A Question about Breastfeeding and Co-Sleeping

Kunama

Mummy to 3 Princesses
Reaction score
Hiyas Ladies,

I have a question regarding breastfeeding and co-sleeping if anyone can give me any advice.

With my first LO I always got up in the night for feeds and took her from our room into the nursery to feed, then put her back in her moses basket when we were done. When second LO arrived I followed the same routine although there were occasions when OH went to work in the morning I would bring her into our bed to feed and I sometimes dozed off.

I had never really heard of co-sleeping before I came on these boards but it makes total sense and I think with having the girls running around it would be great to get all the sleep I can when I can.

My question is, the guidelines say that baby shouldn't sleep between you and OH in the bed, so if baby is only on one side, then they will only feed from one side through the whole night? I can't think of anyway to offer the other breast without putting baby on the otherside and therefor between me and OH. So if LO is feeding more from one side than the other would it cause any issues with supply from the other breast as it is not being stimulated so much?

Sorry if this is a daft question, just something I've been wondering about the last couple of days.

MY oh sometimes sleeps on the sofa and sometimes in the bed, Caine is so close to me and on the boob it would not make a difference though really. I sleep with my arm up and his tucked up to me. I wake in the same position and so does he, and I can swap him over. I start him off in his cot then bring him in with me in the early hours.

Dont use a quilt, I put a light sheet over us or nothing if its warm.... :D

Sometimes its not the feeding as such its for comfort so dont worry about being on one side :D

When Brenn was little, I always sat up to feed. Once he got bigger, I found I could offer him either breast laying down. If I was on my left, obviously the left was easy. If I leaned over him more, I could offer the right. It just took practice.

I bring Marley in bed with me when she wakes up in the morning to feed her. I just give her the easy side first(right) and then lean over her a bit to give her the other side. Once you find a comfortable position it's easy.

When Brenn was little, I always sat up to feed. Once he got bigger, I found I could offer him either breast laying down. If I was on my left, obviously the left was easy. If I leaned over him more, I could offer the right. It just took practice.

If I am on my left, my right is easier to offer!! But I do know how to comfortly offer the left, on the lfet side too...

To the OP, I find I sleep a lot better when Alexa sleeps with me. OH always slept on the couch (great relationship destroyer though) But I really would not worry too much about the one breast at night-and once you get more used to it, you can offer the other breast as well-just takes practice :D You might find that your LO will sleep lighter than your first two, though. Co-sleeping 'disables' the baby to sleep deeply-which can be a good thing, but s/he knows there is a breast there, and may suck all night!

Good luck! :hugs:

There is a guide to offering both sides here without moving here:
https://kellymom.com/bf/start/basics/lactation-yoga.html

LO mainly sleeps on my right, but if he wakes more frequently, or if I feel the need to, I'll swap him to my right in the night. We are happy having LO sleep in between us, OH is aware of his presence and we feel it is sleep. LO's cot is on my right, so I tend to keep him there. I use the other breast right before bed and in the morning.

I've not had any issues with supply, when feeding more from one side during the night. I do tend to favour my other side during the day, so it subconciously balances it out I think!

Good topic, I always swap baby and that's a nightmare! So might have to try feeding him from the top breast next time he is in bed with us

I always swap sides as I have to move or my back kills me! I just put a cushion/pillow behind her and my dh so neither of them roll backwards lol

I cant stay on one side all night i get too uncomfy I just get oh to roll over to the other side.
when hes in the middle of us I make sure oh is facing the baby not with his back to him

when Ed was younger I used a V pillow and wedged it under him then put my free arm over Ed and hold onto the pillow. When I swapped sides I would switch the pillow and wedge it so if DH did roll he would roll onto the pillow and my hand which woke him up and he'd move

I found hubby would wake up if baby woke up crying anyway so I swapped sides of the bed with him. I just got him to roll over and then I'd walk round the bed or climb over him lol. But I did soon get the hang of offering the other breast from above as it were. Now I feed him sitting up and put him back down when he's done but I never remember doing it and I always wake up half an hour later thinking he's still in the bed and I've crushed him or thrown him off and he's there fast asleep in his nest! How he gets there I don't know, lol.

OH worked with a bloke who co-slept, and did roll on to the baby once. Baby quickly woke up!

I'm not nervous about co-sleeping, but then again, LO is absolutely enormous, and really couldn't be squashed.

I co-sleep and have been switching LO over from side to side (OH sleeps in a different room, always has) - never thought of offering the top boob from the same side!! I might try this then I can leave the baby sleeping on the one side all night thanks girls:thumbup:

Thanks for all the info ladies, lots of helpfull tips! :hugs: Will definatly give it a go when LO arrives :)

Now I feed him sitting up and put him back down when he's done but I never remember doing it and I always wake up half an hour later thinking he's still in the bed and I've crushed him or thrown him off and he's there fast asleep in his nest! How he gets there I don't know, lol.

Lol I do this too, I throw the quilt back in panic thinking Olivia is underneath still feeding and then realise she is in her cot :wacko:

Tried offering the top breast this morning and YAY it works. and it's easy

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->