a toddler and a newborn pram situtation

Discussion in 'Toddler & Pre-School' started by sophie22, Jun 6, 2013.

1. sophie22

sophie22 Well-Known Member

What would you or do you do? I was going to get a double buggy, preferably a bumbleride or baby jogger GT double. But I've just seen these ergobaby carriers that look so comfy for baby, I can't help but think I could get a babjy jogger GT single and a carrier, then when my toddler is tired he can go in pushchair and new baby can go in carrier. But then I think, if I go out for the whole day do I really want to be constantly carrying one or trying to keep an eye on the other. And when the new baby is a bit older they may be too heavy to carry or prefer the buggy. I have looked at buggy boards and there is a new one that comes with a seat with belt but I don't want to be kicking my feet on it and it dosnt look like I could recline buggy with the toddler on the back. So as much as I'd love one of these carriers I can't work out what to do for the best!!

2. Mum2b_Claire

Mum2b_Claire Mummy to Ruby & Scarlett!

I would say give yourself more than one option! I had a bigger age gap but bought a buggy board and a sling. The baby actually hated the pram so I ended up selling the buggy board and just using our single and the sling. But I know some people like a sling for some trips out and a double for others.

3. NewMummyx

NewMummyx mummy to 1 and WTT

we have just started TTC again for number 2 but thinking the same!

You can get carseat adaptors and a carrycot for the Mini City Jogger but they are so expensive and a lot of faffing about.

I have an Oyster with a buggy board and an Ergo so trying a combo of those until I feel the baby can go in a Mini City Double as the Mini folds down with one hand :thumbup:

4. jenny82

jenny82 Well-Known Member

I have this and seriously, you couldn't beat it for a double. I constantly get questions about it. One sits in front, the other sits/stands on the back and it has an attachment for a carseat for the newborn stage.

It is so handy for me out & about and gives the older one his freedom to get off if he wants (has straps too though). We have now reached the stage where they swap seats depending on what mood they're in!

5. sophie22

What's this the baby jogger GT double? Or bumbleride indie twin? I don't know anyone with a bumbleride but they are so pretty. The BJ looks great too though, wasn't sure about fitting on bus etc though.
    I think we will get the carrier too though as the OH is really into it, loves the idea so he would probably get a lot of use out of it!

6. jenny82

7. sophie22

Ohhhh lol, that makes sense. I've seen these but I really need all terrain tyres as we use the beach lots, its made the search a nightmare!

8. snowfia

snowfia Well-Known Member

I will be getting a buggy board. And I also have a couple of carriers so the newborn will go in them and DD will go in the pushchair. I also have a quinny with carrycot so if we're not going far DD can walk and the newborn can go in there. Depending on how we all feel at the time haha.
    But I won't be getting a double pushchair, I just don't have the money atm.

9. fairygirl

fairygirl Pregnant, 1 Angel, 2 Rainbows

We got a P&T Navigator as using as a single at the moment. It has a few different options which will hopefully suit us. If I'm honest I'm not a fan of 3 wheels balance wise but it is lighter to push than my iCandy Apple.
    Going to go to local sling library too see if I can try a few out, I got a Pognae which is a ergo style one but I have a stupid frame where my hips are huge but small waist and shoulders so wasn't comfortable.

The Navigator we got on special offer at Kiddicare coz its a stupid colour.

10. EverythingXd

EverythingXd Well-Known Member

Before LO came along, I said I wouldn't need a double. I already had a carrier, and I bought a buggy board for my single Quinny. I thought that gave me 2 options so I was covered. It didn't work out like that though.

Firstly, DS1 had the biggest tantrum when I tried the buggy board... he just will not use it. Secondly, the carrier was fine but if I walked to a play group (which was mainly the case) when I got there I didn't want to wear LO as it made it awkward to play with DS1. Also he was wrapped up for being outside and I was therefore worried he would overheat when we were inside. My Quinny stroller can be tilted so it's almost flat, so I could put LO in there but taking him out of the carrier into the stroller woke him :shrug:

So I bought a Baby Jogger City Mini off eBay (£185, delivered). It is like brand new and I love it. I'm sure if DS1 had liked the buggy board I wouldn't have needed it though - DS1 never sleeps in the buggy, and does like to walk but we quite often go for long walks.

11. lau86

lau86 Well-Known Member

We have got this for LO and the new baby. I got it second hand off eBay for £80. There is the option to put a second seat at the back now too, it is just so versatile I hope it all works out. It's really lightweight for a double too.
    It's not the prettiest though!

12. jenny82

Like a second car seat or a second proper pram-type seat? That would be handy actually as when we first started using it, we did have a moment when he was about to doze off on a walk and it just couldn't happen. Hasn't happened since though :)

It definitely isn't the prettiest but it really does do the job, and it has a HUGE basket underneath for all the crap of 2 toddlers. Plus the centre of gravity is really good on it so I can hang loads of stuff off the back and it will never fall. Now that they are both toddlers, I get such good use out of it.

13. KittyVentura

KittyVentura Autism Mum

I had (and still have) an amazingly well walking toddler. He listens well, has amazing stamina, walks at a great speed, holds my hand when needed, knows to walk on the inside, asks for my hand when we go near what he knows to be a busy road etc etc. I was convinced for a LONG time we would manage fine with the Ergo and the single with buggy board. But last minute we decided to get a double and I doubt I would have managed without it... Especially in winter. We got a baby jogger city select and t s fab. We are using it less and less now and I think we will be selling it in a couple months. Today was the first day in maybe 2 weeks it got used.

We use a whole mix of things. Both walking (to very close park), him walking & her in the Ergo, him walking and her in the Quinny, her in Ergo and him in the stroller, her in the double with him walking... Double as back up because he isn't 100% or is in a bad mood or we need to rush etc, both in double etc etc xx

14. bumpbear

bumpbear First time mama

How about the mountain buggy duo- side by side double which is so cleverly designed that its the same width as a single. Has all the parent facing/car seat options too. My friend has it and its amazing!

15. MumToEva

MumToEva Well-Known Member

A tandem might be a good option for you rather than a side by side - that way you have the option of using it as a single with a buggy board or the sling, but you can attach the double seat as / when needed. I have a P&T navigator, and that's how I plan to use it - the double seat detaches really easily, so can just be kept in the car boot and used when needed. Plus it has the all terrain wheels you are after. I've only been using mine as a single so far, but i love it. :shrug:

16. lau86

lau86 Well-Known Member

That's really great to know its so well used! The second seat is an extra pram seat, it's called the too rear seat or something? I haven't bought it yet but I gather it just clips on

17. hubblybubbly

hubblybubbly Well-Known Member

We're having an iCandy peach blossom for double, we've got a silver lining stroller for dd1 and I'm off to a sling meet to find a carrier I'm happy with for dd2 when she arrives, I'm getting a buggy board also...

Basically so I've got lots and lots of options dependant on both toddler and baby mood, mummy tiredness levels and what occasion (ie long walk/short walk/shopping) as I can see willow being happy to walk one day, refusing buggy the next etc etc etc..

18. mummy2be...

mummy2be... Well-Known Member

I've just ordered an oyster max with a buggy board as well as 2 seats and a carry cot and car seat adapters, we'll have plenty of options :)

19. I have brought an Oyster Max but also thinking of getting an Ergo and babywearing most of the time. Then if I ever don't feel like babywearing/baby doesn't like it I can use a double (that converts into a single). Plus I don't think FOBs/my parents will be into babywearing :haha:

I wouldn't waste my money on a double that doesn't convert if im honest (unless you re keeping your original pram) as your just going to have to spend that money again at a later date when your eldest out grows a pram but your youngest still needs one.