About to start TTC #2 at 41 - how much folate?

patooti

Pregnant - 2nd Trimester
Reaction score
I'm about to start TTC #2. I'm 41 and looking to start supplements. It seems like methylfolate is the way to go but I'm wondering about dose? How much are people taking if they are TTC and taking this supplement?

Hmmmm... Sorry I didnt just want to read and dash. I dont know much about methylfolate, I only know about folic acid, which is the same thing, but not? lol

My fertility docs have me on a prenatal which already has the folic acid and then they have me on an extra 1mg of folic acid. Not sure if methylfolate falls under the same dosages though!

Women planning on becoming pregnant should consume between 800 and 1200 mcg of folate per day for several months before the start of pregnancy. It is well known for its role in preventing neural tube defects in newborns, so women of childbearing age must be sure to have an adequate intake prior to and during pregnancy. Folate taken before conception and during the first few weeks of pregnancy can prevent seven out of ten cases of neural tube defects.
Excellent sources of dietary folate include vegetables such as romaine lettuce, spinach, asparagus, turnip greens, mustard greens, parsley, collard greens, broccoli, cauliflower, beets, and lentils. However, too much folate isn’t a good idea. Check with your supplements (if you are taking any) for the amount of folate and then adjust your dose accordingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->