to 2 of his friends houses whom i have known (children and parents) since he started at nursery Sept 08, and they come to our house alone for a couple of hours.
Make sure you know what the whole family are like or maybe ask her is she wants to pop round to yours for a brew whilst the kiddies play :)

I would meet up with the mum during school hours and get to know her first, that way you'll know who you are leaving child with. My boys are nearly 6 and we know everyone in their class including the parents but that's because i like to know who my kids might be spending with.

As you said hun " in the holidays " so would this not give you enough time to get to know one another?
My Josh is 4 & so far his friend Jayden has been here & then Josh went there for tea , Then this week on wednesday Josh had his " girlfriend " Amy round for tea, & Josh will be going to her house after nursery today providing he is ok from having his swine flu jab in an hour & half.

I got to know Jaydens mum just from bumping into eachother at the nursery , we got talking as our boys were always on about eachother, She is 5 minute walk away from where we live so i felt ok letting him go, We swapped numbers before hand then we could keep in touch.

Where as Amys mum i've sorta known longer, My mum owned a newsagents/off license & i worked there & she was a customer who lived opposite the shop so we kinda knew eachother from there, & we bump into eachother at nursery & always stand around idle chit chatting , Josh & Amy are always going on about eachother & apparently are " going out "lol She's such a cutey too & they'll be at primary together when they start in september

There isn't any other kids or parents i know that i feel comfortable with Josh going to from nursery though, If somebody asked & i wasn't sure i'd politely make up an excuse why he couldn't go.

Sorry i've just read this back & it aint half long winded lol

I did get to know the mothers when taking my children to school and picking them up. Before the school goes out usually some mothers gather to talk and if I had heard my child playing with someone I just talked to the mother a few times. And my tactics were that my child always had to invite the child to our house first! (And still are!!) That way I got to know the child (which already says a lot about the parents) and one of the parents when they picked the child up!

My eldest is 7 and has been to 3 of her friends houses without me before now but ive know those friends and their mums since Nursery so a few years lol,
My sons 6 and has been to 1 friends house but again ive known them ages and they live across the road.
My 4 (nearly 5) year old hasn't been anywhere without me.

Im a clingy mum but i think what if she needs me and im not there ... what if she decides to go shy, hurts her self ... simply needs a drink and doesn't feel confident in a strange house to ask for one.

I love play days but i think there better if you meet up in a local park/ball place or something ..

.... i wouldn't leave a 5/6 year old with anyone other than family or Good friends youve known for a year or more that your LO feels very comfortable and at home with.

But like i said im a clingy mum :roll: :hugs: :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->