a question about sweeps in the UK

chlojones

Scarlett-Rose 04.06.2011
Reaction score
okay so im due tomorrow, and have a antenatal appointment on thursday. here are my questions:
1. will they do me a sweep on thursday or leave it a while?
2.will they do it at an antenatal or do you have to go to the hospital?
3.what do they actually do?
4. what are my chances of success?
5. how long does it take to work?

so far:
-ive lost my plug, but no bloody show
-my waters havent broke
-been getting period type contractions for the past week
-have BH constantly
-loose bowels
-2/5 engaged
-a fingertip dialated

Thanks xx

oooo good thread i was starting to think about these things as ive got my 40 week check up a week tomoz :-/

1. Seeing as you'll have gone past your due date they'll probably offer you one on Thursday
2. They generally do it at your antenatal
3. The midwife inserts her fingers inside you and feels your cervix. If it's soft and you're dilated enough for her to get a finger inside, she'll be able to sweep her fingers around baby's head, dislodging some of the membranes which hopefully speeds things along! Even if it doesn't work she'll be able to tell you generally how ready your body is for labour
4. They don't always work, and second ones do tend to work better than the first.
5. If it's going to work, it's generally in the first 48 hours

Judging by all your symptoms so far it probably will help move things along though! Hope this helps! X

My midwife said she wouldn't do a sweep until I was 40 weeks, so you should have a good chance, just ask for it hun if you want it.

Area to area is different as I have read about mw doing sweeps at 38 week :shrug:

Good luck x

thanks so much rhian147 thats a massive help!!! xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"