Abnormal early scans

Bri1219

Reaction score
I went for my first scan on 2/20 which based on my LMP would have put me at 8+2. My gestational sac was 16mm, the yolk sac looked good, but no fetal pole detected. Hcg levels at 42,000. They said I probably just ovulated late, not to worry. I went in on 2/22 for a repeat quant which showed 58,000. Made them do another ultrasound, still no fetal pole but my sac had grown to 20mm. The doctor said she was a little more concerned just to follow up in a week. I went in on 2/27 and my hcg levels were 102,000, my sac measured 24mm, and there was a fetal pole only 1.8mm long, no heartbeat yet. The ultrasound tech and the doctor said it looks completely normal that they expect everything to progress fine, but I'm still a bit worried on why my sac is so big and baby so small. Baby was conceived on 1/14 and I had a positive test on 2/2, so I don't think I could be much less than 8 weeks? Any input??? I go back 3/8 for another scan.

My dr said it's a 50/50 situation, but she thought it would be fine when I went in at 9+3 and my [current pregnancy] embryo measured 7+5. I got 3 more ultrasounds to check size, and the fetus caught up more & more with my dates. I'm now 19 weeks along. Don't give up hope. It sometimes means the embryo was not healthy, and sometimes it is just a fluke and the embryo is fine. I hate that you just can't know for sure what's going on yet, but you should know for sure at the next scan, I hope. Fingers crossed!

With the gestational sac measurement, that would put you at 7 week 3 days at that last scan, so yes, the fetal pole does seem small. The growth is supposed to be 1mm per day once you hit 6 weeks. But I've been on this site long enough to know that not all viable pregnancies follow the typical path. The measurement can be off 5 days so that could put you more like in the 6 week range. Hopefully your next scan things will have caught up or at least you'll have more information. I hate the not knowing (been there a few times). Good luck to you

I've had this happen and it wasn't a happy ending however as said by other poster I've seen lots of strange things in pregnancy that have turned out just fine, no need to worry yet x

Thanks, I willl update as I know more. Would my hcg still be rising that well if it wasn't a viable pregnancy?

yes its possible for hcg to rise well even in a non viable pregnancy, on my last loss it was in the hundreds of thousands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->