A little warning re new toys.

KittyVentura

Autism Mum
Reaction score
So I posted a few days back about Fin seeming bored with his toys. Loads of you gave me fab advice and yesterday I went and spent £100 or so in Argos on loads of noisy Vtech type bits and bobs.

Fin was at his Grandmas for the afternoon as she works in a school and it's half term. I got home, unpacked everything, added batteries where needed and thought I'd surprise Fin by putting most of his old toys in the toy box so that when he got home he'd see all his new toys to play with.

BAAAAAD move.

I sat him down and handed him some toys and he burst into tears and started shaking. He was SEEEEERIOUSLY freaked out and wouldn't go near any of them.

So I think it's not a wise choice to remove all the old toys and replace with loads of noisy flashy new ones. A slow transition and introduction appears to work better.

I've now put most of the new toys away and just have 2 out with lots of old ones this morning and he seems better with that.

SO yeah... just a heads up so you don't make the same "Mummy fail" lol xx

Yes this is definitely good advice. Abigail had a birthday ten days before Christmas so you can imagine the amount of new toys that were around! We just had her open the ones from family who were there and spread the rest over several days so it wasn't such an overload!

Wow!! Excellent advice, we could never afford to do that, we just get him a new approprate toy monthly - but come his birthday, I could see this maybe a problem!
xxx

Wow!! Excellent advice, we could never afford to do that, we just get him a new approprate toy monthly - but come his birthday, I could see this maybe a problem!
xxx

Lol. Ian doesn't know how much it was. I put half on the credit card and half on my personal bank card so I can't get told off for spending so much. Men don't know how much toys are... and I will work this to my advantage.... mwahaahahahahhaa xx

oh no hugs to Bear! Poor little fella. I would never have known that, as with cat lady i just get charlie something cheap and cheerful and colourful every now and again, but on his birthday i'm sure people will go overboard. Thanks for the advice x x

xxx

Lol. Ian doesn't know how much it was. I put half on the credit card and half on my personal bank card so I can't get told off for spending so much. Men don't know how much toys are... and I will work this to my advantage.... mwahaahahahahhaa xx

LOL!!! Yeah, men really dont have much of a clue with these things, my dh couldnt believe the price of a 1st class stamp the other day - the last time he bought one it was 27p. God knows long ago that was!
xxx

I got Erin the Vtech Rocket thing which is like a souped up shape sorter...when you put them all in it 'lifts off' and pops up and the shapes fall out. I thought it was ace, Erin is petrified of the 'lift off' and screams.

Only £2 from the charity shop and hardly played with, so I'm not too devastated. I'll put it away til she's older

Poor Fin :hugs:

what toys did you go for??????? :D

:hugs:

Stolen anything this morning yet? :haha:

The Vtech walker with the detachable front panel bit, The Vtech "freaky ghost ball" thing, The V-tech pop up surprise ball, Vtech tiny driver (but realised this is 12m+ so it's been put away for his birthday), Leapfrog bilingual piano, Chad Valley basket of fruit & a bag of ballpit balls. Oh and a Vtech smartphone thing.

Gonna get some "safe" kitchen bits for him in Wilkos today as someone suggested a fab treasure trove idea with household bits in.

The freaky ghost ball scares me. It moves by itself :wacko:

xxxx

charlie has the walker he loves loves loves it! Xx

Attachments

• 25052011843.jpg
    25052011843.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 27052011859.jpg
    27052011859.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 4
Oh I do love Charlie Bear!!

Is it sturdy enough for him to pull himself up on? Fin is so strong and heavy and I worry he'll topple it xx

So I posted a few days back about Fin seeming bored with his toys. Loads of you gave me fab advice and yesterday I went and spent £100 or so in Argos on loads of noisy Vtech type bits and bobs.

Fin was at his Grandmas for the afternoon as she works in a school and it's half term. I got home, unpacked everything, added batteries where needed and thought I'd surprise Fin by putting most of his old toys in the toy box so that when he got home he'd see all his new toys to play with.

BAAAAAD move.

I sat him down and handed him some toys and he burst into tears and started shaking. He was SEEEEERIOUSLY freaked out and wouldn't go near any of them.

So I think it's not a wise choice to remove all the old toys and replace with loads of noisy flashy new ones. A slow transition and introduction appears to work better.

I've now put most of the new toys away and just have 2 out with lots of old ones this morning and he seems better with that.

SO yeah... just a heads up so you don't make the same "Mummy fail" lol xx

What, no pictures? :dohh:

Poor wee dude, sorry but I giggled...Thomas is always having meltdowns at new stuff/people.

Oh I do love Charlie Bear!!

Is it sturdy enough for him to pull himself up on? Fin is so strong and heavy and I worry he'll topple it xx
Aww thanks :hugs: it is if you prop it up against something like i did with the sofa, it's got so many different functions that monkeychops never gets bored of it. We've even started 'walking' down the hallway in the morning with it to collect the post :) xx

i really want to get nicole stuff but her birthday is 2nd of aug and i know she will get lots. atm shes quite content with empty plastic bottles, my phone (completley wrecked now) and my laptop. she has 3 toy phones but there no good according to her :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->