Abdominal muscles

missjess

Mummy of a prince
Reaction score
I still get some cramps/spasms in my abdominal muscles when I stretch, and sometimes when I do crutches. It was fine a few months after giving birth, but it seems now that I'm working out a lot more they get really painful, which never happened before I was pregnant.

Anyone get this? Is it just normal, like they're still getting back to normal ??
It's almost been 18 months since I gave birth... :shrug:

Well I'm only 9 months so not has far as you. I have separated abdominal muscles that were really very painful during pregnancy. I saw a physio about 2 or 3 months after the birth who gave me exercises to do and they closed up fine over just a few weeks. She recommended I get the MW to refer me at the start of any future pregnancies.

If you are doing crunches and getting pain I would suggest not doing them! If you do that sort of exercise and your muscles are properly together then it works to separate them further. I had to start out with just raising my neck.

You can test you muscles by feeling just above your belly button while lying on your back and lifting you head a little. That way you can feel the edge of the muscles. They shouldn't be more than about 3 finger widths apart at the naval. If you think they are further apart you should probably ask for a referral to a physio to get checked out and get exercises.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->