• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

A little update on me, re lactating and a pat of the back ha ha *updated*

Just thought I would update a little, as Im quite proud ha ha
re lactating is going amazingly well. She was having to bottles of formula one for lunch and one for her bedtime bottle, the lunch one was just to make sure she was getting enough and the bedtime one was so it didn't mess with her sleeping through.

Anyway she was still being sick and refluxing, lots of it, not just possett, 3-4 times per feed even hours after. I went out last night and left hubby some ebm and her formula. When I got back hubby said he had only given her ebm and she would be hungry. He also went on to say she had not been sick at all. So I decided to try an experiment and instead of her formula (last bottle) to bf knowing full well I would be sacrificing her sleeping through. Well guess who woke up at 7.00am and even better than that, we have been formula free for a day now and we have had no sick. Weird

I wonder what it could be in the formula making her sick?

I also hope that this gives people hope that if your supply is dwindling or low or you want to relactate that it's possible. May also help others with reflux who ff

That is amazing!!! I am really jealous of her sleeping through - but what an amazing effort and achievement!! I give Erin a bottle of formula at night as part of her bedtime, thinking it would help her settle and sleep ... now thinking she probaby doesn't it! She never drinks the whole thing anyway!

You must be really prouid of her and yourself - and so you should! Congrats!

Aw thanks Ceri, I think its down to all the support I have received of everyone, it keeps you going.
I would maybe try it Ceri, obviously be prepared for if she wakes up, but you just never know. Let me know how you get on, if you do try it.

Aw ccongrays hon, that is wonderful wonderful news!!!! You have done so so well.

A little update from me, I pumped 13 oz since last night on top of feeding :happydance:

Wow! When do you pump? I so wish I could do that!!

Still excellent; glad to know its going so well you're an inspiration to other ladies. I planned to relactate with my second youngest who I stopped BF due to allergies, I was thinking once he was on solids and a bit bigger he would have stopped reacting to things through my milk quite so much; but it just never happened especially since he stopped BF altogether (I was hoping to build up on that one night feed he still had) and I was really sad about that.

Still excellent; glad to know its going so well you're an inspiration to other ladies. I planned to relactate with my second youngest who I stopped BF due to allergies, I was thinking once he was on solids and a bit bigger he would have stopped reacting to things through my milk quite so much; but it just never happened especially since he stopped BF altogether (I was hoping to build up on that one night feed he still had) and I was really sad about that.

:hugs:Thank Summer rain, I'm sorry you had a tough time, I'm sure your son, did just fine though:thumbup:
I think we also could be dealing with a cows milk intolerance. She is still sick of any formula and if I bf she is still sick but better, but if I don't eat dairy (even though it seems to be in everything) she isn't sick at all, spoke to hv who said transient lactase deficiency and got dr to prescribed colief, but this doesn't seem to be working, still being sick, so I'm taking her back to the Dr's on Wednesday, to make sure I am on the right track and see what they suggest.

She is also constipated but think this could be down to the gaviscon, but when she goes normally, its a lot and all up her back, she has a lot of wind, only think she doesn't have is any skin conditions.

If anyone has any advice on allergies etc, I would love to hear. I don't want to stop bf but need a back up plan ifykwim.

Just a thought I am taking domperidome and noticed its got lactase in it, could this be why she is being sick a lot again?

With my second youngest he was intolerant to sooooo many things we couldn't figure it out; when he started on solids there were a few things we twigged were a problem; bizarrely this included sweetcorn and carrots which are meant to be very unallergenic foods (caused projectile vomiting and a rash around his mouth). He was pretty ok on comfort formula but in those days nearly four years back now, the ingredients list was really short compared to normal formula; the comfort formula didn't have as many added potential allergens as nowadays either as I heard they added fish and soya as well. If it is just an intolerance to dairy then its quite tricky to avoid but not as impossible (or seemingly so) as when they are intolerant to a whole collection of other stuff as well. With my second eldest who was very allergic to dairy and eggs and also would have reactions to berries, spices, nuts other than peanuts, and wheat, the paediatrician said since he was allergic to so many things; and the only way it affected him through my milk was poor weight gain and eczema that I should just continue BF not try and eliminate anything; and he'd grow out of it as the BF was the best thing for him. He outgrew his eczema completely by 1 year and his allergies by 2 and his weight gain improved massively to being above average for his age; within a couple of months of him having the allergy tests. My youngest now I am very sure he has a cows milk intolerance but his *only* symptoms most of the time are green poo (or sometimes very dark yellow compared to his usual colour) with mucus and blood in it, he has had bad wind from it and occasionally a bumpy rash that vanishes a few hours later but his skin is perfect otherwise. Usually the symptoms start a few hours later but 4 days ago one of my husband's aunts gave me rice made with ghee (which she swore didn't contain any dairy at all, grr I am FURIOUS!) and aside from a couple of green spinachy looking bits in his poo I thought we'd got away with it; but then last night he had one very mucusy poo (like typical yellow poo in colour but very strong sour smell and the whole thing was basically mucus) with a small streak of blood in it. It can take up to three weeks for them to react in some cases; and even up to six for all the dairy protein to get out of their system.

I think the best thing you can do is try an eliminate all dairy from your diet as much as possible and bear in mind it can be a couple of weeks of no dairy (even hidden) whatsoever before you see really consistent results. You do end up having to avoid eating out a lot more than your average person; because most people in takeaways and restaurants don't have the first clue about what is dairy free and what isn't but there are so many alternatives out there now and I do find that these days since so many people have problems with dairy you'll find a lot of normal foods don't have dairy ingredients when they would have in the past (believe it or not even many squashes/cordials used to contain a derivative of casein, its very uncommon now) xx

Wow thanks for taking the time out to write and explain this for me Summer Rain, I know you must be busy with lo, so appreciate it lots.
No wonder your cross about the ghee, my hubby just doesnt get no dairy either,ie "I went to the shop and got you this" malt loaf which already has butter on it, ah well he tried. He also said yesterday when I took a birthday cake to a relative, "oh you can have some of this" it was full of dairy :nope:

She has just done a horrendous poop, she hasnt been for days as had to give her gaviscon for the reflux (only gave her once the bf way) it was all over her, there wasnt an inch of her body that didnt have browny/green slimy poop on it. I even took a piccie so I can show the Dr on Wednesday, I also tried to get her heaving last night, but battery went grrrrrrrr.

What is the best milk as a substitute Summer Rain, I have some soy, but have an awful feeling this and the domperidom is making her worse. She has been really unsettled today, crying and passing wind all day, poor love [sad]
Did you have to go onto any special formula then, or did you wean?
How's your son doing with feeding?

My second youngest was fine with comfort formula but thats before they tampered with it; he does still have issues with dairy though and its worse at some times than at others; at the moment it was causing him sickness and diarrhoea so we took him off it. My second eldest was BF for over one year then we put him on regular soya milk; its only advised from 2 years now but back then it was 12 months its meant to be low fat and thats one of the main reasons they now say 2, but he gained weight fine on it. LO is feeding really well; he hardly ever gets wind, its just when my dairy-free diet is sabotaged lol. Many babies are intolerant to soy as well as the protein is very similar, strangely no-one in my family has ever been though. Rice milk is quite nice if you get used to it; and there are even milks made from oats, coconut (not the usual coconut milk cream but made to be like cow's milk), almonds and hemp! Margarine there is a non dairy, non soya sunflower margarine called Pure; its made by the Kerrygold people. There is a site called goodness direct (google it) which is quite reasonable and does non-dairy alternatives to everything. The only non dairy alternatives I balk at trying are cheese and cheese spread; I think those would be awful. Some people say you can try goats milk and sheeps milk but allergy sites say no as the proteins are too similar and I have had non cows milk cheese and yoghurt made from other animal milks and they did also cause a reaction. If you can establish if its the actual casein or whey, or just lactose thats the problem you may be able to try just lactose free products.

Thanks Summer Rain, I will have a look at that site.
My ds1 had bad reflux and has childhood reflux and he was also fine on the comfort milk (omneo) but we tried Millie on this, she was ok (ish) until they changed the ingredients, but I believe they added soy

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"