A quick question - laying on back?

Frecks

Reaction score
My lo kicks most when I first lay on my back...is it coz I'm suffocating him? I don't feel lightheaded when I lay on my back and never do it for long as I know we're not meant to but I'm worried I'm harming him?xx

I would like to know this too...I lay on my back still when I watch t.v- And usually when I lay on my back is when I feel the baby the most......

mine normally does too. i do get fizzy limbs after about 5 mins of laying like it. gives me a bad back too. its actually impossible not to lay on your back, lounging in a chair, in the bath, waking up on your back, ultrasounds and heartbeat monitoring, even when in labour you see woman on their backs for hours on end. I dont get why the profs say dont do it because most of the time we are on our backs at apts anyways :S i always sit slouched as i feel like im squashing him if i was upright. i dont think it can harm LO that much. But try to stay flat off your back, if your laying partially up and not flat then you should be fine.

Laying on your back is not hurting your baby. Im not sure why you feel it more when your on your back. I feel it more that way too and did with my first also. I stayed sleeping on my back my whole pregnancy. I couldnt get comfortable any other wy. My doctor told me it was 100% fine and that if something was wrong my body would roll itself over(self protection) while I was asleep or I would start to feel faint and know to roll when I was awake.

I'd go with what yourstruly said - I'm suer your body will alert you to move if you need to even when asleep. I change position through the night from one side to my back to the other side constantly. I'm sure you LO is ok x
I read somewhere that babies kick mroe when you lie still as they are rocked to sleep when you're up and about. So maybe its just that he/she is waking up and having a wriggle - as you say it's when you first lay on your back.

I always deliberately laid on my back when I wanted to see LO move!!

Re flat on back during labour - I couldn't stand it, had to be all fours!!!!

Hey Frecks, what's your due date? you must be very close to me!! i am on the 27th Sept.... x

I agree with yourstruly and I also am most comfortable on my back. I try to lay on my sides but my hips go to sleep! ouch.

I think the reason you feel your little one more on your back and why we have our ultrasounds on our backs is because when you're flat on your back your uterus is pushed forward and it's easier to feel it or for the ultrasound machine to pick up good pictures and movement.

I think you are safe, like the others said just listen to your body. Our bodies were made to procreate and if something like laying on your back for a minute squished your baby we wouldn't have as many successful pregnancies as we do.

Try not to fret sweetie. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"