A little bit confused, what is your definition of...

Angel_blues

Reaction score
WTT: Everyone seems to be on the same page... Waiting until a certain date to start trying to become pregnant.

NTNP: To me, no charts, no temps, no opk's, just a guess and when you ovulate and dtd when you can/want. Maybe tracking af for peace of mind and so it doesn't catch you by surprise. Basically winging it.

TTC: charting, temping and dtd when you know you're going to ovulate to try to catch it.

Reason I ask is because I've been browsing the TTC section and NTNP section and all the women seem to be overly obsessed... I want a group I can move too just like this one that is laid back and has normal conversations... I'm screwed aren't I?

I had never heard of ntnp until i joined this forum and tbh I think it's daft to have a separation and it doesn't really mean anything. If you are having unprotected sex to concieve a baby it doesn't matter if you opk, temp chart, do smep, pee on 10 sticks before you even miss AF or just go with the flow, have fun, dtd deed as and when and only test if you are actually late you are still trying to concieve. I very much doubt anyone, or a least only a very tiny majority of people on ntnp are thinking hey let's come off contraception and whatever, if i never get pregnant its fine.

Being on these forums has driven me mad thou! I was very relaxed about ttc, yes I want to concieve quickly but even thou I knew women have cycles and ovulate, in school you are always told it's possible to get pregnant at any point in the cycke and made it seem like it's really really easy so i never read into anything the first time I was ttc. One day we said lets try for a baby, worked out finances the same day, stopped taking the pill the next day and found out I was pregnant 6 weeks later so i was clueless to it all. This time we have been planning to start ttc early 2015 for 18 months and the wait was driving me mad, I have been driving OH mad because I just can't stop thinking about having a baby 24/7 no matter how hard I try so i coudlnt stop myself from talking about it and came on these forums to try and help my chill. But then seeing everyone else going absolutely crazy with ttc and learning exactly how long sperm and egg survive for and timing of ovulation and all the rest, it's making me stress about it. I guess what's made it worse is the 18 months WTT has made it feel like I have already been waiting for this to happen for so long i just can't handle a long ttc journey too so I want to try and get pregnant ASAP. I am only tracking cycles and using Calander and signals my body gives to track ovulation. Trying not to mention anything to OH, we have a very active sex life anyway so dtd at the right time isn't an issue so don want to be like, i ovulate in 48 hours so get to bed and make him think i only want to dtd to have a baby.

I define them as
wtt: people who really want kids now, but are waiting until they have gotten to where they want to be to have a child.
ntnp: having sex with no protection, a laid back version of ttc.
ttc: charting, temping, having lots of sex when you know you're ovulating to better chances of conception.

It can be obsessive, i tried a year or two ago NTNP and you do get obsessive because it is a MAJOR life change and it helps prepare for it. When I was trying, even though it was for such a short time, I was obsessed with everything baby, I still am. I go to the baby bit in Asda everytime to look at the baby clothes, I look at all the baby sections including nappies, I am on here constantly, I am always looking into baby names ... I got better once I had the wedding to distract me but I still find time to obsess over all things baby! :haha:

Angel I would agree with your definitions. Perhaps you can start a buddy group to find like minded people?

Ntnp is not knowing anything about when u ovulate and not deliberately dtd when u are probably fertile, I tried Ntnp one cycle n it didn't work because I knew when I was roughly going to be in my fertile period and dtd around then. To me Ntnp is simply not taking the pill but not necessarily wanting a pregnancy which in my opinion rules everyone out on here unless u have just come off the pill and winging it for a month or so

Angel I would agree with your definitions. Perhaps you can start a buddy group to find like minded people?

That would be great, we start trying after my doctors appointment April 21st. I'm using ovuview app but it's set to period tracker. I don't want to be over obsessed and take a million hpt because I want it so bad... It'll come when the time is right and I wish there was a group in that section that was like that...

Ntnp is not knowing anything about when u ovulate and not deliberately dtd when u are probably fertile, I tried Ntnp one cycle n it didn't work because I knew when I was roughly going to be in my fertile period and dtd around then. To me Ntnp is simply not taking the pill but not necessarily wanting a pregnancy which in my opinion rules everyone out on here unless u have just come off the pill and winging it for a month or so

I know I'm ovulating because I get cramps... I don't think that means I can't ntnp... If you don't want a pregnancy then you should be on birth control, so I don't agree with that....

I remember feeling the same way. I ended up starting my own thread/group where I just chatted to other people who were not tracking/temping etc and just letting nature take it's course. I can't remember what it was called but there were quite a few people on there. Maybe you should try the same thing.

Good luck x

That would be great, we start trying after my doctors appointment April 21st. I'm using ovuview app but it's set to period tracker. I don't want to be over obsessed and take a million hpt because I want it so bad... It'll come when the time is right and I wish there was a group in that section that was like that...

I know I'm ovulating because I get cramps... I don't think that means I can't ntnp... If you don't want a pregnancy then you should be on birth control, so I don't agree with that....

But if u no ur ovulating and dtd at that time u can't be ntnp because ur having sex when u no ur fertile. It's a very grey area but I don't think there is any set definition

Angel If you do start it up will you post a link here? I'd love to join

WTT: Waiting, for various reasons, but taking measures to not become pregnant.

NTNP: Not waiting, not trying, not taking measures to avoid pregnancy or to achieve pregnancy. If it happens it happens.

TTC: Taking measures to achieve pregnancy on purpose, from basic "knowing when you ovulate" to special diets, pills, and all the test sticks and CM assessment in between.

The problem is, most people on these boards *know* when they ovulate, and that puts it in lightly TTC if you do something about that (ie initiate sex more often when you are ovulating consciously). It is very difficult to be on a baby/TTC message board and actually NTNP.

Sometimes people spend a lot of time on those boards though, because both partners are not on board to "actively TTC" at the moment. Their SO might have said "if it happens it happens, but we aren't going to try" or something like that. Therefore they feel they would be going against the decision to chart/temp/OPK, that would be "actively trying", but they can get on the NTNP and vent their frustrations and talk about it, where in reality they really want to TTC, if that makes sense.

Other times, they may be doing something, like trying to lose weight - they have a goal in mind and don't want to actively TTC until they reach it, but they aren't in a horribly unhealthy place either so they see no reason not to "let it happen if it will" while they are losing weight, but aren't going to actively pursue it until they do.

This may also seem weirder to people who use hormonal contraception or barrier methods, to them - you are either trying (not contracepting) or avoiding (contracepting). Where I use NFP, it's all a matter of timing. You can pay attention to timing to avoid, pay attention to timing to achieve, "loosely" pay attention to timing, or just ignore it all together....There is a lot more "gray area" between trying and avoiding, where with say the pill or a condom, you either are or you aren't.

Sorry if this is inappropriate to post.

FYI: https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/not-trying-not-preventing/2293755-truly-ntnp.html#post35078021

NTNP to me means just not on birth control, not tracking when you O and trying on those days, etc. It's literally us just doing what we want at any time without protection and not really thinking about it. Very much "if it happens, it happens"

TTC is tracking, trying on days of O'ing, etc. It's us really wanting it to happen.

Waiting is actively avoiding pregnancy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->