A Word Of Advice.......My Story (long sorry)

MommaLisa

Reaction score
When I decided to breastfeed, I admit it was for selfish reasons. I was hoping to lose the baby weight that I had gained during pregnancy.
My daughter was born and right to the boob she went. It was going almost too good to be true. She had the perfect latch from the start so I hardly got sore nipples. She went for her 1 week check up and while she had lost almost a pound, I was still given the green light to exclusively breastfeed. My milk supply was great and as a matter of fact, I had a bit of oversupply. I was in heaven. It was going so so well.
And then the first growth spurt hit. It was getting to the point where I dreaded her waking up because I didn't want to feed her. My nipples hurt like hell and from 4pm to 9 or 10pm I couldn't move off the couch or put her down. It was also taking a toll on my other two children, one of whom is special needs.
So came the first bottle of formula. And it was great. I actually got 3 hours to do what I needed to do and spend time with my two other kids. It was so great in fact I gave her another before bed. I got a nice amount of sleep and thought well this isn't so bad after all. The bottles of formula just kept coming. She seemed to be doing well and I was no longer dreading her being awake. And then about a week later the problems started. Projectile vomiting, constant constipation, and very very fussy from her tummy hurting. A trip to the doc and he said it takes some time for them to get used it so I kept it up. That was when she 3 weeks old. Well 2 weeks later and the problems were still there. After trying different formulas and it not getting better, I decided enough was enough. Back to the boob she was going. I was so hell bent on getting her back on the breast milk that she never had trouble with. So I bought a $300.00 pump, stocked up on fenugreek, and away I went. I started pumping 1.5 to 2 hours a day and every 2 hours at night. My baby is 8 weeks old now and I am still no where near where I need to be. I can pump all day and it takes a day and a half to get 1 bottle to feed her. You name the pill or herb and I have tried it. My nipples are so so sore and I am exhausted. I am on the verge of giving up.
Please if you are just starting or considering breastfeeding, keep at it or give it a shot. I am so kicking myself in the ass now. All these problems she has now just because I didn't want to tough it out and feed constantly for a few hours. I would give anything to go back to it. I miss it so much. I think it may be too late for me but before you pick up that bottle remember that it could take weeks to see what affect it could have on them. Stick with it and be proud. I wish I would have.

Just a note: this was only my story and is no way meant to offend those who physically cannot breastfeed.

I bf now with no problems and its the best and easiest thing ever, but it wasnt always that way. The first 2 weeks were especially hard and more than once formula crossed my mind but so glad i perservered. I hope some new mum sees your post and feels encouraged by it. :hugs:
Do you try her on the boob or just express? :flower:

I do try her on the boob. She still latches on well but does not suck hard enough to actually eat. She gets what comes with the let down but gets nothing after that. I really hope someone can benefit from my story which is why I posted it. Thanks for taking the time to read it :)

Thanks for posting your story.I hope it helps someone who is struggling,and I hope you can get back to exclusive breastfeeding if thats what you want:hugs:

Good luck with everything, you sound like a fantastic mum who was trying to do her best by all of her children. You should be proud of yourself whatever the outcome xxx

Thanks ladies. My husband is off work for three days this weekend so I plan to do nothing but stay in bed with her and feed feed feed with her on the boob. I am gonna try not to give her formula if I can help it. I really don't care if she is on me 24/7 for a few days to get this fixed. If it doesn't work I am gonna quit beating myself up over it. Thank you for the words of encouragement. :)

:hugs: What an amazing mom you are! Not selfish hun, but selfless. I can imagine it's not easy... but not every mom can do what you're doing. BnB BFers are here to support you and say Well Done!
....on a side note... oatmeal realllllllly helped with my supply :flower:

I really hope you can get things up to speed again; and if you can't you really have done more than your best, don't beat yourself up and hopefully someone who is having doubts as to whether to quit or not will take heed of your lovely advice :D xx

These are many of the reasons why I am now an EE as my baby failed to take to the breast. It isn't easy but worth it. I saw in pregnancy first hand the detrimental effects FF has on the sensitive system of babies. My cousin's baby failed to latch and after a month of expressing for her baby she decided to switch to FF, he suffered horrible constipation,(not pooing unless he was on strong laxatives), and severe gas and stomach cramps. This is what keeps me going, and I sincerely hope that you can re-establish your supply, it is never too late. I have read stories of women re latching months after stopping and adoptive mothers doing so too.

I hate to jinx it but I think it's slowly getting better. She just had a feeding and fed off the right for 15 minutes and the left for 10. After she only took 1oz.of formula. That made me so ecstatic. Was just the motivation I needed.

I hate to jinx it but I think it's slowly getting better. She just had a feeding and fed off the right for 15 minutes and the left for 10. After she only took 1oz.of formula. That made me so ecstatic. Was just the motivation I needed.

You're an amazing mum! :thumbup: :kiss:

Well done you for being so determined sending you lots of luck for this wend and hope it all goes well :)

Well done. Sounds like you're doing great! :hugs:

Well it sounded to me that you needed to do the bottle thing to look after your 3 children and yourself!I felt terrible as when lo was born he was so small and then lost over 10 percent of weight so I gave him formula topups aswell as bf after a week and felt so bad. I finally finally got my milk supply back on track by expressing/feeding on demand but it took about 6 weeks. Im pleased to be still bf now at 6 months but i just would not have been able to give so much time to the cause if i had one (or 2!!)kiddies around as it took up all my time so you have done amazing. I really am pro breastfeeding but i hate the guilt factor if you give your baby some formula for whatever reason you are feeding the baby and thats the main thing!good for you good luck with it xx

You are doing an amazing job well done! Good luck for the weekend, you've had a promising start :)

Thanks for sharing, and I hope you manage to breastfeed your LO for as long as you want to :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->