A puzzle for ya...

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by redberry3, Aug 20, 2009.

1. redberry3

redberry3 Love My Little Peek <3

What would you do?

Friends have a games night every second Friday at around 715pm.

Baby goes to bed at 730pm every night.

When it is not hosted at your house, you now have to find a sitter because of LO early bed time.

Can't find a sitter.

Do you take the baby with you and pack up his playpen and let him sleep in the spare room of the hosts house until you go home, or do you just not go?

Any other suggestions would be fantastic! :flower:
    edit: there is an opportunity for it to be hosted at 4 different house, and only one time out of 4 will it be at our house....so there is a potential for us to possibly only participate when it is hosted at our house.

2. BlackBerry25

BlackBerry25 Helena & Elliot <3

I would bring the playpen. I have a small one I leave in the car and whenever I am at someones house I put her in a spare room and have her sleep in there until we get home. I usually bring her same blanket and stuffed dog for her to cuddle, and she does cry but falls asleep pretty quickly.
    She is always fine and falls back asleep right away in her crib when we get home.

3. Lois

Lois Me, OH, Evie & Joseph

I think it would be fine to take the playpen with you (and baby monitor perhaps). It would be a shame to miss out on so much social time.

4. Sweetie

Sweetie DD, DS, and a Surprise!!!

I do the same thing. Take a playpen her blanket and stuffie and she goes down pretty easily and there isn't usually too much hassle putting her back in the carseat and back to bed at home.

Good Luck figuring it out

5. Lu28

Lu28 Aisling's mammy

I've recently done the same hon, brought her travel cot and did a shortened version of her bedtime routine in a spare room. She went down brilliantly, didn't wake up in the transit home and slept great that night! Go for it! :thumbup:

6. Sarahkka

Sarahkka Mama to Two Fine Boys!

Try it. If it's a disaster, then you'll have to re-think it, but I bet he'll be just fine. I think it's good for babies to have a new sleep environment once in awhile. They see that everything is still fine and get even more secure about being in new places.

7. codegirl

codegirl Mom to Big E & little e

Does everyone else have kids?

The reason I ask is that before we had Edward, we use to get together with friends that had a baby. We would always go to their house to make bedtime easier for them. They appriciated the ease and not needing childcare and didn't mind "hosting" everytime and we didn't mind the drive. Of course, now that we have Edward and they just had their second our get togethers are just afternoons/early evenings.

If your friends don't have kids and the playpen doesn't work out then would they be willing to let you host more often?

8. redberry3

redberry3 Love My Little Peek <3

hey hun. there is only one other couple that has a baby but she has a later bed time. I feel bad for asking them to come over everytime..........:blush:

9. codegirl

codegirl Mom to Big E & little e

Well, I would try the playpen first then. And it also depends on how good of friends they are. The couple we did this with are our closest couple friend so it's very natural for us to talk about what is best for each family. The biggest question for us this year will be New Years as we have gone to their house for YEARS :)

Maybe they could come to your house every other time?

You never know, it might actually be easier for them to come over and they might like the idea (no cleaning, etc associated with hosting). But once again, it depends on how close you are on weither you can ask these kind of things honestly. :hugs:

10. helen1234

helen1234 Well-Known Member

i'm sure they wouldnt mind, it depends how long past bedtime you stay,

we've been to weddings etc and just took his pram to fall asleep we planned if he got grouchy and upset we'd leave,

tonight we're going for a meal at 8pm just as rhys usually goes to bed, last time we did this a few weeks ago they took ages bringing our food but rhys loved beinmg sat in the highchair watching everyone and eatinf bits off our plates and didnt cry once he was entertaining the waiters lol, we went back to his routine the next day lovely, so dot panick if you not 7:30 on the nose.

enjoy your night

xxx

11. FierceAngel

FierceAngel Guest

id take the playpen/travel cot xx

its not like its every night of the week xxx

12. ChloeRobinson

ChloeRobinson Active Member

As many others have been saying, take him and the playpen with you, I do this when I am in your situation :) and that host has never minded, maybe because there are normally drinking wine by the time I get there.

13. Beltane

Beltane Mother of 3 Boys!

I would say go for it and bring the playpen and monitor. It's so much easier when they are this age. Once he is able to climb out of the playpen, life is a little tougher.
    If Alexander is crabby or having a bad night, then have a cuddle up movie night with the hubby. Have fun Jaylene!

14. Tiff

Tiff LIKE A BOSS

We've brought the playYARD. (LOL! It's not PC to call them playpens anymore! I guess it isn't a nice term to 'pen' your child like an animal? :rofl: Sorry, couldn't resist!!!)

Actually we bring both the playpen and our monitors with us when we're going to places, as Claire has an early bedtime as well. The only problem for us is that she doesn't fall asleep as easy in the playpen, and ends up having a major meltdown. Both P and I hate that, and we end up getting tense with each other. We've now decided that we'll have to bow out (or go to things separately) until she's a bit older and has a later bedtime.

That is our situation, which is unfortunate, but if A is fine with being put down in a playpen then I don't see the problem at all! He'll be sleeping, and I bet the car ride on the way home will knock him out again if he wakes up when you are getting him ready to go.

We've even gone so far as to bring a portable CD player/CD for her to listen to while we are out, it has the lullabye's in them that she normally listens to. I found it also helped drowning out the background noise.

:hugs:

15. Dukechick

Dukechick Wife & proud Mom of 2

I'd be all over bringing the playpen?!