Abnormal pap,turned colposcopy, turned biopsy...

PeachDaisy

Expecting my rainbow <3
Reaction score
Most of you ladies already know what my husband and I have been through so far this year. But for those who don't here's a quick recap.

My husband and I have been TTC since about October of 2012.

I got my first ever BFP in January but later found out that it was an ectopic pregnancy and I was pregnant in my left ovary.

Ectopic was treated with methotrexate and pregnancy was gone.

Now, here we are almost 8 months later. I had my annual pap in June. Well, that came back abnormal. I was told atypical cells were found on my cervix. My Dr. assured me that it wasn't anything serious and not to worry. (Because we all know not worrying is easy!) He scheduled me for a colposcopy to be done on July 30th. While checking my cervix on the 30th he did see the abnormalities. So of course a biopsy was done. Three different samples of tissue have been sent off.

I now have my follow up appointment on August 12th to go over results from the biopsy.

I can't help but to continue being nervous. My Dr. is so confident that this isn't anything cancerous and I still should not be worrying. That is so much easier said than done.

Has anyone else been through this and everything turn out okay with the biopsy results? If not, what kind of treatment had to be done to get rid of the cells? Any stories anyone would like to share would be appreciated.

All my husband and I want more than anything is to start our family. I'm just praying that this is nothing serious and we can move forward after the 12th of this month.

P.S. I am so sorry for the book!

I've only had maybe 2 normal paps in the past 20 years, so I'm a pro at this. I have paps every 6 months and also a colp done every other pap. With something minor like this they will either just do cryosurgery (they freeze the cells) to zap them in the doctors office or they won't do anything at all and just re-pap in 6 months to look for changes. Abnormal paps are super common!

I actually had cryosurgery done *while* i was pregnant with my daughter. This shouldn't affect ttc in any way whatsoever :)

I've had very similar experience as the PP when I was 21 (I'm now 35). I wouldn't worry too much about it!

I've only had maybe 2 normal paps in the past 20 years, so I'm a pro at this. I have paps every 6 months and also a colp done every other pap. With something minor like this they will either just do cryosurgery (they freeze the cells) to zap them in the doctors office or they won't do anything at all and just re-pap in 6 months to look for changes. Abnormal paps are super common!

I actually had cryosurgery done *while* i was pregnant with my daughter. This shouldn't affect ttc in any way whatsoever :)

Thank you so much for your input!

I feel better hearing something positive about this in a TTC perspective.

I understand the worry but this is very common. I've never had treatment but have had colpos and biopsies. It doesn't affect ttc so try not to worry.

Don't want to read and run. I hope everything comes back clear and it's nothing :hugs: xxxx

I've had colposcopies and biopsies galore... eventually I had LETZ (LOOP) heat treatment to get rid of the abnormal cells - only because they weren't getting any better after 2 years and I was fed up of the 3 monthly smears!

ANYWAY - I got pregnant first month of trying 5 months after treatment. So I guess what I am saying is - even if you need treatment it won't make any difference to your TTC journey... i was told we could start trying right away - we didn't want to right at that point.

I'm sure you will be fine, but if you do need some treatment feel free to PM me xx

I've been through this twice in the last four years and it S*CKS so I totally understand what you're going through, in fact, my pap on June 11th was abnormal but they said we could keep trying and if I was pregnant, we would do the colposcopy after giving birth b/c even if, God Forbid, it was pre-cancerous, it takes about 5 years for it to turn into cancer. Plus, my abnormality was determined to be only one level away from normal. That's why cervical cancer is the most treatable if you catch it early on.

My last two biopsies were totally fine when the results came back. I believe the biopsy revealed low grade squamous abnomalities & they have a wait & see approach with that. This is likely caused by hpv... sadly it's so common they don't even test for it anymore b/c it's not worth it unless there are other complications. Your body [if this is the case for you] will most likely clear it up itself within a few years...still super annoying though.

Good luck!

I came across this thread and I actually had to create an anonymous name so that I could tell my story since its a bit personal. Abnormal apps are very common but there is always that chance of it being pre cancerous so it must be watched carefully. We were on bcp for over 7 years so I did get my annual paps so I could get my rx. Shortly before we started thinking about trying to conceive I went in for a pap and it came back abnormal cin 1, so they did they watch and see approach because I didn't have insurance at the time. Jan 2012 I went in for the follow up colpo and the pathology came back cin 1 pre cancerous so they scheduled me for a cone biopsy. I had the cone biopsy and everything healed fine but the pathology came back as positive margins for cin1 and precancerous cells so I was refered to an oncologist who asked if we were ttc so I said yes we wanted children but hadn't tried yet. He said if I had had children already they would be scheduling a hysterectomy but because I hadn't had children he would do everything he could to help me. I had another cone biopsy with clear margins however I was ordered for paps and ecc every3 months with possible colpos periodically. Shortly after the 2nd cone biopsy I had horrible pain and cramps but never got my period come to find out I had cervical stenosis and my cervix healed completely shut. I had to have a d&c and even then I wasn't "fixed" started ttc shortly after but I still have irregular bleeding due to the cervical stenosis and I have had now 3 d&c's to keep my cervix from healing shut again. I just went for my pap and ecc yesterday so now I am anxiously await results. If I get abnormal results again he wants to do a radical trachalectomy were they remove the whole cervix and place an abdominal cerclage. So now the race is on to get pg. we are set up with the re to get the process moving for iui since there is a chance now that it will be harder for sperm to navigate my cervix. But we are praying that we conceive naturally first. But I think iui is inevitable. I'm just praying we get get pg before I get any abnormal results again.

I'm not trying to scare you. And yes it is very common but there are always risks associated with any medical procedure and when he warned me of cervical stenosis I was just like ok well do what you have to do to get rid of the cancerous cells.technology is wonderful now Adays and I am just glad to even be given the chance to ttc. If this happened to my mom she should have had to have a hysterectomy.

My cancer was called adenocarcinoma in situ of the cervix. So never pass this off as normal or comman. Check with your doctor or you path report and see what grade cin you have.

I thought I would add,

Yes, this was caused by HPV. And like a pp said they no longer test for HPV they just assume if you have abnormal cells that it is HPV. I think it's wonderful that they have the gardasil medicine now but I think it's more important to have education of HPV then a vaccine. Thinking back onto the sex education I received in 5th grade and then again in 8th grade health class. They showed us a picture of a penis with warts on it but no one ever showed a picture of a cervix. Healthy or unhealthy.

I wish you the best if luck.

I want to thank all of you for your advice and experiences...good and bad.

I had my follow up today. Good news is, I don't have cancer. Bad news is, I was diagnosed with high grade squamous intraepithelial lesion aka HSIL CIN 2. So basically I have a lesion on the outside of my cervix that is also affecting the inside of my cervix...but there isn't actually anything on the inside. Meaning I will have to have LEEP done to do a cone biopsy so that this doesn't become cancer. I'm thankful that this has been caught and something can be done, but ultimately I do fear the fertility issues this can cause. All we want to be able to do is have children and have a family. I know that it is still possible to get pregnant after a cone biopsy, however lower fertility is a risk as well as preterm labor. And then there are the unfortunate situations like Anonymousttc1 has been and continues to go through. As of right now I'm waiting for the call from the surgeon to schedule the surgery and then we will go from there.

I really appreciate all the support from everyone on this site. It means the world to me to have a group of ladies I can turn to.

I'm sorry hun!! I'm really hoping everything goes well for you. I feel the same way you do about just wanting to start my family and be done with these abnormal paps. Fx for your surgery. xo :hug:

The good news is that they caught it when they did. Try keep positive; there are always risks but the majority of women end up fine and able to have kids!

I hope your treatment goes well. Take care of yourself!

Thanks ladies. I am hoping for the best, that's for sure. I will keep everyone updated as it all goes on.

I have had a pretty similar history to you. I had an ectopic (although my tube had to be taken) and then got my abnormal pap. They did biopsies and found it to be moderately pre-cancerous and wanted to monitor. Six months later it was severe when they did more biopsies so they went ahead and did cryotherapy (freezing off the bad cells) I recently had my six month check up from then and my pap turned out normal :) Most of the time what they catch is super easy to get rid of. The people that end up getting cervical cancer are usually people that don't get regular paps. I know how worried you are because I was the same way. :) Good Luck !

Sorry to hear of your results peach daisy. I'm really glad that they are able to do a cone biopsy and I'm going to pray that you get clear margins. Squamous is better to have. (Wel neither one is good, but squamous is better) My cells were glandular which is why they took such an aggressive approach. I didn't start having problems until after the 2nd cone biopsy so hopefully my story is just a worst case scenario. Like the pp said...you will be able to have children. It just might not be as easy.

The hardest part of the whole process for me was being private about it. I didn't want to admit to anyone that this is why we weren't pregnant yet because I didn't want people to feel sorry for me. But at the same time it really is a super stressful process. Between appointment and mris and ct scans, etc it really took a toll on our marriage. I didn't start feeling better until my oncologist referred me to have a consult with a maternal fetal doctor and he eased most of my fears about my cervical length. And our RE is a saint. I'm blessed to just have a great combination of doctors and a great husband to reassure me that we will get through this.

And you will as well ...

I want to thank all of you for your advice and experiences...good and bad.

I had my follow up today. Good news is, I don't have cancer. Bad news is, I was diagnosed with high grade squamous intraepithelial lesion aka HSIL CIN 2. So basically I have a lesion on the outside of my cervix that is also affecting the inside of my cervix...but there isn't actually anything on the inside. Meaning I will have to have LEEP done to do a cone biopsy so that this doesn't become cancer. I'm thankful that this has been caught and something can be done, but ultimately I do fear the fertility issues this can cause. All we want to be able to do is have children and have a family. I know that it is still possible to get pregnant after a cone biopsy, however lower fertility is a risk as well as preterm labor. And then there are the unfortunate situations like Anonymousttc1 has been and continues to go through. As of right now I'm waiting for the call from the surgeon to schedule the surgery and then we will go from there.

I really appreciate all the support from everyone on this site. It means the world to me to have a group of ladies I can turn to.

I didnt see this post until after I posted my story. I had CIN3 (one step worse than yours) and they were able to completely get rid of it. A friend of mine had a cone biopsy and she was able to have a healthy baby girl, no complications whatsoever. :) The only thing my DR said about fertility was that since I developed scar tissue around my cervical opening it might be harder for me to dilate when I give birth, so my chances of a c-section are higher.

I am confident to say that I think you and your fertility will be just fine :)

Most of you ladies already know what my husband and I have been through so far this year. But for those who don't here's a quick recap.

My husband and I have been TTC since about October of 2012.

I got my first ever BFP in January but later found out that it was an ectopic pregnancy and I was pregnant in my left ovary.

Ectopic was treated with methotrexate and pregnancy was gone.

Now, here we are almost 8 months later. I had my annual pap in June. Well, that came back abnormal. I was told atypical cells were found on my cervix. My Dr. assured me that it wasn't anything serious and not to worry. (Because we all know not worrying is easy!) He scheduled me for a colposcopy to be done on July 30th. While checking my cervix on the 30th he did see the abnormalities. So of course a biopsy was done. Three different samples of tissue have been sent off.

I now have my follow up appointment on August 12th to go over results from the biopsy.

I can't help but to continue being nervous. My Dr. is so confident that this isn't anything cancerous and I still should not be worrying. That is so much easier said than done.

Has anyone else been through this and everything turn out okay with the biopsy results? If not, what kind of treatment had to be done to get rid of the cells? Any stories anyone would like to share would be appreciated.

All my husband and I want more than anything is to start our family. I'm just praying that this is nothing serious and we can move forward after the 12th of this month.

P.S. I am so sorry for the book!

Hey, I'm 25 and just gone through this.

I had my smear in march and it came back abnormal.

So went for a colposcopy and that came back as CIN3 and that I needed to go for a LLETZ

you've already had the other 2, the LLETZ sounds so much worse than it is - I read up on it and was prepared for the worst, I got in there - they stuck a gel thing on my leg and told me it was over! I didn't feel the injection for either (colposcopy or LLETZ) - I ended up just having time to be worried about having to take the gel patch off of my leg (HAIRS) - but even that was gel and not wax - had tea and biscuits. Was on my period anyway and blead for about 3 weeks quite lightly.
no swimming, sex or tampax for 4 weeks.

Results back, nothing further and next smear in 6 months.

Dad had lung cancer, mum had breast cancer - the worrying was horrific! but I think its just something that happens.
I have also been told that most women get it but it can be between smears and goes away on its own, so never detected. I wasn't going to have it done, but because of my parents it wasn't worth the risk... Looking back now, I'm so glad that I did, the procedures are nothing to worry about AT ALL!

I did get told that the LLETZ shortens the cervix or something just slightly and can cause early labour and so will need to inform my midwife when the time comes.

I've literately just been through this, my 4 weeks of nothing was last month so - its all pretty fresh if you have any questions I'll do my best to answer x

The normal paps is what had me worried at first. Unfortunately, due to financial situations, I hadn't been in a few years until this year. I know...VERY bad. So immediately yesterday I was putting the blame on myself. Obviously, I had no control over this happening, but I do feel like if I had been going yearly like I am supposed to then it would have been caught sooner and and easier procedure could have been done. As much as I keep blaming myself, I have got to stop bc this stress probably isn't helping anything. Since this isn't cancer, I shouldn't be so hard on myself. I'm just extremely thankful that there is a way to get rid of these nasty cells!

Hi PeachDaisy I'm sorry to hear about your results I know how you feel x Please try not to worry. When we were TTC 5 years ago I had a routine smear test and can back with CIN 2/3 severe dyskariosis I was terrified :/ I was rushed through and had colposcapy and LLTEZ, in effect they took away part of my cervix. In the follow up appointment I asked to doctor how soon I could resume TTC and he told me not for at least 6 months!! I was truelly devastated :( we'd been trying for 4 months and all I could think about was babies and to be told to hold off was just crushing. We had to not have sex for 4 weeks after but a drunked night out with my husband we got reacquainted :) and fell pregnant! I couldn't beleive as we'd be trying for a few months before and nothing.. The doctor said that there was a high risk of miscarriage due to my healing cervix so I just waiting it out and my confidence grew with every week that passed. At 32 weeks however my cervix started to open and I went into early labour, luckily they managed to stop it with a drip and I spent the night in the labour ward, they gave me a steriod injection in my thigh to strengthen babies lungs. I was then put on bed rest, at 35 weeks my waters broke but didn't go into labour I didn't have any contractions so was given antibotics. I made it to 36 weeks and my boy was born with no complications and a quick easy labour. He was 6lb 7oz and a just brilliant. No early care needed. I think I was truelly lucky and simply my cervix was ready to hold a baby in after the op but somehow made it through. Whatever happens hon you'll be ok and you will get your baby x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"