A Simple Cold During Pregnancy

Genevevex

Reaction score
So, I'm approximately 11 weeks along now. Been dealing with a cold since about 9 weeks. After 3/4 days of it, I finally went to the doctor--I was coughing so much that almost every time I would cough I'd start throwing up. I was miserable. They gave me a z-pack of antibiotics and some cough perls and sent me home. I had another appointment already scheduled for a week later.

At that appointment, I was STILL coughing to the point I was throwing up, but things had gotten somewhat better. The cough was the worst, and I had absolutely NO energy for anything. Way beyond normal pregnancy tired. They gave me another antibiotic, doubled the strength of the cough perls, gave me tylenol with codeine, and sent me home again. Told me if it wasn't better by the end of the week, come back.

Well, I had to go back. STILL coughing to the point of throwing up, STILL no energy, and diarrhea besides. Plus, I had a horrible reaction to the Tylenol with codeine. Doctor said not to take the tylenol anymore. Berated me for being dehydrated, and then gave me an anti-nausea medication. Told me to give it another week and then come back if I'm still not feeling good. Meanwhile telling me "it's just a cold" and the reason I'm not getting over it is "well, you ARE pregnant."

Freaking... ?! Ug! I'm SO frustrated by all this. I feel terrible, and I have to keep working through all of it. They keep telling me to rest, but yet I HAVE to go to work and I have two kids under age 4 at home. Yeah, right.

It sounds like you have something worse than a cold at this point - bronchitis? I've had influenza and a cold during this pregnancy and no way would I presume for it to last so long just because I'm pregnant.

That's what I thought, too. But they DID listen to my chest. And I have been through a round of antibiotics and still having the issues. :\

I agree with above. Must be something more. I've been sick as well, but too stubborn to go to the doctor. My first appointment is next Monday, so I will ask if I am still coughing.

I think mine started in my chest and worked to my head....I understand the pain!

Sounds like more than a cold. And if my dr told me I wasn't getting over something bc I'm pregnant id tell him to suck lemons and send in a different dr.

That being said. I ended up on a whole bunch of meds early this pregnancy bc a cold turned into bronchitis which turned into pneumonia. I was coughing so bad I threw up and eventually started throwing up blood.

I was coughing so bad I threw up and eventually started throwing up blood.

This is exactly what is happening to me! Except I'm throwing up at almost every productive cough. And now every time I throw up there is blood afterwards. But it's just a cold that I'm not getting over.

But they DID listen to my chest, and doesn't your chest usually sound bad with bronchitis or pneumonia?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->