Abnormal amount of Diabetes tests because I'm over weight?

Ever_After

Reaction score
The amount of diabetes tests I've so far had to do seems extreme to me, especially seeing as all the results have come back excellent. I've just been scheduled for my 5th test. I know that I'm over weight, I had lost quiet a bit (60+) pounds before pregnancy but have gained quite a bit back. I don't feel comfortable asking the dr if it's because of my weight but has anyone else on the heavier side had a higher number of tests?

Maybe they're just surprised that I DON'T have it and think the tests are wrong? I'm actually a healthier eater and walk my dog regularly despite my weight.

I don't think there is any harm in just asking directly. I would keep it generalized without any accusations, simply ask, this is my 5th diabetes test, they all have been negative, can I please know why so many tests are required? They should answer your question. If not, if they give you a vague kind of wishy-washy, then you can proceed to ask more hard hittingly. You never know.

Do you know the signs to look out for?

I was told I needed one when I had my son 3 years ago but refused as I felt ok and knew what to look out for. I was told that feeling fine was not an indication I didn't have it, and when I replied, "if that's the case why don't you test everyone?" the midwife couldnt answer me.

If you're fed up don't have another one and keep vigilant about the signs.. Thirst etc. :) xx

I am overweight as well but only had the one 3 hour test which came back negative and nothing else...5 seems very excessive at any weight, I would go ahead and ask what's going on so you know

last pregnancy I had two. This time they wanted to do two again and so far it's looking like I'll only have 1 as they haven't scheduled. 5? That is ridiculous.

I would flat out refuse any more-that's ridiculous! I was upset when they wanted to test me early this time because I'm overweight too but I'm not huge by any means and I've never had it with my other pregnancies however I am older this time which increases your risk especially after 30 so I told them I would monitor my sugars for 2 weeks instead of the nasty glucola test, she wasn't happy about it but it's my choice...I would say the same for you, it's your choice and yes it does sound like they're being ridiculous about it.

That is insane. I've had to do two this pregnancy, and will refuse if they try to get me to do it again. And I've got a feeling they will as my doctor keeps saying I don't have diabetes, yet.

You should definitely ask why they keep testing you too. A lot of people forget that doctors work for you, and they should be 100% honest with what they're doing. I've had to confront my doctor several times already this pregnancy because they keep running tests without telling me why or the results of them.

I always say it is better to be safe than sorry. Having gd and controlling it is not just about the weight/size of the baby. As you get closer to your due date your placenta deteriorates quite rapidly and this can lead to problems.
I have gd and I am constantly worried about when I don feel baby move as much. I am 35 weeks now and she was breech. My movements in the last few days have changed so I may go in for monitoring later.

I'm overweight, I had one test, came back perfect and that was that. Maybe ask why you are getting so many?

That's a lot of tests! I think you have no reason to avoid asking flat-out why so many tests, and asking specifically if it's because of your weight if the answer isn't what it should be. They're Dr's so either way they shouldn't be uncomfortable with talking about a person's weight if that's the reason, and shouldn't keep from you other reasons if that's what it is. You need to be informed and you can make the decision for yourself if you really want that 5th test.

I have a new Dr. this pregnancy and from our first meeting when I told her I had babies just under 9 lbs and gained 50-60 lbs each pregnancy, she "asked" in an assuming way if I had diabetes. I said no, and her reaction seemed to doubt that that was true. I feel like she might be the type of Dr to request a second test down the road even if the first one turns out fine...

I do think 5 is a very high number and would be asking why! Having said that, undiagnosed GD can be very serious so better checked several times than sorry. I'm GD and the complications of untreated GD aren't good. High BMI and a family history of diabetes are risk factors but don't necessarily follow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->